HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,471 Posts
SNice, and actually,anyboby else as well...

What are your thoughts on adding another small rudder at the end of the duct(preferrably just inside?, but probably more efficient off the end?)?
Link it to the existing rudder ?

Wonder how a bit of vectored thrust would affect things? Something to ponder, off to dad's for May Long weekend......
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I got out and flew my Titan this weekend, and my friend got a better video than last time. I also found a light collet that brought my CoG just a bit further forward, and I think it flew a bit better. Anyway, here it is...more fun with the pusher jet!

Titan Glider conversion (3 min 5 sec)
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Last edited by billwhit; May 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:39 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Nice conversions guys. I think mine is crying out to become a F-80 (T-33) Shooting Star. The squared-off tail will be ideal for a pusher configuration, plus the air intakes can help cool the electronics inside the fuselage.

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Where are you guys buying these neat chuckies from?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 24, 2010, 04:19 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I found mine at Target. You have to look around, and every Target may not have them. I found them next to the kites and swimming pool stuff.

At only ten bucks...I'll just say I came home with more than one!

I heard they might be at Walmart for a few bucks more, but I can't confirm that one.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
@warhead_71 -- that is a beautiful plane! can't wait to see that one... keep us updated!

@dz1sfb -- I also found mine at target -- $9.99!!!! Same section as billwhit.

@billwhit -- Nice flying!!! I can not believe how maneuverable that bird is with only tailerons! She flies great! how does she do inverted? both of mine require a good amount of down elevator to remain inverted... it can get scary at times! What motor/lipo/prop do you have on it? It really scoots it along well!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 25, 2010, 11:03 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
SNice,
She flies ok inverted, I need to test it out more. I did notice that it need a bit of down elevator to stay level...more than I would have expected. I'll still probably do a full house version for fun, but the tailerons do seem to be enough.

The motor I have on there is a 26 gram HXT outrunner (Blue Wonder). I rewound it with 7 turns of 24 gauge wire to get it a bit hotter than stock. I don't know the kv exactly, but I would guess in the 2000 range. It pulls about 11.5 amps with a 4.5x4.5 prop and a 3 cell 1000 mAh lipo.

I got one of these 3000kv ones on the way:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5453

I haven't used one before so it will be interesting to see how it performs.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Hey guys, I checked with walmart on them and they said they had a on clearance sale on them...so apparently not gonna stock them anymore...dont like doing it but i bought several from target !!...

First one is gonna be a stunter...shortened wings...took out most of the dihedral and took out alot of the sweep...pretty much so changed whole wing incidence...added ailerons, elevator and rudder...cutoff some of the nose and put in a hardwood firewall to mount a park 450 on..after i found the thrust center line ..made sure to have some down and right thrust..hopefully with that much motor it dont spin like a dart .....i am beefing up my wing and tail feathers with some small carbon fiber tubes...adding landing gear since im gonna b running a 9x6 - 11x6 prop...my biggest concern now is the CG since taken the sweep, dihedral etc out of the wings and making it a powered plane the CG cannot be what it was as a glider IE 2.75" from the te of wing.. im thinking around 20-25% of the wingcord rule will apply now to get the proper CG...what do u think ?

L39 is what hit me when i was thinking of my ducted fan version....cud do a nice learjet with twin edf's mounted on fuse with nacelles easily too... DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Last edited by olwarbirds; May 28, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:57 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
olwarbirds - I tried installing a firewall on the nose and putting a motor about that size on it (400xt), and it didn't work out, because the foam on this plane is not very dense, and the pull of the motor was enough to destabilize the foam behind the firewall glue interface. Both flight attempts I did that way were the same...the plane launched and climbed OK, then shortly after the first turn the plane wasn't responding appropriately to control inputs...so I pulled off the power and let it float down...then after I retrieved the plane I could see that the foam was coming apart behind the firewall.

I did some more work on my Titan twin to fit in a bigger battery, and now I can do rolls without any problem, and it flies faster...and the battery comes out cool instead of hot. I was operating too close to the capacity of the little battery I had in it.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old May 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Herk1, tks for that info...how about using a stick mount then...that wud spread the stress out more...i cud get the stick buried 3-4 inches easily..DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old May 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Yes, I think a stick mount would hold better. That's how I attached the two wing-mounted motors on my Titan (they're only 20-gram motors though).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:11 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Ok, I've been slowly working on my next Titan. This is another concept that will get cleaned up if it flies well. I'm trying a top pylon mounted pusher. I've have good result with this on other glider conversions I've done, so I think it might work well.

I went ahead and replaced the whole rudder. The stock one was pretty thick and didn't look easy to get a good bevel on. For starters I'm going to try stock wings with rudder control. If the motor mount doesn't give any bad tendencies then I'll replace the wings with ailerons. I eventually want a full house version with tricycle landing gear and with the rear mounted prop I'd be a little worried it might hit on take off. Decisions, decisions...
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,471 Posts
The Titan is now $10 @Wmrt(Can), was $12.91.....
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:26 PM
Regina, Sask. Canada
Joined Jan 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
The Titan is now $10 @Wmrt(Can), was $12.91.....
Where did you find it for $10.00? Just checked Wmrt in Regina and it's still priced at $12.93.
kully99 is offline Find More Posts by kully99
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:49 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
here's my night ez titan glider:

night titan ait hogs conversion (3 min 48 sec)
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Last edited by captaingeek; Jun 04, 2010 at 01:55 PM.