Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
Discussion
Dh 9116

Howdy people. A snowy day here in Boston.

So, after quite a lot of research I have ordered the DH 9116 off amazon. The price was rest $68 (free shipping) and Its a step up from my last experiences. (micro and a three channel). I still am very new to the hobby because with my earlier experiences I never really did any research, but just flew away, into the trees. So, Now I'll go over my interests. #1 is just to learn to fly RC's. #2 is to get some great ariel shots. I know most of this has already been discussed. But I just can't find it. BTW I do all my online shopping off amazon just because I have respect and trust for them.

Questions
1) I keep hearing about how the included battery is terrible. Should i consider getting a new one? even before my heli arrives.

2) This is my big question. What is the range like with this helicopter. Im hearing 100m... Is that realistic? could it be improved? (what happens if it goes out of range, also is there a way to tell if its getting close?) I don't want it to fly away to mexico!

3) I really want to get some nice arial shots/videos of the boston area. (don't worry Im far enough away and will fly over a big EMPTY field). I have a kodak zi8 (138Grams) Which i would love to attach to it, but i believe its probably like 50grams too heavy. I was trying to make it lighter, but it doesn't seem ilke it would work. Whats the best recording device? (a live stream would be awesome, but I'm not millionaire.)

Thank you in advance, I hope not to get slammed too much from the experienced people...

Jim
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
I just realized that there is an official DH 9116 thread, so i guess ill move this over there, But if anyone wants to answer this here, feel free.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:04 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
You are probably going to have to move up to something more advanced to hang any sort of serious camera gear from. A little key chain cam is probably fine though. Anyway, the DH9116 range is beyond what you can practically utilize.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
right right, but are there any recommendations? and what do you mean by utilize?
Last edited by jimmy boo; Dec 01, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:27 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,768 Posts
He means that the 9116 is too small to carry much of anything.

Most spend time trying to make them lighter, as they fly better with less load.
There are designed right at electrical and mechanical limits.

For pictures and video, I would recommend an MJX-F45. They even include
a camera on some versions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-MJ...item337cd1cc95

It's almost twice as much, but a better design, and more reliable. Parts have to come from
overseas though.

As far as the range on the 9116, it says 100M, but it is much farther. Pretty much as far as you can
see it, and still maintain directional control.
I looked up the specs for the actual radio chipset, an AMICCOM A7105 2.4GHz system.
The developer kit specifies 100M, and this is probably where they pulled the figure from.
(Suggested uses by the developers include wireless keyboards and mice )
But in reality, the range is much further. I suspect the amplifier and antenna circuitry has been modified
by Double Horse engineers to increase the range.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 01, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
Thank you for all the great info. I personally feel that 100m would be my max, It would take a lot of experience to go much higher. Maybe If i get really good, ill consider pressing it to the edge of the range.

Sadly, I have already ordered the DH 9116 so theres no going back. But, I still am looking for a reliable keychain camera. Or if there is some crazy way to decrease the weight of my kodak zi8.

Idk so far, all other responses will also be much appreciated.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
This is a case where you probably should have asked before you ordered.
I would have suggested one of the small quads.

This is my old keychain cam on an FP. It's the 2010 version of the camera - they have improved since, but I think even the old camera took pretty good quality video for 10 bucks. I never could get rid of the vibration and this vid is actually the best. There's only so much you can do on an FP to cut down on vibration.
The camera is pointed down too much, but gives you some idea of what to expect - and it's worth watching just to hear that guy play DeBusey on a guitar.

Edit - my brother and I did a range check on the walkera 2401 10 mw transmitter. It went into what I assume is an undocumented failsafe at about 250'. Both of us would have crashed because of visual problems long before it got that far away.

in flight video on falcon 40 (5 min 46 sec)
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,768 Posts
9116 Camera

It can be done, as this guy shows

Double Horse 9116 W/ Video (Vermont) (4 min 35 sec)

There is another video where a guy takes his up almost 1000 feet,
and you can see it start to glitch around half way up.

As long as you don't have interference, you can expect similar range.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
I know I should have asked first. Sadly I had no clue that this forum existed. Anyway, the last video shows it all, but the question is, how do i do it... Im prepared to make some mods. The best one I know of right now is to take out the LED lights which just waste weight and battery. Im still thinking though
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Aside from what has been mentioned about "range being more than you can practically utilize", I also meant the DH9116 has little movement authority or speed and air currents can be a lot different 200 feet away or up, from where you are standing. If you don't want it to be carried away, you probably should keep it pretty close, or be damn sure of the air currents. This is a $70 toy, after all.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,768 Posts
If you get a "good" one, they do handle abuse quite well.
Check this guy out thrashing a DH9100 (same airframe and motors).

Double Horse DH 9100 Single Speed Crash Test Flug Test von Gobelus.de (7 min 6 sec)

FYI, using the throttle to set itself upright is the fastest way to strip a gear
or cook your electronics. This guy is selling a product, which explains the abuse.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 01, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
Exactly, Exactly. I know it is very tough to get these guys up to say 100m, but I believe i can be done. I would obviously wait for the perfect day to send it up. I.e. no wind, no storms in the area. But I still want to get a camera onto it and send it way high!!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
I know I should have asked first. Sadly I had no clue that this forum existed. Anyway, the last video shows it all, but the question is, how do i do it... Im prepared to make some mods. The best one I know of right now is to take out the LED lights which just waste weight and battery. Im still thinking though
All of the mods to make it lighter and better are in the 9116 monster thread.

First to go on mine were the decorative bars. They float freely in the mounts, and
offer nothing more than dead weight and more area to snag when flying low.
They truly are "decorative" and if anything make the heli less crash resistant,
as there is more kinetic energy to dissipate during a crash.

As far as the LED's, many do this. But after I got good at piloting this craft, night flying
was far more fun. LED's on average draw around 0.030 amps, which is insignificant
in comparison to the motors (over 5 amps).
The weight savings could be worth it, I have not weighed the LED's, wiring, and plugs.

Current draw on high-brightness LED's can be much higher, but the ones on the 9116
I doubt draw more than 0.050 amps each.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
ok Ive been checking out the monster thread all day, but its like 209 pages!!! I've tried command F on like 20 pages but then just gave up. Do you know what page some of the most relevant info is at?

BTW, HOW THE HECK DID THAT GUY GET IT TO 1000FT?

Also thanks to all of you guys for all the help!!!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,768 Posts
Search keywords such as "mod", "lighter", "weight" and such
using CTRL + F.

I burned up half a day reading them
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights