HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Discussion
Birthday money! What to buy

So, I am looking for a new toy. I want something RC, around 5 to 7 hundred dollars. Been thinking of the AR Drone, the new version seems to be quite improved. I had one of the "old" ones and sold it. Or a new plane, I already have a Crack Pitts Biplane and a Polaris. Maybe a quad/multi rotor? FPV setup for something I already have. What would you get???
I have at present the two planes I mentioned, Two electric boats, and a Traxxas "super" Summit.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
I bought my dad the new AR drone , I'm a fan.

pick up a BNF T-28 and a few spare batteries,, save the rest.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
If I had some money to blow, the first things on my list would be some of this, one of these, this, and a couple 3S 1800mAh 45C+ packs for my next-gen Slipso build (couple bucks in balsa, covering, and fiberglass).

After that I'd go for a Blade Nano CPX along with a brushless setup for it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
I bought my dad the new AR drone , I'm a fan.

pick up a BNF T-28 and a few spare batteries,, save the rest.
That looks like a very nice plane, you have one? Are you talking the micro one? One thing I hated about the Drone was that an iPhone or iPad is near impossible to see in full daylight. But I do love the new "intuitive" mode of flying.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That looks like a very nice plane, you have one? Are you talking the micro one? One thing I hated about the Drone was that an iPhone or iPad is near impossible to see in full daylight. But I do love the new "intuitive" mode of flying.
My dad has has multiple back surgeries and can't use a real radio, that's why I picked it up for him.

I have both , the micro and the T-28D , I also have the FMS 1400mm T-28
U could say I'm an addict. If u have flown before you can't beat it, lots of power & parts are everywhere if you crash it. ParkZone hit it out of the park with it. has my vote for plane of the year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
Quote:
If u have flown before you can't beat it, lots of power & parts are everywhere if you crash it.
I had to laugh when I read that

Quote:
ParkZone hit it out of the park with it. It has my vote for plane of the year.
The Trojan has been around for a few years now, so I doubt if it's eligible for "Plane of the Year".
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
Do you already have a good radio? It's probably the best investment in this hobby imho.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:56 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I have a Futaba 6ex. Would like to maybe get a Spektrum as well though, because of all the models that come with that type of setup. If I did get a Spektrum I would probably go with the 8 channel.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
The Trojan has been around for a few years now, so I doubt if it's eligible for "Plane of the Year".
true,, i've put a solid year on mine with countless flights , in my mind its plane of the year.. It's the perfect step up from a trainer..

I also agree with Stone ,, a good radio will go along way or a sweet battery charger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely a good battery charger too! When I finally decide that it's time to upgrade I'm going to purchase one that can charge multiple packs at the same time and have the umph to do better than a 1c charge rate on the 3s and 4s packs that I use or will upgrade to.

As far as radios go, yeah, if you're past your first radio I would recommend upgrading to a 7 or 8 channel.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:32 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I have a Futaba 6ex. Would like to maybe get a Spektrum as well though, because of all the models that come with that type of setup. If I did get a Spektrum I would probably go with the 8 channel.
+1
a good Tx means a lot to the RC guy
regards
Sam
8066038160_cecc013544
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Hey, thanks!!!