HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:41 AM
100% crasher
Sverige, Skåne Län, Hässleholm
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
larger foam plane project

new member but not a newbie to the flying at all (been crashing a LOT- LOL!!)
recently I have some ideas about building a slightly bigger plane in foam board.
it will be a full fuselage body and wings with profile. it might be so big so that it will be needed with split wings, so, any suggestions about a smart, simple wingjoiner arrangement.
fin and stab will be from balsa, i think.

this will all take some time, my building is not the fastest since there is other things going around as well.

//jj

CU
alfa166 is offline Find More Posts by alfa166
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:55 AM
Ilkley, UK
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
Hi alfa,
I build 1/10scale PSS models from Styrofoam and have used 5mm foamboard for fins and tailplanes. Beware! If you paint or glue this board, do both sides straight away and hang it up to dry. It will warp dead easy if you do one side first and wait.
Will follow with interest your problem re wing joining as I have a similar problem with my MIG15.

Mike
zetland76 is offline Find More Posts by zetland76
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:51 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,997 Posts
The problem may be that we are in different parts of the World. Here I found that a carbon arrow shaft fits perfect into an aluminum arrow shaft. Carbon arrow = wing spar, aluminum arrow (short piece) = fuselage mounting tube.

Maybe you could find some rod and tubes made from something else and do a similar wing joiner arrangement.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B