SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Im getting worried with all these issues seems more and more are poping up
Yes, but a call to HH and some pictures with copy of my receipt, has me a new set of wings on the way. As always, awesome customer service. Will have them in 2-3 days. So all is well with me.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I'm running my stock 280 motor on 7x4E apc, no issues so far. The metal nose cone on eflm1920 allows more airflow for betting cooling, motor doesn't get hot in 80 degree weather. It was getting warm with the stock spinner though. I'm a fan of oversized nose cones, I like the looks but it seems to deflect air flow from the motor. With the small metal nose cone you get direct airflow. The stock spinner may be the problem, not the motor but it's still a little early for this theory, time will tell.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I'm running my stock 280 motor on 7x4E apc, no issues so far. The metal nose cone on eflm1920 allows more airflow for betting cooling, motor doesn't get hot in 80 degree weather. It was getting warm with the stock spinner though. I'm a fan of oversized nose cones, I like the looks but it seems to deflect air flow from the motor. With the small metal nose cone you get direct airflow. The stock spinner may be the problem, not the motor but it's still a little early for this theory, time will tell.
I've been running mine without the spinner since pretty much day one. Still fried the motor with a 7x3SF which is pretty much equivalent to the 7x4E Some will get lucky and some won't I don't fly slow for very much of the flight so that's part of the problem.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Temps really weren't bad at all. It was just to much prop for the motor to get full KV. So it's going backwards instead improving flight. Check this gem out! We could swing a 7x6 SF with the stock ESC. This would be an awesome setup! Speed and thrust with maximum efficiency. I think I'm going to order one.

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/upload...1350__page.pdf
good to know the temps are good
but sounds like a bad quality motor

would be much fun to try lower kv motors with higher pitched props!
IMO it is less stress on the motor to turn less rpms...
same with FE boat racing, we don't want excessive rpms to run a race...
drive lines start to fail with high kv setups also excessive amps that are wasted in heat

off to pick up a Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak!
for some crazy 3D fun at the club today
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I tested a apc 7x3.8 slow fly and it pulled 155 watts and almost 14 amps. I don't think this motor likes slow fly props.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Yes, but a call to HH and some pictures with copy of my receipt, has me a new set of wings on the way. As always, awesome customer service. Will have them in 2-3 days. So all is well with me.
CS can't be beat! They've sent me almost a whole new plane now. It's strange they are asking for pics from everyone on this bird. I've never been asked to send them pics before.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I tested a apc 7x3.8 slow fly and it pulled 155 watts and almost 14 amps. I don't think this motor likes slow fly props.
Yes but 7x3.8 is going be a good bit more than a 3 pitch. That's pretty crazy numbers for the 7x3.8SF and I'm surprise you didn't smoke something right away I can fly the 7x3SF full throttle most of the flight and things only come down warm. I think mine threw a magnet and trashed the motor.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Hey guys, whenever I burst the throttle the motor shuts off, here's a video of it. It happened in my first flight. Also if you could tell me if I'm getting similar throws to you guys that would be appreciated.

Edge 540QQ Problems (1 min 26 sec)
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
Registered User
Dannyboy85's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Here is my take on HH sorta.... not really them but the difference between the US and here (UK). Here HH does not sell to the individual...stupid but they don't. So it's up to the local hobby shop to help out with parts ect... So, I think you find many here are more willing to find a solution before trying to get refunds or parts because we can't just contact HH. I am jealous because I think HH cares about the people purchasing their products....but I love the one day shipping here for £8.50
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Nobody claimed that a high price guarantees high quality. However - if something is really cheap, there is always a reason. The reasons are typically bottom-of-the-barrel worker pay, crappy worker benefits, corner-cutting in R&D, engineering, and materials, along with cutting corners in production to increase output. Each of has been shown to compromise quality.

As Meatloaf so eloquently put it - 'There ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box'.

Joel
LOL that's awesome!!

Didn't Meatloaf also try to sing "America the Beautiful"?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Hey guys, whenever I burst the throttle the motor shuts off, here's a video of it. It happened in my first flight. Also if you could tell me if I'm getting similar throws to you guys that would be appreciated.
What happens when you ease in the throttle? Mine will do what yours is doing until I take the top off the battery and then it's fine. Also have you calibrated your throttle?
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Hey guys, whenever I burst the throttle the motor shuts off, here's a video of it. It happened in my first flight. Also if you could tell me if I'm getting similar throws to you guys that would be appreciated.
Uh-oh. I notice motor hesitates to start--very rough startup. At first I was going to say ESC--but I think motor-- motor is running so rough--as if something is rubbing/catching internally. I'd ask HH for new replacement motor--and send em this video.

Does it do that if you have throttle on only 1/4 up?

others' thoughts?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:39 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
nanotech 460 25c vs zippy compact 500 35c

short term results--zippy has more power. I can't tell you #s of thrust-- but
I can tell you when flying--the plane climbs longer with the zippys.
I think the zippy really does have higher c rating.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
Just wanna fly!
grovey's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Well I went to one LHS today, inspected the airframe and wings, not too happy with the cosmetic damages, but I was ok with that. The prop was bent, but I have a bunch of GWS props ready.

I noticed the rudder was fully deflected, which seems odd, as even bumping it when placing in the box should not do that.

I am glad I asked to power it up, that servo once powered, was buzzing like crazy, I also noticed that there was quite a bit of play on the servo.

Long story short, I walked out empty handed as they only had that one in the box.

Soooooo, tomorrow I am headed to another location to HOPEFULLY pick up a working plane.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:08 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Well I went to one LHS today, inspected the airframe and wings, not too happy with the cosmetic damages, but I was ok with that. The prop was bent, but I have a bunch of GWS props ready.

I noticed the rudder was fully deflected, which seems odd, as even bumping it when placing in the box should not do that.

I am glad I asked to power it up, that servo once powered, was buzzing like crazy, I also noticed that there was quite a bit of play on the servo.

Long story short, I walked out empty handed as they only had that one in the box.

Soooooo, tomorrow I am headed to another location to HOPEFULLY pick up a working plane.
Well keep in mind these are digital servos. So they will make buzzing noises but it shouldn't be crazy loud.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite 300 A6M5 Zero BNF Basic Afraidtoregister Electric Warbirds 1061 Sep 09, 2014 10:50 PM
Sold BNIB E-flite UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic AS3X (EFLU4850) plus EXTRAS peterswolf Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 14, 2012 07:43 PM
For Sale E-Flite MSR X BNF Basic edition daign Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2012 08:59 PM
Sold Edge 540 3D ARF by E-Flite freirem Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 28, 2012 06:38 PM
Discussion A6M5 Zero 300 BNF Basic by E-flite BlazingStar Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Feb 03, 2012 02:22 AM