Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:24 AM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Discussion
PLA discharge rate question

anyone can suggest where I get my PL8 to discharge more then 4amps.

I have a meanwell SE1000-24 and when I try to discharge any battery I have.. (only 6S) it stops at 4amp. Batteries are 65C APLUS batteries with XT60.

Thanks in advance,

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,643 Posts
PL8 specs. Max. internal discharge capability is 100 watts.

6 S X 4.2V = 25.2 V

100 watts / 25.2 V = 3.96 Amps.

Looks correct to me. What often happens is that the max. discha4ge rate is overlooked.

One reason I recomend the PL8 over the PL6 even if one syas that they will never use over 6S is that PL8 has 100watts internal discharge while PL6 only has 50 watts.

One can ofcourse use regen. discharge or other means but higher internal dsc. capabilities are very handy at times.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Thanks Charles,

So, all is good then.. Appreciate the clarification.

Happy Holiday!

KS
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:16 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
I ran into the same thing a couple of years ago with my PL 8. It drove me nuts until I read the manual one more time. You have to be running the PL 8 off of external batteries to increase the discharge rate. Unless you do that, the PL 8 will use its internal circuitry to put a discharge load on the lipos. That load is kept low to prevent heat and other safety issues. That means a slow even safe discharge. When I've had to discharge six 6S 5300 maH packs, it takes less than two hours.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Thanks Stumblebee,

I picked up 2 12V deep cell battery 55Ahr each.. I series them together to get 24V.. I was able to get to drain at 8amp.. Great..

On the supply tab of the application, I am not able to change the Battery Low to something more then 12.50.. is that normal? wouldn't that be very low for both batteries series'd?

Also, should I bumped my "Regen. Charge Voltage IN to Pb= to something higher? I am using 22.2 V lipo.

Thank in advance..

KS
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrimoungchanh View Post
Thanks Stumblebee,

I picked up 2 12V deep cell battery 55Ahr each.. I series them together to get 24V.. I was able to get to drain at 8amp.. Great..

On the supply tab of the application, I am not able to change the Battery Low to something more then 12.50.. is that normal? wouldn't that be very low for both batteries series'd?

Also, should I bumped my "Regen. Charge Voltage IN to Pb= to something higher? I am using 22.2 V lipo.

Thank in advance..

KS
On this one I am going to have to defer to someone more knowledgeable in the use of batteries to power the PL8. The bulk of my experience has been using a pair of 12 volt 47 amp server power supplies in series. Regen does not work with them.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:49 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Stumblebee,

Thank in advance..

KS
Hi:

Be careful there. There's a Power Supply side and a Pb Battery side for the settings on the supply tab. On the Pb side, you only need to consider the LVC for one 12V battery. The PL multiplies the number you select by 2 because it can detect when you are running 2 in series. From your screen capture, it looks like you have the Pb enabled, so you're almost there. Now just set LV for 1 12v Pb.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Thanks Mr Marks,

After I change the "Battery Low Voltage Out = 12V", sounds like I just need to leave the other options where they are?

that option for "Regen. Charge Voltage IN to Pb = 14.4V specifically, since I am using 22.2 V, should it be at 14.4V or 22.2V.

thanks again for your help.

Regards,

KS
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mr Marks,

After I change the "Battery Low Voltage Out = 12V", sounds like I just need to leave the other options where they are?

that option for "Regen. Charge Voltage IN to Pb = 14.4V specifically, since I am using 22.2 V, should it be at 14.4V or 22.2V.

thanks again for your help.

Regards,

KS
Hi:

Regen Charge Voltage In to Pb follows same logic as LV. Set it per 12V battery.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:13 AM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Thanks again..

KS