HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Ok I guess it was in holding mode which makes sense.. I have it on a switch, too - so how do you switch it to Rate mode?
The travel on the channel will determine it. Usually gyros like this are setup for 0-50 is rate mode and above 50 up to 100 is HH mode. So 50 is actually 0 gain on HH. It's kind of hard to explain and smarter people than I have tutorials on this stuff. I just started lowering the ATV on one end to have the light on but no response. That is my off mode. Then I lowered the other side so that I had about 30% gain in Rate mode. Just a feel type thing, you can raise or lower the gain after you fly it a few times. The Futaba radio I set this up on just crapped out on my in the middle of the CO FPV meet. The soft buttons stopped on two critical menu items, so I can't give you anymore info at the moment.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
Oh ok got it.. no worries I understand. Going to test tonight :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCesar View Post
I like that motor also, but is on backorder..... so bad....
Thanks
Here are a few other types of motors that have been recommended. I am not sure about the first two but the second two show up on their associated websites.

HTX 2835 (380S) 2700kv from HobbyKing
2836-22 2200kv from HeadsupRC
Six Series E-flight 28mm 2000kv from Horizon Hobby
HiModel 2200kv B2835-D from HiModel

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4 Posts
Outrunner suggestion for GoPro skysurfer?!?

First, I need to thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge in this thread!! I was able to "fix" a lot of build and stablility issues before I even started!

My skysurfer has been reinforced with an extra CF rod on the wing along with one going down the fuse. I've got a gopro with 1.3 ghz system on board. I used the readymaderc mount, just without the pan&tilt.

The bird seems pretty heavy! I currently have a 2600kv inrunner with a 6x5 prop, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it.... Let alone my flight times on a 2200 mah is less than 10 minutes.

I bought the cnc variable motor mount in hopes to put an outrunner on it with a bigger prop, but I REALLY need to know what I should get, along with appropriate ESC to go with it. I'd like plenty of power on launch and to get it up in the air, but would like as much flight/float time as possible.

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

Murf
mikepmurf is offline Find More Posts by mikepmurf
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Here is a nice list that might help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529648
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:23 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I use this motor and a 6x4 prop on my fpv plane. Flies great and cruises nicely. Plus, if you ever have a problem with the engine, Dan will fix it.

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...=MD2505-C-2535
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Hi all- thanks for this thread- been building my first fpv platform equipment for some time now- and started my sky surfer v1 ( from readymaderc) build this week- paint job, pan/tilt mount, flaps, LEDs, upgrade motor/ ESC/prop etc- will be running frsky 2.4ghz rc with 1280mhz video with LPF and LC- plus rangevideo OSD and antenna tracking- will add pics and video as it comes- for those of you running 2.4ghz rc radio (especially frsky) with 1.2ghz video-check out this thread- 'dipoles for 2.4ghz' http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1426685- changing the stock rc RX antennas for dipoles will make a tremendous difference in range when harmonics between 1.2 ghz and 2.4ghz normally kill 2.4ghz rc RX range -upgrading your rc RX antennas make all the difference- no need to boost with amplifiers or patch antennas on the rc TX...

On another note and tip- check out this new revolutionary hd fpv /rc dedicated cam- truly a go pro killer-1080p/30fps, 720p 60fps, a fraction of the weight of the go pro (only 38g total), plug n play to run as live fpv and recording cam, powers off of rc RX socket ( no worries about go pro battery failing in live feed), can mount to standard pan tilt mounts etc -all for only $150- foxtech's HoryzonHD fpv cam- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1630045- I was lucky enough to win a free sample- and will be posting a review soon!
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Last edited by TheSelf; Apr 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
New record for me today, 2770 feet AGL . Was an excellent flight, video will be soon .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Oh ok got it.. no worries I understand. Going to test tonight :-)
Andy, I found this if it helps....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2206
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
2770ft AGL FPV Altitude Record (9 min 21 sec)

My flight today
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Congratulations on your new height record. I'm impressed.

I also have a head ache watching your video shake around.

Were you able to eliminate the other interference you had been getting before or did you just put distance between the two antennae?.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
My first post here. Hello to everyone.

Love the Sky Surfer. Wore out my SS "first plane trainer." Want to purchase another, but looks like everyone is out. I see mention of toysonics.com. Did anyone purchase from them recently? If so, what version is it? Does it even matter what version? Ordered the brushless and running 2200 mah 3 cell on a Specktrum DX8

Thanks guys.
Serpentine is offline Find More Posts by Serpentine
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Congratulations on your new height record. I'm impressed.

I also have a head ache watching your video shake around.

Were you able to eliminate the other interference you had been getting before or did you just put distance between the two antennae?.
Some distance, a car, a laptop, and a Windsurfer directional on my omni, which actually helps a LOT, though there was some interference here and there but not too bad, I was getting a lot of rc glitches about 1.5km out and about 2000 feet up, I put that windsurfer on my antenna and it completely stopped glitching with exception to when I was accidentally aiming the thing a little off (you can see in the video when RTL kicks in).

It's the EZCap that is making everything jump, I wish my live view was what got recorded because it often is rock solid. I noticed the whiteness of my planes nose also contributed, so I put a graphic on my nose which did help a lot, but it's still quite bright. I saw an idea of putting some electrical tape on the top of the lens on the camera to act like a sunshade and I might try that tomorrow.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Many people on this thread have suggested not to glue your fpv sky surfer fuselage halves together for easy re access to the innards of the fuse and instead tape the halves together- makes sense to me and I'm choosing not to glue with my build

I have painted my airframe and every time tape is removed, paint will come off with it-I'm sure I can get over it, but as an alternative or at least in addition to tape, what about holding the 2 fuse halves together with those Hobbyking rare earth magnets? I'll be using those magnets myself to hold the two wing halves together alone- will magnets alone, holding the fuse halves together be strong enough to hold everything inside? Will having a lot of magnets in a plane ( and the associated magnetic fields) interfere with all the electrical components ( osd, gps, Vtx, RX, antennas, camera etc) drastically? Will they add too much weight? What about rubber cement glue ( easy to remove with no damage to the foam) to hold the halves togther, possibly combined with magnets? Thanks for anyone's feedback and happy flying!
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:45 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
I just added a access bay under the belly.. easy to access and can store everything in the fuselage now.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi