HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Photo mode

When i can view what quality of photos make this #11 device version? interesting non video screens.

Please do some photos in indoor and outdoor samples in photo mode.

Thanks
alivestone is offline Find More Posts by alivestone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Photos

Here you go.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Ordered mine. Can't wait.

Tom Frank, any luck with removing the 20 minute limit?
anemene is offline Find More Posts by anemene
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:46 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anemene View Post
Ordered mine. Can't wait.

Tom Frank, any luck with removing the 20 minute limit?
Not yet. I was told they could do it if there was enough demand. They seem to feel 20 min. stop/save function is preferred by most users. I'm not one of them as long as I have plenty of battery life, and now that the external "emergency charger" is available, the recording time can be boosted to about 5 hours +- an hour with a single 2000 mAh AA cell.

The more people that ask for this, the better then chances of a new firmware for this, but i'd want to still be able to keep the date stamp turned off along with it.

I'll ask My Camera Guy one more time.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:53 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Not yet. I was told they could do it if there was enough demand. They seem to feel 20 min. stop/save function is preferred by most users. I'm not one of them as long as I have plenty of battery life, and now that the external "emergency charger" is available, the recording time can be boosted to about 5 hours +- an hour with a single 2000 mAh AA cell.

The more people that ask for this, the better then chances of a new firmware for this, but i'd want to still be able to keep the date stamp turned off along with it.

I'll ask My Camera Guy one more time.
Hi Tom,

I would prefer no save and continue function so long as the camera can reliably save the file when a low battery is detected.

As for the recording time on a single AA cell; Unless you have determined it yourself I would expect the up time to be much less than that. These things can be hopelessly inefficient as the voltage is stepped up in the emergency charger and stepped down in the camera charge circuit. I would not be too surprised if it was only about 60 to 90 mins. I hope I'm wrong!

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:16 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Yes, I think the same. Assume you take a 2000 mAh AA battery at 1.3 V or so. Needs to be stepped up 4x to get 5V. So it would need 4x the current. So you end up with an equivalent 500 mAh 5 V battery, IF conversion is at 100% efficiency... Then it needs to go through the charger circuit (I assume it charges the internal battery, like the car adaptor). So in the end, so I would be curious to see if 5 hrs recording time is really achieveable...

But for sure it will be longer than standard .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:32 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,976 Posts
Tom.
There is a problem with the 'normal' FAT32 format used on Flash cards - a limit of 4 gigabyte file size.
the 20min save and re-open yealds a file less than 2 Gigabytes long, & Looking at the numbers, that is probably a safe value, as 2gig is the max if the 32bit number used to store file length is used as a Signed Integer, 4 gig if it is used as an Unsigned Integer - a common GotchYa for programmers.
So - removing the 20min close/opennew restrictiion will rusult in a quiet phffut as the fileing system retires hurt, or at least garbages the file....
Mike
See link http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fat32...ize-limit.html

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:47 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,976 Posts
Earlier there was mention of a dedicated battery charger chip on the camera board.
There are such chips available, and implement the 'normal' Lipo charge cyclye :-
Charge at Constant Current ( usually 1C e.g. 240mA for a 240 mAh cell) until the cell voltage is 4.2vots.
Then charge at Constant Voltage until the current drops to (typically) less than 10% of the CC rate.
The battery is now fully charged.
This accounts for the brief red flash when a fully charged camera is plugged into USB - the charger chip goes through all phases very quickly.
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Yes, I think the same. Assume you take a 2000 mAh AA battery at 1.3 V or so. Needs to be stepped up 4x to get 5V. So it would need 4x the current. So you end up with an equivalent 500 mAh 5 V battery, IF conversion is at 100% efficiency... Then it needs to go through the charger circuit (I assume it charges the internal battery, like the car adaptor). So in the end, so I would be curious to see if 5 hrs recording time is really achieveable...

But for sure it will be longer than standard .
with a bit of a hackapendectomy you could fit at 5000 mAh NMIH cell e.g. http://www.overlander.co.uk/batterie...?prop_size=197
Which could give you apx 3 hrs...
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:25 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
On my #7, I just removed the battery and added a servo connector. Can run off the balance tap of a big lipo, or the original lipo externally

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6684
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,976 Posts
But the internal clock will stop without battery, so will have to be reset each time you power up.
Mike
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:45 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
But the internal clock will stop without battery, so will have to be reset each time you power up.
Mike
With the #7, you lose the date/time setting but not the user configured firmware. Since most of you remove the date/time, it's probably not a problem. But please don't brick your camera to prove me wrong!!

PS - disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting acts like a hard reset, the cam is ready to use
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The first page and the first few posts has some key, summary information. The rest are video samples, frustration people have with bricking the camera when they remove the time stamp or trying to re-focus for longer distances. And, of course, there are some really bright people who post about the electronics of the the little camera. Enjoy, and welcome to the thread.

The most helpful person is the thread starter, Tom Frank.

In addition, you should bookmark Chucklohr.com. It is a blog of all the different types of keychain cameras. I believe this HD version is # 11.
Thanks for the info (and saving me a lot of time reading through the whole thread).

Tom Frank sure did an excellent job keeping everything organized.

I plan on ordering one or two of these HD key chain cams in the next few weeks... can't wait!
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
617 Posts
Wow great thread. I stumbled upon this just in time, I was about the order the new FlycamoneHD cams but order one of these instead

Cheap enough to put on a floatplane and get a little crazy.

Wayne
Rad Racer is online now Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Racer View Post
Wow great thread. I stumbled upon this just in time, I was about the order the new FlycamoneHD cams but order one of these instead

Cheap enough to put on a floatplane and get a little crazy.

Wayne
Wayne,

It is just very practical solution to those who want to take on board videos. You can simply just use it or go through improving it by removing the time stamp or refocusing it. If you want simple, just charge it, slap on a piece of good velcro (fuzzy side on the camera and hook on the plane). To aid adhesion I use Uhu Creativ contact cement for foam to really bond the velcro.

Enjoy.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread