HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Discussion
What's your winter project?

I have two at the top of my wishlist. I'm looking at a 2.6 meter DG1000 for my heavy aerobatic glider and either an Avia, Astra, or Pegasus from Topmodel for a floater. I'm going to go for an uncovered version so I have a little work to keep me busy and because I want a custom color scheme. The Specter 1800 is still a very enjoyable general purpose sailplane but it's just a bit heavy for a "pure floater" and just isn't as pretty as a scale bird on those low stunts and flybys.

What's on your wish list?
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Oops! Here's a link for the DG 1000 I'm lusting for. I figure I will have plenty of nasty weather, here in Minnesota, to deal with converting it to electric power and addressing any Chinese QC issues I run into. My other dream gliders can be seen at EspritModels.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Working on a Sunracer electric pylon job right now. 4 metre full house Pulsar for next season is in the works a soon as it's back in stock. That's it for me this winter.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Have you asked Wayne at Aloft Hobbies if he can get your Pulsar before Esprit? It might be worth an email.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,452 Posts
I'm rebuilding my Pulsar 3.2REF.

Had a little flying mishap.

--------------
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined May 2010
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I'm rebuilding my Pulsar 3.2REF.

Had a little flying mishap.

--------------
Wow, this is one of those moments when you want punch yourself.
Been there, hit the invisible stump on landing. Sorry.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Wow, this is one of those moments when you want punch yourself.
Been there, hit the invisible stump on landing. Sorry.

Zb/Esprit Model
The Rx decided to do its own thing from 1200'. Unfortunately it decided on full throttle and a vertical descent. Happened at the beginning of flying season this year and zero problems since. Offending Rx got smashed with hammer.

------
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm going to put together a Poly Pulsar 2E with a "Normal" tail. I wanted a 2M Pulsar for a while now. I just had to wait for the "normal" tail version to come out. It finally happened.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Peter,

Winters are long and cold up here in Northern Vermont, so I've got to have several projects in my shop keeping me über busy...

- Finish up a ST Models DG-1000 with modified motor and fresh fibrecloth +CA, paint, kewl scale stickers. Just needs covering, CA, paint.

- 1:10 scale, 1,6m ASK-13 scratch build. Fuselage and left wing are done, just need to build right wing and cover, install my new Graupner mx-16 gear.

- HK ASK-21Mi 2m converted to front motor with fibrecloth +CA, paint, scale stickers. Fixing up for a friend. Needs rudder covered and paint.

- 1:8 scale, 2m ASK-13 scratch build with klapptriebwerk SLS extracted from above ASK-21 Mi. This will be a fun, retro old school meets new school. I have the short kit laser cut already with updated jig attached, just waiting for the work bench to be cleared on the 1,6m ASK-13

- Top Model.cz Parada 2m electric, such a nice sailplane kit. OMG... what a find, NOS from Sal at NESail.com and a rocking great price :-) . This will give my Radian a run for the money in thermals and ridge soaring. It is such a well built R/E sailplane and can penetrate head winds like no tomorrow with the fiberglass fuselage and really, really nice wing.

- e-flight UMX ASK-21 conversion to ASK-21Mi with powered klapptriebwerk SLS. Just bought all the spare parts and have these, trick little sailplane.

- UMX Mossie, detail, weather and fly.

- FMS Stuka Ju 87 build, detailing with German Kavan threaded 3" wheels, weathering, upgraded ESC, UBEC. Need to buy 3S, 4S batteries for this.

- Start building a 1:3.5 scale Topaze by Chris Williams.

- Finish reading my 180 page Graupner mx-16 owner's manual, start programming my new telemetry, vario module with audio sounds and voice.

- Lastly, start on my 4m ASK-13 short kit!

That should wear the elves out, they'll need to refill with more maple syrup soon. Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,728 Posts
Im trying to finish an e-Bubble Dancer I started last winter!
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
That's quite a load of projects, Thompson . I'm afraid that I don't any longer enjoy building enough to tackle that much.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
I know it does seem like a lot listed out. The HK ASK-21Mi conversion is going away back to the friend and I might keep the Top Model Parada for a next winter, next year build.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
No real big plans. Since I have LEDS on my Phoenix Evolution I know want to put a speaker on it and play spooky UFO sounds. Found some small speakers on amazon.com for around $20 and I figure I can find a cheap MP3 player for around $20 too. So shouldn't have a problem getting it to work.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,465 Posts
Getting the fleet back into flying condition. I work my gliders hard and they sometimes take a beating so now is the time to get them into tip top shape. Not all are electrics.

Radian - fix fuse from a crash
Sky Runner - fix nose area from misshap on ground
3.4 meter Graphite - New receiver battery and switch
Supra pro comp - some better repairs to wing tips. Plane ended in trees twice this season
Easy Glider electric - getting a new motor
Zagi slope wing - new elevons and maybe switch over to 2.4 GHz
Sagitta full house - get it into the air
Supra e fuselage - just got this - get it flying

Bunch of stuff!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
How did I forget my Sagitta?

I still have my old rudder/elevator Sagitta 600. She flies beautifully but I would need to add some form of glide path control for my relatively short field. And that's assuming I want to bother with even a short Hi-start. I figure I have two choices.

1. Graft a nose contoured for a motor on the perfectly sound airframe. She weighed 32 ounces with a 450mah Ni-cad and some lead in the nose and I often used some ballast. Simply using a windmilling prop as a brake would would take care of the glide path.

2. Turn the old girl into cash.