HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Bryan,

Glad everything went together nicely! Thanks for bringing the EasyStar battery bay issue to my attention - I assumed that it would be identical to the clones. What needed to be shortened, and by how much? Perhaps I could make a quick change to the battery tray design.

For others still waiting, the second batch hasn't arrived yet because the laser cutter is having trouble with the file format I used. I had rebuilt the design in SolidWorks, and the drawing output isn't the same as it was in CATIA. We're still working on that, but in the meantime, I have four pre-assembled pods from the first batch that I brought to a local fun-fly but didn't end up selling. I'd be willing to ship these if anyone's interested. They're made from the thicker wood, but parts fitting is a non-issue since I've already assembled them. Just shoot me a PM if interested.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Canada, ON, Welland
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Bryan,

I assumed that it would be identical to the clones. What needed to be shortened, and by how much? Perhaps I could make a quick change to the battery tray design.
I took 3 and 3/16" off the back of the tray. The battery bay ends about mid way along the servo pockets on the side. Also the round slide rails would have to be shorter to get under the servo indentations. The back plate needs to be a bit smaller and the front needs to extend a touch further. The lip at the back fits well and holds the tray. Even though I might mod it a bit, I still like the design. Again, I knew this ordering as a friend of mine has a Bixler for comparison. His is the second tray from my order.
Technoweenie is offline Find More Posts by Technoweenie
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that the EasyStar has such a short battery bay. Looks like the canopy contours are slightly different as well. I'm glad you were able to make it work. Putting the second pod in the Bixler will prove an interesting comparison - you'll find that it fits quite nicely .
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
How can I order one for Sky Surfer and EZ*
can it accommodate GoPro and FPV cam together?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,031 Posts
Awesome product! Can you post pics of a complete setup, with all electronics installed?
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Sure, here are some pics from the beginning of the thread that are probably worthy of re-posting. These are of my first pod, which is slightly different than the recent ones in that it has a protrusion for the inverted vee antenna, among other things. In the picture, it houses a VSN700 camera, 900mhz video transmitter, microphone, LC filter, Eagle Tree ELogger, OSD Pro, Guardian module, and altimeter, and a 3S 2200mah battery.

nakelp86 - thanks for the interest, I've answered your questions via PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Wow, this thread gets buried pretty quick. I've still got two of the pre-built pods available.

Eric
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:47 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Wow, this thread gets buried pretty quick. I've still got two of the pre-built pods available.

Eric
Hi do you make it also for GoPro?

Thanks!!

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Hi do you make it also for GoPro?

Thanks!!

Pablo.
Hi Pablo,

There's a couple ways to mount a GoPro to the pod. You could either attach one of the GoPro adhesive mounts to a scrap piece of plywood and screw that to the top plate of the pod, or do the same with the plastic plate that the camera is packaged with. This mounting position is high enough to keep the airplane's nose and flight camera (if used) out of the GoPro's field of view.

Eric
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:51 PM
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Joined Mar 2007
278 Posts
I'm almost decided on buying a Bixler, but I'm not sure about positioning everything together. Don't you get interference having the vTx near all the electronics?

I had a SlowStick that I had to put the vTx all the way to the back, in the tail. What's your experience with everything together in the pod?

Also, can you tell what frequencies are you using for video and RC control? I'm using FrSky 2.4 system with a 1.3 GHz vTx.
OrlandoP is offline Find More Posts by OrlandoP
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:21 AM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
OrlandoP,

I've chosen to mount the radio receiver in the tail, and keep everything else in the nose. I haven't had any interference issues running a FrSky 2.4ghz system and 900mhz video. I've got friends who run 1.3ghz video with either 72mhz or Spektrum 2.4ghz, and neither of them have had issues either. However, it'd probably be a good idea to use a low-pass filter on the video transmitter.

Eric
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
Kits In Stock!

Hey guys,

Got some new kits from the laser cutter. These are made from the new material, which is a bit lighter and doesn't pick up any charring residue from the laser. They're not quite as beefy as those made from the thicker wood, but you'll have bigger issues if you crash hard enough to break it .

See post #1 for ordering information, or just send me a PM. I've also still got two of the "beefier" pods (one assembled, one in kit form) if there's anyone who'd rather have the extra durability.

Eric
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:39 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Looking good, thanks again for the one I got, I made some mods already for my needs, will post pics when Im done.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,610 Posts
I helped a flying buddy put together a Sky Surfer FPV platform over the weekend, and we used one of the new pods. I have to say, the new wood saves a bit more weight than expected once everything is put together. Not enough for me to justify replacing my trusty original pod, but a happy side effect from switching to the new material .

I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, OR, Grants Pass
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Super Sky Surfer Pod

Hello

I was wondering if the sky surfer pod you make will fix the new "BlitzRCworks Super Sky Surfer? The wings are 94 inches, but I 'am not sure if body size is bigger. I just ordered it today so can not tell you the exact size, but probably same has the regular sky surfer. Anyway I will paypal you $40.00 if it will fix. Please e-mail me and let me know.

Thank You
Larry Scott
E-Mail: bluemax@oigp.net
BlueMax555 is offline Find More Posts by BlueMax555