HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Yeah, that's why we told you to make sure the servo was easily serviceable.
I hear ya that is one of the reasons i used a clevis up front,i can get the rod out if needed (of course the servo is another story)....But there was no need to remove it for this little goof-up.I ran out and purchased some thicker carbon plate,and fashioned a new arm,and made it 21/2mm taller (i was not liking the fact that i hadeto back the servo down so much in the TX to get my throws,now with the taller arm,i should get better servo travel) I cut the old arm off,and used some dremel grout bits to get rid of the epoxy,and get to new material on the elevator.....So in the end,It turned into a PLUS doing the fix......just waiting on the epoxy to dry,and hook it back up.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
BACK ON TRACK ! this new control arm allows the elev servo to work much better,and lots of clearance between the rod and the boom.....So glad i am not one of those guys that Slams things against the wall when things go wrong It almost looks like a Henke arm ; )
Old May 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,821 Posts
Looks good now go fly it
henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old May 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Yes.........................looks good.................
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Questions for the SMART guys ......The inserts that the wing screws to in the fuse,one has no meat from when the saddle was cut,you can see in the pics that one was cut clean,and the other ground into the side of the insert...Will this be OK ?...............Second question,should i drill some cooling holes in the fuse motor mount between the 4 motor screws ?
Old May 01, 2012, 05:05 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Inserts.??...Seriously,most of my wings on my F5D planes have been held on by tape...
For cooling,usually place a naca duct over the motor area on top of the fuselage. It would be quite painful though to cut into such a nice fuselage..........

Maybe you could place a thick mixture of epoxy and microballoons between the insert and the inner wall of the fuselage. Place some Vaseline inside the insert.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 01, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Inserts.??...Seriously,most of my wings on my F5D planes have been held on by tape...
For cooling,usually place a naca duct over the motor area on top of the fuselage. It would be quite painful though to cut into such a nice fuselage..........

Maybe you could place a thick mixture of epoxy and microballoons between the insert and the inner wall of the fuselage. Place some Vaseline inside the insert.
Tape ?? Seriously That just sounds crazy....But i am new to this stuff.I planned on doing some cooling holes in the fuselage,i was just wondering if many people put any in the mount area on these ships....One of my S400 planes have them,and the other does not.....The folding prop seems to allow a bit of air through it seeing how it has the small hole in the front of the spinner...I just am not sure what this mount is made of (seems to be carbon,and some type of hard cardboard material),and i do not want to weeken it...Thanks Doug
Old May 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,607 Posts
Yeah, tape is the strongest, but only on planes designed for that -- they have long tangs extending from the wing and you wrap several layers all the way around the fuselage.

Holes in your firewall are a very good idea, but only if your motor has corresponding holes. The
"cardboard" material is likely g10 fiberglass and should drill well.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old May 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Yeah, tape is the strongest, but only on planes designed for that -- they have long tangs extending from the wing and you wrap several layers all the way around the fuselage.

Holes in your firewall are a very good idea, but only if your motor has corresponding holes. The
"cardboard" material is likely g10 fiberglass and should drill well.
That is what i was hoping to hear...when i made the template to drill the holes for the motor,i also made one for the holes in the front of the motor,and yes,that is some thick stuff on the motor mount.For the rest of the motor & esc cooling,i decided to make 2 scoops out of some old pushrod guides i had laying aroung...here is a pic of one done,and painted....Now to butcher the one next to it.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
I hope this will do the trick to help beat the florida heat ....Using the scoops allowed me to make some nice size inlets that will flow air the lenght of the motor and heat sink....and the scoops are strong,so i do not think i lost any strength on the nose......But what the heck do i know,i am a NEWB On a side note,WOW this fuse is a PITA to cut into and make it come out nice.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
These are serving me well also. Just another idea to throw out there.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old May 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Its not usually the motor you need to cool in these applications but the ESC.
The outlet is also important. Where are you planning to put that?

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old May 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
These are serving me well also. Just another idea to throw out there.

Bill
So much for me thinking I had a genius idea for the Dubro covers....Or it could be a case of great minds think alike ..but I doubt that.
Old May 02, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk View Post
Its not usually the motor you need to cool in these applications but the ESC.
The outlet is also important. Where are you planning to put that?

Andy
The ESC is right behind the motor,it should get good air flow...If after a couple flights it needs more,I will add an intake up top for the ESC.As far as my exits,I have two more Dubro covers that I will make like I did the intakes,and just mount them backwards at the rear of the saddle.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Note to self...Self,never again grind aluminum while wearing shorts....it is amazing the places the shavings and dust will get Tapered the heat sink,and added two groves down the sides to allow better air flow...or so i hope.