HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
What are you Team pilots suggesting for expo on Slicks? Does it change from 59" to 89"?

Just wondering. I can't ever seem to know where I feel comfortable with expo.
...it's just about narrowing in on a preference and/or practice. It's all personal preference. I have a high expo (up around 75% on a Futaba style curve), others have lower expo and make more use of rate switches, some simply like less expo. What is printed in the manuals is the expo of the designers, in this case AJ.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
You have to have a well balanced plane to harrier land without power and you need to be a good judge of speed during the whole landing process. I used to do dead stick harrier landings all the time on a profile plane, granted it had thicker wing so aerodynamics plays a role in it but I can see this slick having a potential. I've also done twenty foot drop tailslides with a bipe and again the secret is in the proper CG placement. You need to experiment. What I do, is I tape a spice bottle to the nose or tail, and then I add or remove weight. I go thru a lot of trial and error but it's the only way to land at a CG you like for your maneuvers.

A proper CG can turn a turd of a plane into a great flying plane. My friend has the 51" slick and he said when he first flew the plane that it sucked but then moved the CG back and the plane turned into a winner. I did a foot drop tailslide with his plane so I'm thinking my plane can also do it.

Yesterday to test my throws, CG, etc. I put the plane into an upright flat spin and punch in some throttle and made the plane come down almost like a leaf. I'm close.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Actually, I shouldn't call them harrier landings but more like 'pancake landings'. The nose is still above horizon but not as much I guess as in a proper harrier. I just thought it would make it less confusing rather than calling it pancake landings. I'm sure some of you have done them before as they're pretty fun and challenging to do because one needs to time the flare so he doesn't bust the gear.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
blucor basher's Avatar
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
FlyStraight, lots of people here do harrier landings, they do them all the time, they know how to do them and your descriptions aren't making much sense.

Instead of dispensing setup advice, I suggest making a video showing these flying techniques because otherwise pill bottles, dead-stick harrier landings...not going to compute for the rest of us. We don't do any of that stuff. We move our battery around a bit until we like it and then we fly like this:

3DHS 59-slick-SEFF 2011 (7 min 2 sec)
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
exactly what I was thinking:
a video from flystraight would be awesome!!!!


I just unboxed mine--it's gorgeous but I am removing the stars and blue and yellow :-).
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
FlyStraight, lots of people here do harrier landings, they do them all the time, they know how to do them and your descriptions aren't making much sense.

Instead of dispensing setup advice, I suggest making a video showing these flying techniques because otherwise pill bottles, dead-stick harrier landings...not going to compute for the rest of us. We don't do any of that stuff. We move our battery around a bit until we like it and then we fly like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YZaj8_8ck
And I know for a fact that plane balances right at the wing tube. No ifs and's or butts about it. Ya'll should try balancing the plane on the wing tube just once, Then you will experience how well the 59 fly's.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:37 PM
CHOO CHOO
6L6Amp's Avatar
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyStraight View Post
A proper CG can turn a turd of a plane into a great flying plane. My friend has the 51" slick and he said when he first flew the plane that it sucked but then moved the CG back and the plane turned into a winner. I did a foot drop tailslide with his plane so I'm thinking my plane can also do it.
If you friend said the 51" Slick "sucked" with the CG in the recommended range, I'd suggest that the plane isn't the problem.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
I was happy with my CG & I'd be glad to to try any other CG. However, a noob midaired IPS jr on the 3rd flight and destroyed the plane.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors View Post
I was happy with my CG & I'd be glad to to try any other CG. However, a noob midaired IPS jr on the 3rd flight and destroyed the plane.
Bummer. Sorry.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
Can I make that a tee shirt? Maybe it's the lack of coffee, or the welders fumes, but that right there is funny..I don't care who ya are
+1 put me down for one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors View Post
I was happy with my CG & I'd be glad to to try any other CG. However, a noob midaired IPS jr on the 3rd flight and destroyed the plane.
Ahh man, that sucks, I was helping my mate maiden his brand new E-flite carbon Yak a week ago and when I gave him control (buddy box) he had about 30 seconds of flying before a trainer at the field cut across his line and midaired,

funny thing was the "foam" Yak landed safely with only a bust motor mount and the "ply balsa" trainer ended up in a spiral dive of 1000 pieces.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:18 PM
Registered User
dentalpain's Avatar
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
I think flystraight should start a utube 3D clinic. I wanna learn dead stick pancake landings and 20' tail slides. Sounds fun!

Maiden tomorrow. Im going to use my fingers to adjust my CG, I never understood millimeters anyways
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Last edited by dentalpain; May 25, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:30 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
I wonder why 3DHS provided mounting bolts that are bigger than the holes in the X-mount of a recommended motor. Would the supplied bolts fit the X-mount of the Motrofly 3620?
yes. No drilling required of the X-mount. 3/8" spacer +1 washer depending on how big you like your spinner gap. Bolt on and enjoy.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
Registered User
RC_Feen's Avatar
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
And I know for a fact that plane balances right at the wing tube. No ifs and's or butts about it. Ya'll should try balancing the plane on the wing tube just once, Then you will experience how well the 59 fly's.
Joe..may I ask what motor, ESC and pack you were using in that plane? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Buzzed's Avatar
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,081 Posts
Ok, this is my new favorite 3DHS plane. Oh man is this thing awesome!

I went with the recommended Hacker, a 15x7 APC, Ice 100, AR 8000 receiver, and AJ's digi Futaba servos. Even have some brand spankin' new Nano Tech 4S 4000s from HK. The 25-50C batteries are nice and light.

I got out to the field here in Phoenix WAY before the glow P-40 crowd and it was cool n' calm. Did the old hold-the-plane-by-the-wing-tube balance trick and off she went! A few clicks of elev and aileron trim and then a few snaps, blenders, knife edge spins, and a hover proved to me that this is one beautiful flying 3DHS bird. Only Team 3DHS can invent a plane that gives me the confidence to max perform on a maiden. Hehe.

I have just finished charging for this evenings sunset session with my fellow Addicts. Can't wait to fly it again!

Enjoy the photos and thank you Ben, AJ, and Team 3DHS,

-Buzzed

P.S. Flew for 7-minutes and landed at 15.0 volts on my 4S battery. A very efficient setup. May prop it up to a Xoar 15x8 for a little more thrust.

(BTW, NeverEnough did a fine job with the build!)
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Ok, this is my new favorite 3DHS plane. Oh man is this thing awesome!

I went with the recommended Hacker, a 15x7 APC, Ice 100, AR 8000 receiver, and AJ's digi Futaba servos. Even have some brand spankin' new Nano Tech 4S 4000s from HK. The 25-50C batteries are nice and light.

I got out to the field here in Phoenix WAY before the glow P-40 crowd and it was cool n' calm. Did the old hold-the-plane-by-the-wing-tube balance trick and off she went! A few clicks of elev and aileron trim and then a few snaps, blenders, knife edge spins, and a hover proved to me that this is one beautiful flying 3DHS bird. Only Team 3DHS can invent a plane that gives me the confidence to max perform on a maiden. Hehe.

I have just finished charging for this evenings sunset session with my fellow Addicts. Can't wait to fly it again!

Enjoy the photos and thank you Ben, AJ, and Team 3DHS,

-Buzzed

P.S. Flew for 7-minutes and landed at 15.0 volts on my 4S battery. A very efficient setup. May prop it up to a Xoar 15x8 for a little more thrust.

(BTW, NeverEnough did a fine job with the build!)
Looks awesome mate, glad you love the plane, can't wait for mine.

Looks like you have an amazing field to fly at
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 3DHobbyShop 70" AJ Slick bbigdog2243 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 31, 2010 11:24 PM
Video 3DHobbyShop Aj Slick ''Rc Day Two Rockin'' with onboard video Get Real Electric Plane Talk 2 Jun 18, 2009 03:07 AM
Sold 3dhobbyshop AJ Slick Wings Flazo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 May 16, 2009 10:46 PM
Discussion 3DHobbyShop 51" AJ SLICK - how durable for 3D moves? Voyager 3D Flying 13 May 06, 2009 06:10 AM