HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,220 Posts
wow I just found this thread , I bought the castle 120 with the hope that it was worth more money based on quality vs the turnegy versions .
I hope they make good on the returns , I assume I type a note and send the unit back ? do we need a registered return number ?
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:01 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
wow I just found this thread , I bought the castle 120 with the hope that it was worth more money based on quality vs the turnegy versions .
I hope they make good on the returns , I assume I type a note and send the unit back ? do we need a registered return number ?
You have to follow the instructions on their web sight. http://www.castlecreations.com/support.html

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:05 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
I can appreciate the first come, first served thing. In so doing, I have purchased another ESC from another manufacturer to use from now until I get my ESC replaced by Castle via Steve and Tony at ExperienceRC, if possible. This means that unless the non-German ESC I purchased fails, I will just wait. How's that for fair? I didn't think this would come down to an issue of what's fair and what's not fair, though. I merely made the suggestion. In fact, I sincerely doubt replacement ESC's will be ready by IRCHA. But if they are available and my helicopter is working with the non-German replacement I bought, I'll gladly step aside. Please understand that I was in no way trying to circumvent the process.

I can appreciate the frustration of not being able to fly a 2k plus model. I'm in for about 3k on my Furion 6. I can't fly it, either. In fact, in the six months I've had it, I've had nothing but tuning issues. Clint was great to help out at Toledo with a very basic, yet troubling problem that dealt with wrong data being published by the motor manufacturer. Then there were other problems. One by one they were solved and then this. So, yeah, I'm frustrated, too.

That said, the minute that ExperienceRC gets the newer ESC's in, I'm in for it. I want to fly a Castle ESC in my Furion 6 and I damn sure will.

Note that I have no affiliation with Castle other that of a loyal customer who appreciates what they do for the hobby and... I have Castle ESC's in four of my other helicopters.

Scott
NP Scott and thanks for the courteous and understanding reply to my statement.

Mostly that was meant a bit to Castle too. I have been to a few local shows that Castle has had tables at and I know what those can be like and I could only imagine that having to face people all day long for three days that need new ESC's with the questions of " when am I going to get a new one" would be tough, and so as well I could imagine they would just love to be able to say, here, we have a whole box of them, take one, would sure take a lot of the pressure off.

So just was hoping to impart my feelings on what that would be like for me and all the others who at this early stage of things have been waiting for theirs via mailing that haven't gotten theirs yet wouldn't be to happy to not be getting theirs due to a lack of quantity as their handing them out like flyers at some show.

Anyway, wasn't thinking that you were tying to be sly Scott, just was voicing an opinion and thanks again for taking it the way you did.

Hopefully they will get this thing done soon as I'm sure there are many of us with very expensive birds who are all going to be grounding them in wait for the repaired units.

Thanks
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:26 PM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
It's understandable, WBFAir. I'm just as anxious as anyone who has a 120HV and can't fly their model. I think there is an unannounced pecking order, though. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just the way things are when you're dealing with sponsored pilots, field reps, and dealers.

My new, non-German ESC should be here tomorrow, so I guess the adventure begins anew, then.

Take care,

Scott
dunkonu23 is offline Find More Posts by dunkonu23
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
Lee Estingoy
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2003
723 Posts
Hi Guys,

Please bear with us, there are no nefarious plans at work here. We are trying to accomplish the modifications to many thousands of controllers without crashing the company itself.

We are trying to set up our processes such that we can modify and replace controllers as quickly as possible while ensuring that what goes out has been properly manufactured and tested. For rather obvious reasons (the parts costs on these products are not insignificant) we do plan to refurbish as many as we can.

We will do our best to provide a means for those of you who will be attending IRCHA to either pickup (if you have mailed yours in and we can't get it turned around in time for mail delivery before IRCHA) your controllers there or outright turn them in and walk away with a modded one at that point. Keep in mind that posts on RCG using AVATARS will NOT result in anyone here in KS telepathically identifying the real identity of the owner of the incoming controller and changing the delivery method to accommodate the travel plans of the consumer.

We cannot get into a detailed discussion of the changes to the controller primarily because we don't want to start anything wherein users are dissecting their controllers looking for differences in the components being used. We routinely swap components of equal specification as availability and pricing require.

The "pecking order" of the controllers being shipped out is primarily a function of meeting our delivery commitments to corporate customers. There are controllers currently in the pipeline for them and they will need to stay dedicated to those customers.

I believe I saw somewhere that somebody is quoting a 6 week turn around period. That would be absolute worst case. I honestly believe we'll be able to do much better than that.

So, again, thanks in advance for your patience.

Lee
lestingoy is offline Find More Posts by lestingoy
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the update Lee. CC is doing the difficult yet right thing IMO. This is a hobby, something I do for recreation. If I don't see my 120HV for 6 weeks I think I'll survive.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
Old and grumpy
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2010
138 Posts
lee
what sort of warranty will these refurbish esc have
SIRCOL is offline Find More Posts by SIRCOL
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:34 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2005
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
Thanks for the update Lee. CC is doing the difficult yet right thing IMO. This is a hobby, something I do for recreation. If I don't see my 120HV for 6 weeks I think I'll survive.

Doug B.
Agreed, most folks who have an HV120 on their help probably have more then one helicopter to fly anyways. I'm going to sent my mine sometime next week.
kouasupra is offline Find More Posts by kouasupra
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:10 AM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Lee,

My comment about "pecking order" was in no way intented to push buttons at Castle. On the contrary, it was to indicate an understanding of the way things have to be. If I've offended, please accept my most humble apology.

Scott
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestingoy View Post
Hi Guys,

Please bear with us, there are no nefarious plans at work here. We are trying to accomplish the modifications to many thousands of controllers without crashing the company itself.

We are trying to set up our processes such that we can modify and replace controllers as quickly as possible while ensuring that what goes out has been properly manufactured and tested. For rather obvious reasons (the parts costs on these products are not insignificant) we do plan to refurbish as many as we can.

We will do our best to provide a means for those of you who will be attending IRCHA to either pickup (if you have mailed yours in and we can't get it turned around in time for mail delivery before IRCHA) your controllers there or outright turn them in and walk away with a modded one at that point. Keep in mind that posts on RCG using AVATARS will NOT result in anyone here in KS telepathically identifying the real identity of the owner of the incoming controller and changing the delivery method to accommodate the travel plans of the consumer.

We cannot get into a detailed discussion of the changes to the controller primarily because we don't want to start anything wherein users are dissecting their controllers looking for differences in the components being used. We routinely swap components of equal specification as availability and pricing require.

The "pecking order" of the controllers being shipped out is primarily a function of meeting our delivery commitments to corporate customers. There are controllers currently in the pipeline for them and they will need to stay dedicated to those customers.

I believe I saw somewhere that somebody is quoting a 6 week turn around period. That would be absolute worst case. I honestly believe we'll be able to do much better than that.

So, again, thanks in advance for your patience.

Lee
Hello Lee

First I want to say that I can certainly understand that the task at hand is going to be a difficult one, and that for me at least, I would certainly be willing to wait for what ever time it takes for a "get it done right" solution to this problem if that is what this time is being dedicated to, and as well do not have any desire for it to crash the company.

But having said that I really feel I have to reply that I am not at all pleased with what I am reading in this response if I understand it correctly.

As you guys have done, you have set up weeks before the IRCHA show a send in mail system that many have employed by filling out all the info and boxing up and paying for an shipping in their controllers as soon as possible all with what I am sure is the hope that they will be in the cue as early as they can for a replacement. To which from this point on I will call these people senders.

Now as you said, the resources for this is limited so it will take some time and I can even understand that their may be a few special friends that might have the pull to get ones ahead of others of the cue of the senders.

But I have to say to hear that some of those limited resources and controllers are going instead to be focused on a non-sender as they will be showing up at some show weeks after others have been received is pretty darn upsetting!

Again, many have and will be sending in their controllers weeks before this show, all with the normal understanding that they would be part of what should be a fair, first come first serve system, and to think that someone who has done this and would have gotten a controller out of the limited number of ones that might be available by Aug 10th, will not as Castle is going to be dedicating some of those limited units available by that time to the ones who will showing up at some show weeks after a sender has sent in theirs, is I'm sorry to have to say something I find horribly offensive!

Perhaps this isn't the thing in all circles but as you know, this issue of these controllers has done a lot of damage to Castles reputation which used to be about as good as it could get.

First there was the reply that there was a clearance thing, which didn't stop the problem, then the larger housing thing was supposed to help, that didn't. Then Castles long delay on really addressing this and taking it seriously and now finally when you guys have finally done the right thing you are going to be going right back down again as you are in part focusing on getting units to a non-sender at some show all before others who have sent theirs in weeks before????

Seriously Lee, and I'm sorry to say this to anyone who is hoping to get theirs at this show by just showing up with theirs, but this is just downright wrong.

For me I sent in my controller two weeks ago, I got a e-mail confirm that it is in the system this week. So I tell you what, this show is still weeks away and if I hear of someone just showing up with one and getting theirs at this show while I an others senders still have not, that will be the last straw with me with Castle and as far as I am concerned, you can just keep the thing as I don't want to be dealing with a company like this anymore.

This is just my opinion, but seriously, just forget about getting these thing to this show or any other shows for now at all and 100% focus on get them one, fixed correctly for as long as that takes, then two returned in the proper order as received to the ones that have sent them in. Simply put the most important person to get these to are the first person who sent in theirs, and then the second one is the second person, and the 100th is the 100th person. And so person number 3,506 who shows up at this show is person 3,506 not the 99th person.
Last edited by WBFAir; Jul 29, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
WBFAir... Actually IRCHA is 12 days away, now. Not to criticize. It is not just "some" show. It's the largest RC helicopter event in the world.

I can understand your point, though and I will relate an experience that I encountered. Castle, this is no way meant to offend you guys. I know you're under the gun with this, so please understand.

The ICE series controllers, to my knowledge, were introduced at IRCHA in 2009. Limited items, to my knowledge, were available at the the Castle tent at the event. At that time I had no need for one. At the event, my wife bought me a helicopter where I would need one. Well, when we returned, no dealers had the ESC I needed and Castle had a direct order system in place. I placed an order with them. About a month later, I saw the controller I needed at a local hobby shop. I called Castle and asked for the status of my order. I was told it had not yet shipped. So, I cancelled my order and bought one locally.

Above, though different in nature, is a vaguely similar situation to what we are facing and it has nothing to do with what is fair. Rather, the situation is more about commitments. I would assume as Lee alluded to that Castle is bound by contracts to provide products to those companies based on negotiated terms. I know it is hard to take, but the reality is that it is nothing personal.

I also know it is your choice to take your business where you feel you are best served. Man, this is a mess, though. I would not like to be Castle's position. In my life, I have seen similar things from both sides. In the end, it is about damage control.

Scott
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
Lee Estingoy
Joined May 2003
723 Posts
My understanding is that we should begin shipping the refurbished controllers out early next week.

If you:
1. Have sent yours in &
2. Need it back ASAP for IRCHA and want to pick it up at IRCHA please email me directly and we'll get you on the list for that pickup.

If you plan to walk up with a dead soldier and trade it in at IRCHA please notify me as well so that we will have some clue as to how many we'll need there.

Thanks

Lee

lee@castlecreations.com
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Quote:
My understanding is that we should begin shipping the refurbished controllers out early next week.

If you:
1. Have sent yours in &
2. Need it back ASAP for IRCHA and want to pick it up at IRCHA please email me directly and we'll get you on the list for that pickup.

If you plan to walk up with a dead soldier and trade it in at IRCHA please notify me as well so that we will have some clue as to how many we'll need there.

Thanks

Lee

lee@castlecreations.com
OK so I guess its only the people who are going to IRCHA that matter.

I wish I had known I was only important if I am a person going to IRCHA and that only those customers are important to Castle as I would not have bought your products nor wasted my time and money shipping you people a completely unused ESC so that you can spend all your time refurbishing it for all for someone more important then me as they are going to IRCHA.

I tell you what, just keep my ESC as after all, all the more important people who are going to IRCHA certainly deserve it more then me as after all, I'm not one of them so I guess I'm just dirt.

Jezz, with things getting run like this it certainly is easy to see now how this whole issue started in the first place and has come to this.

Guess it's HW's or Jives for all the ones who don't go to IRCHA.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:47 PM
Lee Estingoy
Joined May 2003
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
OK so I guess its only the people who are going to IRCHA that matter.

I wish I had known I was only important if I am a person going to IRCHA and that only those customers are important to Castle as I would not have bought your products nor wasted my time and money shipping you people a completely unused ESC so that you can spend all your time refurbishing it for all for someone more important then me as they are going to IRCHA.

I tell you what, just keep my ESC as after all, all the more important people who are going to IRCHA certainly deserve it more then me as after all, I'm not one of them so I guess I'm just dirt.

Jezz, with things getting run like this it certainly is easy to see now how this whole issue started in the first place and has come to this.

Guess it's HW's or Jives for all the ones who don't go to IRCHA.
Geez. We're doing the best we can.

i have no idea who you are or whether you are going to IRCHA or not. We are also shipping modded controllers to those who've already sent there's in. What do you want me to say to make you feel better?

Everybody is a priority. That's why we're doing this. How many other companies have put out receivers or motors or whatever that were known to have issues and then refused to deal with them at all?

I'm sorry this is an inconvenience, we're not real happy about it either.

Lee
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2007
816 Posts
Quote:
Geez. We're doing the best we can.

i have no idea who you are or whether you are going to IRCHA or not. We are also shipping modded controllers to those who've already sent there's in.
Tell me that.

This is what you just said in the previous post.

Quote:

If you:
1. Have sent yours in &

Ergo, I can't read this any other way other then to mean that only people who "Need it back ASAP for IRCA or will be going there, will get them before that or there.

I mean that is what you wrote correct?

You did not say anything about that someone not going to IRCHA was going to be getting theirs shipped before IRCHA at all.

Simple put, if you go by what you said, about the only conclusion I could come to is that you are going to be taking all the ESC's that have been sent to you by others, and refurbishing them so that you can have them at or prior to for the people at IFCHA.
Closed Thread