HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2002, 08:31 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
The Problem With America... according to Norman Mailer

This is sure to be controversial, but I think some of the points are valid, although many are pretty extreme and have gone a bit too far. My dad showed it to me on Drudge report -

I dont think I'm allowed to post quotes because of copyright laws, so here's the link instead.

http://www.drudgereport.com/nm.htm

I think the particularly important parts are the thing about waving the flag in order to be a good person and when he talks about Bush being smart enough to know to put people smarter than him in power or the country would be run by morons!

AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Last edited by AndrewK; Sep 08, 2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2002, 08:41 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,416 Posts
Mailer is long into senility.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 08, 2002, 08:43 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Still I found alot of it to be funny anyway...
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:21 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
what makes his opinion any more valid than yours, mine or any else's?
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:06 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Eh speaks for much of the rest of the world. We can ignore him and all others that dont instinctively bow to our authority but that impression still pervades. Soon we will only listen to Blair and ourselves.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:25 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
there are occasions where you don't have to listen to everyone else in the room. If you are absolutely convinced that what you are doing is the right thing, then you will do what you need to do, regardless of the carping.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:25 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gman2
Eh speaks for much of the rest of the world.
And that makes him right?

logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:01 AM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMootsie
there are occasions where you don't have to listen to everyone else in the room. If you are absolutely convinced that what you are doing is the right thing, then you will do what you need to do, regardless of the carping.
This is exactly what scares me about GWB. The rest of the world says don't do it and we go ahead and do it anyway. It is a very rare, very smart person who is right when the rest of the people in the room are wrong. I don't believe for a minute that the Administration has the smarts or info to be right when the rest of the world is wrong.

As much as the "we're the biggest, we can do what we want crowd" wants to think that we don't need the rest of the world, we do need them. We cannot risk becoming a pariah nation.
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Last edited by jimbarstow; Sep 09, 2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:10 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbarstow

We cannot risk becoming a pariah nation.
Aren't we already? Isn't that why they flew airplanes into the WTC? Can't be all things to all people, and Job One is to protect ourselves.

A powerful nation embodying a powerful idea and spanning six time zones is permanently exposed to dangers from all the other 18 zones.
Last edited by Tim Jonas; Sep 09, 2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 11:59 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
"A powerful nation embodying a powerful idea and spanning six time zones is permanently exposed to dangers from all the other 18 zones." - isn't that even worse for the Russians? and look what happened to them!

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Sep 09, 2002, 12:55 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyo
"A powerful nation embodying a powerful idea and spanning six time zones is permanently exposed to dangers from all the other 18 zones." - isn't that even worse for the Russians? and look what happened to them!

Tony
different economics, and I wouldn't say that Communism was all that powerful an idea.....although Cuba and China are still tottering along.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 12:58 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyo

Tony
What happened to them was a political/economic model that simply failed.

logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Sep 09, 2002, 02:10 PM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMootsie

Aren't we already? Isn't that why they flew airplanes into the WTC? Can't be all things to all people, and Job One is to protect ourselves.

A powerful nation embodying a powerful idea and spanning six time zones is permanently exposed to dangers from all the other 18 zones.
We had a large, diverse coalition for the gulf war. The only countries backing us for the latest adventure are britain and israel. It isn't that we are trying to be "all things to all people", we have become the world's bully: the only way to do it is our way. Just because we can doesn't make it right. Might does NOT make right.
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Old Sep 09, 2002, 02:39 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbarstow

We had a large, diverse coalition for the gulf war. The only countries backing us for the latest adventure are britain and israel. It isn't that we are trying to be "all things to all people", we have become the world's bully: the only way to do it is our way. Just because we can doesn't make it right. Might does NOT make right.
when/if the evidence comes out, then we'll see.
Old Sep 09, 2002, 03:19 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
In response to MrMootsie's question of "why is his opinion more or less important that anybody else's?" His opinion is not more important, but it is more powerful since his views are going to be published and therefore have the power of influence over a large audience.

And also if you say that we are already a bully nation, then why dont we try to go the other way and become less of a bully nation instead a bigger one which would engender even more hatred. I know we cant please everyone, but we can still avoid stupid blantant bully activities like supporting corrupt leaders and invading sovereign nations