HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:56 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Discussion
Nitroplanes Swift Kit Electric RC 4 Channel

I just ordered one of these at a 20% discount, basically saving the shipping cost. $107.29 on the doorstep.
No customer reviews on the site yet.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/23a04-swift-kit.html

Description:
The Nitroplanes Swift Kit is a beautiful sail plane with the fuselage constructed of fiberglass. The remarkably long and expansive wings span 1753 which is approx 5.8 feet long! The combination of the low drag horizontal and vertical stabilizers and uncompromised aerodynamic design of the sleek fuselage provide unprecedented gliding performance at low speeds and high wing loadings. All control surfaces are pre-cut with included hinges and hardware to complete assembly. The Swift’s proven airfoil gives its smooth and versatile flying characteristics with exceptional thermalling performance and has the strength and reinforcement to withstand light aerobatic maneuvers. Just like the full scale model, the Swift looks graceful and beautiful in the air.

Specifications:
Fuselage Length: 1065mm
Wing Span: 1753mm
Wing Area: 28sp dm
ARF Weight: 630g

Recommended/Needed to Fly:
4 Channel Transmitter
4 Channel Radio
Folding Propeller
C2820 1800KV Brushless Motor
45Amp Electronic Speed Controller
7.4v 1700-2200mah Li-Po Battery

NP posted a video:
Nitroplanes Swift Electric Glider (8 min 36 sec)
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Last edited by Galand; Apr 19, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:57 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Reserved for Mods

My mods and comments will be posted here.
Last edited by Galand; Feb 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:11 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,120 Posts
Looks to be very similar to the swift sold by Hobby-Lobby. Jason Cole had a few posts about it. Looks like a nice sub 2m flyer. I am tempted at that price, but I am saturated with +/- 2m gliders at the moment.

I bet they would have sold more (and not be on close out) had NP done a better job of photography. I want to see an assembled example in the ad. Until recently, they just had the parts shown in their ad. It is too hard to visualize as sub-assemblies, imho.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:48 PM
venice ca
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
thanks galand just ordered one to good price
donald s is offline Find More Posts by donald s
Old Mar 01, 2014, 05:42 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,840 Posts
Nice as I was just looking at this one by accident the other day, and for $89.00 delivered it is tempting.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:18 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Kit arrived today. Well packaged with everything well taped inside the box. No damage.
Nice colors but will need stripes on the bottom of the wing.
All the pics in the manual are under-exposed and somewhat difficult to see.
A quick scan shows some interesting building challenges like the oval cut in the middle of the flap to accomodate the fuse is up to you to make!
A long one piece wing and no CF rod to stiffen or strenghten !
Will look at it this weekend.
Aileron servo plastic covers are missing!!!
Last edited by Galand; Mar 06, 2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:18 PM
Balls O' Wood
Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2001
376 Posts
Just received one myself...
Overall seems to be same model as HL Samurai, but is not the same fuse pod. This design pod has the wing mounted higher -a pylon-type pod. It does not require the scallop on the flap for clearance. It also does not have the channel in the 'chin' of the pod to accommodate outrunner motor wires running back.

Good quality for the price indeed.
RV-4 flyer is offline Find More Posts by RV-4 flyer
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:47 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 flyer View Post
Just received one myself...
Overall seems to be same model as HL Samurai, but is not the same fuse pod. This design pod has the wing mounted higher -a pylon-type pod. It does not require the scallop on the flap for clearance. It also does not have the channel in the 'chin' of the pod to accommodate outrunner motor wires running back.

Good quality for the price indeed.
You are right. The manual picture still shows the "scalloped" flap but the wing mount on this model is high enough not to need it.
The hinges are marvellous. I could not make those.
Running the servo leads through the central wing section looks like fun!
I guess we will have to cut an opening in the "chin" to run the motor wires, unless I can find an in-runner that is not too heavy.
I want to see how it balances first.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:52 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
765 Posts
Been waiting for someone to start a thread like this. Thanks Galand!
Lusted after the ever "out of stock" E-Scale Samurai for a while now and thought this ship had similar specs at a good price point. Any chance that a carbon tube can be stuffed in the wing and the panels be made removable?
8thelephant is online now Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:30 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thelephant View Post
Been waiting for someone to start a thread like this. Thanks Galand!
Lusted after the ever "out of stock" E-Scale Samurai for a while now and thought this ship had similar specs at a good price point. Any chance that a carbon tube can be stuffed in the wing and the panels be made removable?
Other "Honey Do" stuff got in the way, so I have not really started on this model.
A one piece wing is not that difficult to stick in the car.
Since the wings are balsa covered foam, it's not obvious to build a CF rod into them.
We'll see. Maybe this WE.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:48 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
765 Posts
Well, I ordered one with the discount. Too good to pass up
Let's see if this 1.75M wing can fit in my small car...... I can hear the drill in the foam core already.

HoneyDo's.... hahaaa! I hear ya.
8thelephant is online now Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Mar 16, 2014, 07:39 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
The only in-runner I have found so far is this one: Keda KB28-35 (380S) 1100kv Brushless Inrunner
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...hless-inrunner.
Problems: UK source, bit heavy and not cheap.
I want to be able to swing a 10-11" folding prop. 1000Kv would be perfect on 3S.
May not be realistic.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:54 PM
Balls O' Wood
Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2001
376 Posts
I too plan to make the wing outer panels removable, along with making the boom detachable from the fuse pod. This thing will just pack down into such an impossibly small box to travel with that it would be a shame not to do it.

Gonna come up with a carbon wing joiner scheme.
RV-4 flyer is offline Find More Posts by RV-4 flyer
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:53 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Decided to mount an Exceed Alpha 450 26-36 (890kv) Brushless Motor that I had in my box. It will swing an 11x6 but I will mount a set of Radian blades 9.75x7.5 from spare box.
I ran the wires inside the fuse but I am a bit concerned that the can will rub against the wires. Will have to tape them down against the bottom of the fuse. Will need a longer pair of fingers
This motor has a 4mm shaft. It was not easy to find 30mm dia folding prop spinner with a 4mm collet, but Aloft Hobbies has them.
Wing servos installed with some servo protectors I had in the box from a HK Ventus.
RV-4 am going to wait with glueing the wing together until I see your solution for removable wing tips
Will need to build a support/fixation system for the battery inside the fuse.
Last edited by Galand; Mar 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:36 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Cutting out the canopy is going to be fun