HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:46 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug47 View Post
Tru-Turn spinners can make you up one of those pretty darn quick,and they are top-shelf.
I agree with tclaridge. I know the multi-blade spinners look good, but in most nitro/gas applications their circumference is WAY off, with th eelectric ones being a little closer but usually not quite there.
It's just no biggie to me, when they're spinning who cares? Also, the only reason in the world for multi-bladed props on WW2 warbirds was and is ground clearance. There's sure no performance advantage. I think they did a lovely job with that 109. Doug
Nope Tru-Turn won't do it. I emailed them and got this responce.

Hi Walter,

Unfortunately, that is not a shape that we offer. The closest we have would be our 4.5 P-51.
http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Amanda
Tru-Turn
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
I have to chuckle a little at the 3 vs. 2 blade discussion. Kahloq is correct on the full scale. On the models, 2 blade is more efficient than 3 blade, the air doesn't scale. Three blade looks so darn cool though...

For those who model the Bf109F and later series a lot (my vice) spinners are a constant challenge. Again, Kahlog is correct that True Turn doesn't have one, and as I recall they charge a fortune for any custom work - well over $1,000 USD as I recall. I use vacuum form on smaller and fiberglass hand made on the larger. The spinner of the Brian Taylor Bf109F is available from Trapplet and very well done in aluminum. It's a blast to spool up your 109 and watch that aluminium nose spin without one bit of vibration.

If you search over at RC Scale Builder site, you can find a few people who pictorially demonstrate doing your own spinner from fiberglass. Basically you build a wooden or foam mold then build a fiberglass mold of that and then cast your part in the fiberglass mold. A fair amount of work but very satisfying for those who do it.
Thanks for the tip on the spinner from Traplet. It's off by about 3mm, but that's close enough for me.
I'm far from being a scale perfectionist, but I do like to run the correct number of blades on my warbirds. I don't really care about efficiency. If I did then I would run single blade props.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Wrong. Why in the world do the "stupid" pattern/aerobatic types in model aircraft stick with 2 bladed props ? They need all they can get power wise.
The Corsair had a 4 bladed prop for ground clearance, the same reason that it had inverted gull wings. There are rigidity issues to deal with, true, but for models 2 blades are superior.
Everything that applies to full size airplanes does not apply to model airplanes with all that needs to be done is to simply figure in the scale.
How large would a 4 bladed prop need to be on a Corsair to be to scale the same size as a real Corsair ? That would take be some prop.
And who cares ? It's a model. It in no way is a scale model contestent, it wasn't designed that way, and I'm glad it's not.Go build a scale masterpiece, the plans are out there, get on it.

But , my God, what if there's no scale documentation, aluminum with a natural finish ~
Just take me now Jesus.
By the way-The Tru-turn statement was sarcasm. The point is why all the absurd hand wringing over a spinner ? Just spend a grand or whatever and have one made for your 300 dollar warbird.
It's gotta be a source of irritation for the project folks at Hangar 9 knowing they 'll be subject to all the absurd nit-picking coming with every new aircraft from the "scale intellegentsia".
Or, a good laugh for them maybe.
Sorry that I asked the Question Didn't mean to get anyones panties in a bunch!!! I'll just sit back and read what the experts have to say from now on
warbirdfan2 is online now Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:42 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
Sdshobby has them
Negative. Sdshobby has a kind of scale looking me109 spinner for an E version. They do NOT have the round scale type spinner for an F or later version.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:52 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,616 Posts
Great discussion about the spinner. Sure would be cool if someone would post up some photos of the plane in-flight or something. Oh wait...
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 PM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
506 Posts
Quote:
It's gotta be a source of irritation for the project folks at Hangar 9 knowing they 'll be subject to all the absurd nit-picking coming with every new aircraft from the "scale intellegentsia".
Or, a good laugh for them maybe.
Surely from a marketing perspective the target customer for this project is a scale fan. The 109 is a rare subject, it is not cheap (ie. foamy category), has all the extras like 80-degree retracts and scale struts, so the target customer expects a 3-blade spinner.

PS: I have both 2 and 3-blade spinners for all my warbirds, for the ESM 109E I got the 2-blade that was available and made the 3-blade with glass and resin using the 2-blade as a mould. It's a 3-hour job for someone who's done any glassing before.

PS2: I appreciate H9's response that the 3-blade spinner sales won't recover the manufacturing cost. It's a great project even without it !
w1nd6urfa is offline Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:02 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa View Post
What's your opinion about the camo colours on the H9 bird? I did a bit of research on the plane modeled after and found that JG54 in 1942 used RLM 70-71-65
I think the picture you posted answers the question pretty well - the models's colors seem a bit bright.

There are a couple easy solutions if you want to tone it down. Using either an airbrush or a rattle can (Tamiya model colors work great), get some light brown (sand-colored) paint and lightly dust the model until you get a blended, weathered effect that you are happy with.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:21 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
And who cares ? It's a model. It in no way is a scale model contestent, it wasn't designed that way, and I'm glad it's not.Go build a scale masterpiece....
I don't agree with your criticism or tone directed to those discussing scale aspects of this bird.

I've seen H9 models with very extensive modifications, and some with no modifications at all, and I would never think of criticizing the choices of their owners. Whether you want to modify a model ARF depends on your preferences, how much time you have and many other factors and it's a different answer for everybody. It's fair to have a discussion of the model's scale fidelity, to help modelers make their own decisions about if/what they modify. In fact, I think that modifying ARFs is sort of an art to itself - go check out some of Tom Hunt's threads if you want to see what a really talented modeler can do to an ARF.

I've only got so much time and love scale models. I build some from scratch but right now own several ARFs, some modified not at all, some modified so much that people are surprised to hear they started life as an ARF. I have a big (69" or so) Bf109E ARF from KMP in the basement that I was able to get delivered unpainted. I have as much fun thinking about what I'm going to change on it as I will building and someday flying it.

I'm delighted with this new H9 Bf109. I think it will look great stock, modified a little, or modified a lot and hope to see lots of pictures of all those. All my comments on scale fidelity are in the spirit of helping those who might want to modify it, not to criticise either Horizon or anyone who elects to fly it stock.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Last edited by 4 Scale; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Wrong. Why in the world do the "stupid" pattern/aerobatic types in model aircraft stick with 2 bladed props ? They need all they can get power wise.
The Corsair had a 4 bladed prop for ground clearance, the same reason that it had inverted gull wings. There are rigidity issues to deal with, true, but for models 2 blades are superior.
You are again incorrect. It isnt about all out "power" as you put it with 3D. The 3D guys use 2 blades with LOW pitched props to get the hovering thrust ability. AND because a 3D plane is designed as light as possible. There are many 3D planes that use 3 blade props in the modeling community. Full scale 3D planes(the Edge 540's, Extra 260's, 300;s etc) ALL use 3 blade props and they HAVE the ground clearance to use a larger diameter 2 blade...but they DONT.
Thats the complete opposite of a warbird and you don't seem to understand that since you mistakenly tried to equate the two as being similar in prop needs.

A Warbird wants higher pitch for speed and climbing ability, not hanging there on the prop mostly just waiting for another "enemy" to shoot it down. Efficeincy is defined in terms if what the plane is desigbned for...not an ALL encompassing..."Hey the 3d guys use 2blades so they gotta be better for warbirds of ANY size". Nope!!!

The bigger the plane, the less air turbulence is created between each prop blade....so at larger r/c scale and especially full scale...a multiblade prop can push more air then 2 blade can.....just too damn much wasted space between the propeller blades.
I also used the corsair as one example and you still went off on a tangent thinking you know everything. Wooops, wrong there again.
The protoype Spitfire started off with a 2 blade. Performance sucked so they switched to a 3 blade prop. Eventually, since the plane was already set design wise and been in production for quite some time, they went to a 4 blade to make use of the increases in horsepower and allow the plane to fly FASTER.
But...well....can only explain things to someone willing to listen.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:34 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
I think the picture you posted answers the question pretty well - the models's colors seem a bit bright.

There are a couple easy solutions if you want to tone it down. Using either an airbrush or a rattle can (Tamiya model colors work great), get some light brown (sand-colored) paint and lightly dust the model until you get a blended, weathered effect that you are happy with.
Or even better use the proper RLM colours, I have lots of modelling paints from my static modeling days

Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:46 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
The protoype Spitfire started off with a 2 blade. Performance sucked so they switched to a 3 blade prop.
Apart from being 2-blade the original prop was also wooden and fixed pitch, all factors adversely affecting its performance.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:28 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Negative. Sdshobby has a kind of scale looking me109 spinner for an E version. They do NOT have the round scale type spinner for an F or later version.
When you fly by at 125mph nobody will know the difference
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:45 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
When you fly by at 125mph nobody will know the difference
Anyone buying this plane would know and most ppl would know something's wrong. Even at 125mph, its pretty easy to tell the outline is fracked up using an bad rendition of an Emil spinner on a nose of an F or G. If you wanna slap that fuggly thing on the front of yours, go ahead. Its your plane. No one here is being scale police, but most here want the the plane to look right and not some sort of frankenscmitt.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:30 AM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
There is a thing called paint to fix that. Just saying
Randall
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:52 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I'd run a two blade before I stuck a some spinner on this one.
Frankenscmitt! Good one!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW