HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Question
Rc18t Servo Issue

My rc18t has been giving me a headache. Every time I hit the throttle the servo causes the steering to turn. Its as if the servo is reacting to hitting the throttle. Now I have tried swapping the esc and receiver and it still does the same thing. What made it stop was pulling the esc off and extending it as far away as the wires would allow. Just wondering is there anyway to fix the servo or possibly the wire?
Thanks
koinkiddink is offline Find More Posts by koinkiddink
Last edited by koinkiddink; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: changed title to question
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
you may check the drive train / wheels to make sure you didnt break a drive bone or pin as this will cause it to turn one direction or another when accelerating . as one wheel is not pulling will cause these kind of problems .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:18 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,877 Posts
If you hold it in the air, is the servo actually turning?
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:12 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
im sorry i didnt read carefuly enfugh on my first answer .
you say if you hold the esc away far enfugh it then stops . im guessing its a 27mhz am band radio ?? you may need to either replace or if not there add a capaciter to the motor as the high frequency caused by the motor / esc will cause interference if a capaciter is gone bad or not installed . also look into testing another radio if it has been dropped and or in extream heat it may have an issue not saying it does but it would rule out another possable problem.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you hold it in the air, is the servo actually turning?
Yeah the servo is turning. And rcphreak I tried another rx and tx combo and it did the same thing. Is there any instructional video on installing a capacitor.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
it is soldered between the leads going to the motor and the motor can, one on each side .. heres an illistration ..---
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Oh ok, thanks. I actually ordered a cheap replacement servo to see if it will fix the problem. If not, then I will probably try this.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,877 Posts
Before you solder anything to the motor, is it brushed or brushless? What transmitter/receiver did you try as an alternate? I would bet that the servo isn't the culprit at all.

If it's brushed and an AM transmitter/receiver you definitely need the capacitor on the motor. If it's brushless and/or 2.4ghz the capacitor won't do anything.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Before you solder anything to the motor, is it brushed or brushless? What transmitter/receiver did you try as an alternate? I would bet that the servo isn't the culprit at all.

If it's brushed and an AM transmitter/receiver you definitely need the capacitor on the motor. If it's brushless and/or 2.4ghz the capacitor won't do anything.
thanks for that parson i forgot they now come in brushless . as parsons said ...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Yeah it's the brushed one and running the am receiver