HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Discussion
Prop Balancer for High Performance

Just curious as to what guys are using to balance small props for your high performance machines. I find that the typical ones you see at the hobby shop aren't up to the job of balancing 4" props because the spindles themselves come unbalanced from the factory on these balancers and that's no good as far as I'm concerned. If you check them without a prop on them...you'll see what i mean. I'm speaking of the magnetic one that I use, alright for larger props though.
So what are you guys doing?
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:04 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
its tuff, if you have a few balancers that are good, you can compare them, and maybee get the same result, but in the end it all depends on how everything matches together anyway, the rotor/propp/nut/spinner/ and so on...

I have spend time balancing a 4.7x4.7 prop to perfection, but in the end the rotor in the motor was a bit off, which you cant do anything about, so wasted time..

My conslusion with these small props is, balance them as good as you get, and have at least 4-5 of them ready, then just try them and spin them up, if it vibrates, just turn them like 45 degrees angle till it gets better, or change prop and do the same again..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
Topflite powerpoint mag balancer, works shweet as. 4.1x4.1 at 50k smooth as silk.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Topflite powerpoint mag balancer, works shweet as. 4.1x4.1 at 50k smooth as silk.
Thats the one I have, and I'm not impressed with the unbalanced spindle you get with it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
mines fine, maybe your ones bent?
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
That Top Flite rod is soft for better magnetic properties and very easy to bend. I bought one last week and tested the cones. They stay put where ever I place them. I tried to find a position they wouldn't stay in and couldn't. Unless I bend it trying to press it into a prop hub, I see no reason it should change. But it does come with a parts list. And the instructions said, for precision light props, to balance the cones and polish the rod tip and the magnets.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Not bent, that's one of the first things one would tend to check I would think, so its got to be the plastic cones.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Thats the one I have, and I'm not impressed with the unbalanced spindle you get with it.
I spun just the shaft. It seemed to rock and stop in the same position. I marked it with a Sharpie on the top. Keeping the mark on top, I can get them (props) silky smooth. I think it's more where the point on the end is not 100% centered. You could attempt re shaping the tip.

The vender sent me a new shaft....same thing.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,008 Posts
I had issues with the OEM metal shaft and plastic cones so I modified mine to accept one of these hand balancers and drilled through-holes in one of the bases of the balancer stands to be able to slide the stands closer together (closing the gap). This has worked wonders on balancing small props and the hand balancer apparatus has super sharp, pointy ends and is balanced well.

Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I had issues with the OEM metal shaft and plastic cones so I modified mine to accept one of these hand balancers and drilled through-holes in one of the bases of the balancer stands to be able to slide the stands closer together (closing the gap). This has worked wonders on balancing small props and the hand balancer apparatus has super sharp, pointy ends and is balanced well.

I have one of those hand spindles kickin around, that's a good idea to try it.
Thanks for the idea.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:52 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
remember, the lighter the balancer is, the better for smaller props, the ideal balancer would be a hard shaft like 1mm, short, with light cones from hard plastic..

Turning a greater mass is not a good idea for a slightly unbalanced small prop.
Even if the heavy balanced shaft/cones are perfect balanced, it is way better to have a lighter one with maybee 1/6th the mass of the heavy one, then its possible for the prop to turn it if its just slightly unbalanced..

try open o steeldoor compared to a light wood one..
takes much more momentum to make the steel one move..
Last edited by sebbe; Mar 30, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
remember, the lighter the balancer is, the better for smaller props, the ideal balancer would be a hard shaft like 1mm, short, with light cones from hard plastic..

Turning a greater mass is not a good idea for a slightly unbalanced small prop.
Even if the heavy balanced shaft/cones are perfect balanced, it is way better to have a lighter one with maybee 1/6th the mass of the heavy one, then its possible for the prop to turn it if its just slightly unbalanced..

try open o steeldoor compared to a light wood one..
takes much more momentum to make the steel one move..

Those are some very good points.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,008 Posts
My hand balancer weighs 1.5g less than the stock shaft and plastic cones so fear not.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
TES
Tom Erik
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
I suggest you try the same method we uses on tailrotors on helicopters. Use your Dubro-balancing kit, but let the balancing shaft rotate on two ice-cubes! This gives almost no friction:
TES is offline Find More Posts by TES
Last edited by TES; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:08 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
TES, lookes interesting, not sure it would be ok for a small 4.1x4.1 prop..

I forgot to say, when balancing props, ALWAYS balance in both X and Y axis..