HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Discussion
NEF NE Ohio Indoor Electric Festival (replaces HEF) - March 21-23

I'm excited to announce that Ohio's "Holiday Electric Festival" is relocating to Akron!
This will become the NE Ohio Electric Festival

You can call it "NEF" for short.
March 21-23, Friday night/Saturday/Sunday.

We're very excited about the venue, the location, and the prospect of continuing what we started in a much bigger metropolitan area.

Here's a list of some key things to note:
Akron is about an hour closer for all of our friends to the south
Akron is very easy to get to, and isn't in the snow belt
The venue is on the University of Akron campus - college towns are exciting and there are a lot of restaurants & hotels around. Downtown Akron is minutes away.
The venue's GIGANTIC main flying area is just as big as the previous one (approx. 300 x 250 feet)
We'll still have separate flying areas for 3D, Ultra-Micro, Helis, and the F3P contest area.
The venue offers a few improvements that our pilots will appreciate:
--no wind currents from HVAC
--higher ceiling with painted ceiling beams (no "strobe" effect)
--beautiful smooth carpet everywhere

We'll have a good collection of our usual fun flying activities and several contests happening at the event, tons of prizes, and there will be a F3P competition going on too. This will all happen two weeks before the Weak Signals' Toledo show.

This is an AMA-sanctioned event. MARCS is the host AMA club and a portion of the proceeds of this event will benefit cancer research. We have some big announcements and some special things planned, so stay tuned. For now, I wanted to share some pictures (Please check the attachments) and also the event flyer. CLICK HERE--> PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE for event info, pilot registration, vendor registration, rules, and so on. We also have a Facebook page, you can find that under "NE Ohio Electric Festival". If you "Like" that page you will automatically receive updates as they're posted. CLICK HERE-->HERE'S A SHORT VIDEO SHOWING WHAT IT'S LIKE INSIDE!
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck
Last edited by themudduck; Mar 11, 2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: I like editing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
indoor

Ill be there
pitts150hp is offline Find More Posts by pitts150hp
Old Nov 07, 2013, 08:26 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,859 Posts
Looking good, let us know when/where we can make hotel reservations. An hour closer to home is nice I always enjoyed HEF and am looking forward to this one. The layout on the flyer looks great.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 08, 2013, 04:46 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,705 Posts
Count me in.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 09, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Facebook

In addition to our website which is under construction, we also have a Facebook Page.
You can find it on Facebook by searaching under "NE Ohio Electric Fly". Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/OhioElectricFly

By "liking" the Facebook page, you'll automatically receive updates each time we post new information.

Its a job to keep all of these sites updated, but we'll try to keep up. I should have Hotel information early this coming week and the website will also have a lot more information on it after this weekend.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
thank god it was moved, i was afraid i would miss it with finals being in December.
I know the rules are a 300 speed motor or smaller, but how does that translate to brush less out runners, not all have that name. i have heard that an out runner of 26 grams at 100 watts is equivalent, is this true?
I have designed all my planes around one motor type, but i want to design other planes with different kv motors and prop sizes.
Bill9009 is online now Find More Posts by Bill9009
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Motor Size

Bill, its hard to define the motor size succinctly, because there are so many ways to describe them! But you are correct, a 26-gram brushless motor (about 1 ounce) which puts out around 100 watts is about the size that we're thinking of. The well-known 1250kV "blue wonder" from Lazertoyz is a good example. A model powered by that motor would be about the largest you could fly comfortably indoors.

A better way to look at this may be the weight of the model. Models that weigh more than 1 pound (including the with motor and battery) are over the limit we're suggesting. A large motor and battery will put you over that limit.

We can acccomodate larger models, but they have to be approved by the event CD. Larger models may be restricted to performing demo flights. If you're bringing a larger model, if it's relatively light and slow it will probably be OK.

My advice is, in general smaller models are better for flying indoors!!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 27, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
69 Posts
This is so awesome! I usually go to the Expo at the Uni dome in Iowa in February but that one got cancelled this year for lack of an available time slot too. I'll definitely be there! Heck it's just up the street from our Akron office. LOL
Team_Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Team_Monkey
Old Nov 21, 2013, 06:13 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,022 Posts
Just moved to the area from Atlanta. I'll be attending!
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:41 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,373 Posts
Carolynn and I will be there!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
Team 3DHS!
United States, OH, Middleburg Heights
Joined May 2013
221 Posts
The new facility looks great! I cant wait!
ANDYjuice11 is offline Find More Posts by ANDYjuice11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My SEFF 2014 Videos!!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:08 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,688 Posts
West Michigan Park Flyers will be there with the whole store. Rumor has it that some of our .customers and sponsored pilots from the Midwest will be making the trip
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Looking forward to it!
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Website update

The event website http://www.ohioelectricfly.com has been updated, and now has the Paypal function activated for pilot registration - both for the main event, and also for the January flying dates.

Oops - Did I mention that ?!? We have secured two flying dates in January, that's Friday Jan 17th and Friday Jan 31st, from 8-10pm. If we get enough pilots we can stay until 11pm. (If we can stay until 11, I'll post that here!). Please sign up - the Paypal buttons are now active.

For those of you who are near Akron, this will give you an opportunity to try the place out for a fun evening. Same rules as the main event - the limit on the size of the planes is the same, and you must have a 2014 AMA card.

We have a Facebook page, you can find it by looking for "NE Ohio Electric Festival". If you "Like" that page, you will automatically receive updates as soon as we post them. We'll try to do that often so that everyone can keep up with everything that's going on.

The event website now has the event schedule - you know, that's the daily schedule of the various events and contests that will be going on. In addition to the event schedule, there's also going to be a separate F3P 3D contest (they have their own flying area on one side). More info coming on that later.
Last edited by themudduck; Dec 04, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
UPDATE - a new event at the event

A new event has been added for the 3D pilots - an open event called "The Cube" is scheduled for 11am on Saturday at the NEF.

Here's how it works: this is a timed challenge.

Pilots who enter this event will be required to perform 10 freestyle 3D maneuvers, in sequence, within a 60-foot aerobatic box - and finish within 90 seconds. The pilot will start with 100 points, and 10-point deductions will be made if the model goes outside the cube, touches the floor, or if less than 10 maneuvers are made. For example, lets say you stray out of bounds twice and complete 9 maneuvers in 90 seconds, that's three dings & you'll get 70 points.

I suppose that if it happens that several pilots tie for first place, there may be a second round. Or the judges may ask for the crowd to decide... in any case the winner will receive a pilot's prize and will become instantly WORLD FAMOUS. You'll have paparazzi following you, teenage groupies, your face on billboards... all the glory.

That's the basic idea, but we'll provide more information for the pilots at the event. We may have to limit the number of entries. You won't have to do rolling circles or fly backwards... you don't have to be a 3D "master" since the maneuvers themselves won't be judged. You only need to complete the task in 1 minute and a half. It should be a lot of fun especially for the crowd, as the announcer will get into the act and help cheer the pilots on.