SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:27 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
I came back from flying the Sky Surfer in 15-20mph winds with a bit of sloping action. Flew for over 30 minutes on one battery. I'm leaving the washers in the nose- more weight is better in the wind. I did catch a few thermals yesterday with it- it does OK. It's not really a 'proper' sailplane, but it's sure fun.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey RR, I just can't get over how nice these things fly for the price. Looking into rpv now ordered a couple of cheap spy cameras on ebay. But made the mistake of watching some real time fly by camera flights wow this stuff is awesome. I can see setting a plane up like this in my future!!!! I also think the sky surfer will make a good plane for this as well.
wow1 is offline Find More Posts by wow1
Last edited by wow1; Apr 12, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow1 View Post
Hey AJ, from the leading edge of the wing as close to the fuselage as possible I'm seeing two and seven sixteenths inches or just shy of 62 mm for you metric guys. Plane is level at that point. I prefer to fly nose heavy myself so if you figure that in our numbers are probably close.

Jp, Glad to hear your flying put the ailerons on the same channel as you have the rudder and forget about the rudder for now, fly on brother!!!!!!
Thank You. Now I have 2 CGs. Both a bit different. But, I will work it out.
I think JP n Texas meant he was just going to add the ailerons to what he already has.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP n Texas View Post
I will see how the rudder extension works and probably plug in the ailerons just to make everybody happy!
JP
I am not clear on your setup. What control will be in channel 1 thru channel 4? or just ch1 , ch2 and ch 3? or ??
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:27 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I came back from flying the Sky Surfer in 15-20mph winds with a bit of sloping action. Flew for over 30 minutes on one battery. I'm leaving the washers in the nose- more weight is better in the wind. I did catch a few thermals yesterday with it- it does OK. It's not really a 'proper' sailplane, but it's sure fun.
Great decision. That is why I am holding on to the washers - for windy days.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Hey RR, I just can't get over how nice these things fly for the price. Looking into rpv now ordered a couple of cheap spy cameras on ebay. But made the mistake of watching some real time fly by camera flights wow this stuff is awesome. I can see setting a plane up like this in my future!!!! I also think the sky surfer will make a good plane for this as well.
I fly an FPV EZ* and I can tell you before even flying the SS that it is already superior to the EZ* in regard to the space in the front end. I am guessing that there is about 40-50% more space in SS. I can hardly wait to fly it - Darn rain and 20-30mph winds. Even with all the planes that I fly, I still wait for a calm day <=5mph winds for a maiden of any plane.
AJ
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:51 PM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
What type of fpv set up are you using cost range etc??? I'm currently looking at some packages but suspect that's not the way to go.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:20 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,555 Posts
I ordered mine on 4/5 and got the confirmation on 4/6 that it would ship in 2-3 days. But, since then I have not received anything back yet concerning shipment. It seems to be that they are shipping these things either right away or it takes a couple weeks. Looks like I am the latter
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Last edited by kman24; Apr 12, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,555 Posts
For what it is worth, I fly with a lot of wind too with my other planes and I generally use a bigger battery just to help it fly better when it gets to be 15-20mph of wind. On calmer days, I will use a smaller battery to help compensate for the lack of wind. Smaller batteries for me is a 3S 1300mAh and large is a 3S 2200mAh. This is a good size range for parkflyers in general.
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
What type of fpv set up are you using cost range etc??? I'm currently looking at some packages but suspect that's not the way to go.
Take a look at any of the FPV threads. To get into here would be way off topic.
AJ
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:20 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
I was talking about setting up a sky surfer for FPV. Anything about flying, buying or modifying this plane is on thread topic this is why I started the thread to begin with. So if you don't care to share that's fine by me but please don't tell me whats appropriate for the thread I started. Keep in mind AJ this forum and flying are supposed to be fun.

Thanks, Karl

Hey Kman, took me about two weeks to get my orders from BH I'm on the east coast. If you have any questions about status send Saralyn an email directly she responds quickly to any concerns or problems. BHsara09@bananahobby.com[/email]
Last edited by wow1; Apr 13, 2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:41 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Hey Road Rascal, Have you had a chance to install that gps yet curious about the numbers and how that works out.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:22 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Hey Road Rascal, Have you had a chance to install that gps yet curious about the numbers and how that works out.

I was going to on Sunday but I had to leave early. Wife's computer got some malware on it and since she's just about done with her Master's Degree I had to play Geek Squad. Hopefully within a week I'll get the GPS logger in the Sky Surfer and get some readings.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:56 AM
upstate NY
Joined Jan 2010
422 Posts
Does it store and record the data or send it down to a receiver during flight. I get the college thing I'm actually at school now finishing up an associates myself.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
" Float On "
Lago Vista TEXAS
Joined Dec 2009
104 Posts
Clarification: On my Sky Surfer RTF Brushless I have added about a 3/4" foam extension to the rudder. I want to get some flights in with 3 channel before adding the ailerons becuase that is what I am use to. On the TX the left stick is throttle only. The right stick is elevator and rudder. I imagine I will add the ailerons soon but not yet.
Still waiting on calmer winds to fly and none forcasted.
JP n Texas is offline Find More Posts by JP n Texas