HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Discussion
Replacing the GoPro Hero2 lens

I have just recently bought the GoPro Hero2, but I am a bit disappointed with the Narrow FOV quality.
Therefore I am thinking of replacing the lens with a Sunex or similar.

Does any of you know if the lenses people are using for "Hero1" also can be used on Hero2? (Ive heard some people say yes and some say no)
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
anyone?
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
704 Posts
nope
MauiNate is online now Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
nope
Nope,no one knows or nope,can't be used on Hero 2 ?
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
704 Posts
doesn't fit.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:39 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
doesn't fit.
This doesnt make sense if one should believe whats being said on stuntcams.com.

This replacement lense with 115 degrees FOV i said to fit on both "Hero1" and Hero 2.
This is what they write in the link above:

The worlds first GoPro 3.2MM megapixel lens kit! Now works in all modes! Great for wide angle or custom views with macro-focusing. Note: with this new lens installed, the camera WILL fit inside the waterproof case. Works with GoPro HD and GoPro 2!

Does anyone have any comments on this? To be honest, I dont have a clue on what is the truth here.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2007
704 Posts
Go ahead and try it if you don't believe the people here. GoPro HD is 5mp and the HD2 is 11mp. Even if the threads match, the lens won't work as it is not designed for such a large sensor. The problem is even if it does fit, it won't work. The lack of any photos or demonstration video from a HD2 causes me to suspect their claims. But try it if you don't believe what is posted here, you'll find out just like you found out about the "cropping" even though it is highly detailed in the forums.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
You are a strange kind Mauinate, its just something about your choice of words which is a bit confusing. Are you polite or not?

Anyway, for me its not a question of believing this or that. I just see some people are saying yes it will work, some people are saying no. The megapixels has nothing to do with the lens fitting or not. If it doesnt fit it has to do with the physical size of the lens.

And btw. When it comes to "cropping" I was right, not wrong.
I am very disappointed with the so called cropping, and that is actually why I want to go for a Sunex-lens. The way Hero2 "crops" the sensor makes it useless for professional use when using narrow FOV. Mainly because of the increased jello-effect caused by the rolling shutter.

So, has anyone actually tried tu use these lenses and can confirm what is right and what is wrong?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
704 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. The image circle thrown by a lens that covers a 5mp sensor will not cover an 11mp sensor, regardless if the threads match or not. Much like how an ef-s lens will fit my 5dmkII but it will not work, but the sunnex case is worse in that the sensor to lens distance actually changes as well. I have not tried it because the basic data says that it will not work, its not worth wasting the time disassembling my hero2 to attach my sunnex lens to it.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Mauinate, you are mistakingly thinking the image-sensor has gotten bigger. The sensor has more pixels but the size stays the same 1/2.5"

Therefore the circle thrown by the lens will fit the hero2 sensor perfectly if it fits the "Hero1". What I dont know is if the physical dimensions of the lenses are the same on those two cameras, and that is why I am wondering about this thing.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
704 Posts
Nope, I'm right. Check out the specs themselves at gopro.com. I even talked to one of the designers at the SEMA show in Vegas and showed them my hero1 with sunnex lens.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
I see now that we both are wrong and both are right. Mistakingly some sites on the net states both has 1/2.5" image sensor. I was wrong there since the Hero2 is slightly larger, 1/2.3".
But still this has nothing to do with the megapixelcount, so to understand how this works, you have to put aside those theories.

SO THE QUESTION REMAINS UNANSWERED:
Will the stuntcam-lenses fit on Hero2?

The physical size of the sensor is about the same, and as it seems, the distance from the front of the camera to the sensor is also the same.

Therefore, opposed to what you are saying MauiNate, many of the stuntcams-lenses will be doable if the physical "screw-diameter" of the lenses are the same on both cameras.

So does anybody out there know if the "screw-diameter" is the same?
In that case stuntcams will work.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:37 PM View Post
RAGECAMS
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while RAGECAMS edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:50 PM View Post
RAGECAMS
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while RAGECAMS edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:48 PM View Post
RAGECAMS