HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfmaero View Post
Hi gentlemen,
Sorry to ask such a simple question after all this highly technical stuff, but I have an issue which I can't resolve, and would appreciate some help.

I have the Taranis, latest firmware and running on a fully charge 2000mAh HiMH battery (as shipped). In the plane, I have the following:
2200mAh LiPo fully charged
The FrSky FLVSS LiPo Voltage Sensor With Smart Port (this verified the individual cells of the flight battery as 4.18, 4.18, 4.18)

However, when I turn on my Tx, and the plane is all powered up, my Taranis tells me "Battery Critical"

I've attached a screenshot of my telemetry screen.

What am I doing wrong? I suspect I need to add some numbers to the 0.00 boxes (low/critical alerts).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What do you guys have in your telemetry screens?

Regards,
Duncan
If you are running a 5 volt BEC. then something like 4.8 or 4.9for low voltage and 4.7 or 4.5 for critical will stop the chatter for A1. But I'm not sure what really good numbers are. Most of the FrSky receivers are good to 3.7 volts, but servos are sluggish at 4 volts or less.
OldDmbThms is online now Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Jan 2014
201 Posts
Thanks.
rtfmaero is online now Find More Posts by rtfmaero
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:19 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the plane is powered up, and raring to go. All control surfaces react apropriately, and the motor fires up on demand. A2 shows nothing.

What is the relation between the CELL on the 1st page of the Telemetry screen (on the TX) and the A1 values (on the 2nd TX screen)? On my 1st screen the CELL reads 0, but on the 2nd screen it shows 4.18, 4.18, 4.18

I'm guessing the initial screen needs to be something other than zero?

Regards,
Duncan

PS I don't have the TX or the plane with me, so I'll have to wait till I can get back to the workshop to check my connections...

Oh, and another question- what do I put in the LOW and CRITICAL boxes? 3.6 and 3.3 (for example)?
When I asked what does the telemetry screen show, I meant the screen that pops up on the tx when you do a long press on the PAGE button. NOT the telemetry setup screen.

If you do a long press on PAGE, then you can do short presses to switch between different telemetry views, one of those views shows you A1 and A2 voltages. What shows up there for A2?

By the way, just to be clear, A1 shows the receiver voltage. A2 is where the voltage readings from the FLVSS LiPo Voltage Sensor will show up. You will need to enter low and critical warning voltages for both. You should also calibrate both by checking the actual voltages at the receiver and at your battery packs. You can adjust the readings by changing the OFFSET until the telemetry returns the correct values - or at least close.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:06 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
A2 is where the voltage readings from the FLVSS LiPo Voltage Sensor will show up.
NO. The FLVSS gives Cell (lowest cell) and Cels (total). A2 is unrelated.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:10 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:

However, when I turn on my Tx, and the plane is all powered up, my Taranis tells me "Battery Critical"

I've attached a screenshot of my telemetry screen.

Regards,
Duncan
Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Battery Critical' voice alert for the Taranis's own battery, and 'A1 Critical' or 'A2 Critical' for the plane end of things ??

(preparing myself to be shot
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:12 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
Thanks for clarifying the telemetry reset. However if you look at the plot, which covers about five minutes of flight, the elevation starts at zero and ends at zero. However, within the first 20 seconds it drops to minus 10.... To me that is something withbairspwed...
Can you send us a plot of GPS ground speed or air speed to compare to the baro altitude ?
That may tell the story if available...
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:14 AM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
313 Posts
DO not have a GPS, but several people indicated that it is probably due to
differences in the size of the cowl air inlet and fuse air outlet. I have not had a chance to fly it since then, but will report on progress...
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:51 PM
United States, GA, Cartersville
Joined Jan 2014
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Battery Critical' voice alert for the Taranis's own battery, and 'A1 Critical' or 'A2 Critical' for the plane end of things ??

(preparing myself to be shot
I believe you are correct.
N410DC is online now Find More Posts by N410DC
Old Sep 26, 2014, 09:24 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
I just did some similar testing with one of my X8 rx's and an X4R-SB (the black one).

The X4r is using one of the FBVS.01 sensors wired the way Aloft shows on their site. Its not working very well at all. I can either get it to read fairly close at 11 volts OR it will read fairly close at 12.5 volts, but not both at the same time. I tried setting the range anywhere from 8 volts to 19 volts with offsets up to 7+ volts and they never get close at both ends. With the range and offset adjusted so the low end reads correctly at 11 volts, a fully charged pack shows as 11.9 volts. With it adjusted so that a fully charged pack reads 12.5 volts, an 11 volt pack reads at 11.7 volts or so.

I havent tested any of the other receivers yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
After reading this, I thought I'd better check my own setups. Below is some info I got from an X4R / vario installation I have in one of my oldtimers.

The X4R A2 pin is connected directly to the output of a voltage divider I have across the input terminals of the ESC (1/8 watt 1k5 and 4k7 resistors, giving a ratio of about 4.1). Power input was from a bench power supply, voltage measured with a good quality, calibrated DVM.

All I did by way of adjustment was to set the A2 range on the transmitter to read correctly at about 11 volts. See results graph. I could get rid of the last few millvolts differences with an offset adjustment, but what I have now is close enough for me.

I know this is only a sample of one, but I'm pretty impressed so far. I'll check my other installations soon.

MrE, I have no idea why your results should be so different. Maybe a faulty X4R? Any other thoughts or comments from anyone?
I just set up another model using an X4R and the FBVS-01 voltage sensor. While I was soldering things up I had one of those "well DUH!" moments. The FBVS comes with the wires soldered on in the 3S-5S position which is expecting you to set the voltage range in the tx to 19.8 volts - NOT - 13,2 volts.

So I hooked this one up and set the telemetry RANGE to 19.8 volts and it reads very nearly perfect over the entire voltage range with pack voltages from 10.6 volts up to 12.55 volts.

Later tonight I will re-test my other X4R setup using a different FBVS.01 and see if using the correct settings makes it work better.

Sometimes a little RTFM goes a long ways
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:38 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,475 Posts
Ok, after setting the voltage range to the correct value -19.8 - based on how the FBVS-01 is wired, my other X4R setup now reads very close all the way between 10.7 volts to 12.55 volts.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:52 AM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
313 Posts
All of the above discussions seem to indicate that the A2 A/D is fine. The internal A1 seems to be less linear/accurate, at least in the X series RXs.
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:56 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,475 Posts
Yup. The errors in A2 I was seeing were all due to user error

The A1 errors are only a problem for those of you using 1 or 2 cell packs for rx power - but thats a lot of folks these days. BEC users will be fine for the most part.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:01 AM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Yup. The errors in A2 I was seeing were all due to user error

The A1 errors are only a problem for those of you using 1 or 2 cell packs for rx power - but thats a lot of folks these days. BEC users will be fine for the most part.
That is why theaKM and Amber made
"User Error! - Replace user and try again."
OldDmbThms is online now Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:41 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
That is why theaKM and Amber made
"User Error! - Replace user and try again."
One of my favorites!