HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,333 Posts
Discussion
It's a WenMac! It Really Flies!

(what it says on the box).

WenMac P-39 (1963 Vintage) (2 min 13 sec)

Early model Wen Mac P-39 (rubber tires, fairings on landing gear wires, cover on bottom of wing, no pilot eject). Initially flown with original Wen Mac Mk III .049 (with "V" on crankcase) and found to be lacking in power (it would fly, but barely).

Engine upgraded to late Wen Mac Mk XIII Thunderbolt engine. Pull on lines is quite good.

I would guess this is the first time it has flown in about 49 years.

Please excuse the bouncy landing!
(I am still out of practice!).
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Turning two second laps for two minutes... I can understand the bouncy landing. You must have had what, about 20 or 25 foot lines?
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,333 Posts
15 foot lines (Wen Mac's recommendation).

This one could easily go out to 20 feet, I think.

I am hoping that when I get the .40 sized Smoothie, I will not get dizzy so easily, anymore.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm going flying!
Colchester IL
Joined Oct 2009
145 Posts
You will love the smoothie. It will be a walk in the park compared to your P-39. I have one identical to yours hanging in my shop I've thought about flying. I think I'll let it hang. After watching yours I'd be on the ground.
rcflyer-rick is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer-rick
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
15 foot lines (Wen Mac's recommendation).

This one could easily go out to 20 feet, I think.

I am hoping that when I get the .40 sized Smoothie, I will not get dizzy so easily, anymore.
With the Smoothie, you can stop turning and do loops and figure 8s while you recover if you get dizzy. It'll seem slow on the 60' lines, you probably won't get dizzy.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Practicing standing and turning circles will over come dizzyness. And, you can't crash your plane.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,333 Posts
Tigreflyer,

I agree sir!

I did lots of that before I started flying again (the neighbors, I am sure, think I am nuts). I could only make it a few turns, before. It helped when I first flew the airplane, as I would have fallen over immediately had I not done so.

It just seems harder to get over the dizziness thing at 55 than it was at 13, for some reason (I did remember not to bend over to set the handle down, though).

RknRusty,

Thank you.

The Smoothie arrived late this afternoon. It looks very nice so far. I hope I will be able to fly it.

I feel like I am re-learning everything. The guys at Whittier are helping me with lots of information and advice. I did not know what a uniflow tank was, about correct mixture on a large airplane, etc. I still have much to learn.

42, by the way!
Last edited by Ah Clem; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Practicing standing and turning circles will over come dizzyness. And, you can't crash your plane.
It's real simple: You just stand out in your back yard and whirl around in a circle as fast as you can until you keel over on your face into the nearest flower bed and vomit like a sick dog. Once you get past that point, anything C/L is EASY...
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
The funny thing is, I can turn circles without getting dizzy, but when I flip over and fly inverted and in the other direction, it's like I've never flown before. Instant dizziness. That inner ear has to be trained in both directions.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
The funny thing is, I can turn circles without getting dizzy, but when I flip over and fly inverted and in the other direction, it's like I've never flown before. Instant dizziness. That inner ear has to be trained in both directions.
After 50 years of flying combat, when I go inverted for more than about 6 laps, watching the plane, I cant hardly stand up. I have to fly eyes off inverted to keep from getting dizzy.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
It's because the fluid in your inner ear is traveling in one direction and suddenly you just reversed it's course.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Bigiron
Wichita KS
Joined Oct 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
After 50 years of flying combat, when I go inverted for more than about 6 laps, watching the plane, I cant hardly stand up. I have to fly eyes off inverted to keep from getting dizzy.
Same here!! Also after laying off over the winter months, it takes a few flights to "catch up".

Bigiron
Bigiron is offline Find More Posts by Bigiron
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
The video brings back great memories. I got one of those in the early 60's with 3 books of S&H Green Stamps. Never did much more than level flight with a few up and down zooms. It fired spring loaded rockets via a 3rd line although it seldom worked right.
Ezra1965 is offline Find More Posts by Ezra1965
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I was thrilled the first time I finished a tank full and landed safely with my TD4. I remember it still.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,333 Posts
I finally acquired a TD3, but still have not managed to obtain a TD4.

How did it fly, by the way?