SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Naim,

From your picture I see two or even three possible issues:

1. The battery holder itself. It seems your is of low quality and might have contact issues.
2. Bad soldering job to the battery holder.
3. The red wire next to the connector - where I put the yellow arrow pointing at it.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:09 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naim View Post
Actually I'm talking about the battery pack wire. It is accidentally cut off when I'm trying to close the battery compartment with the cover (not the battery wrapper). Maybe as I fitted the battery pack and it cut off. And then I had to open the battery wrapper to make a new connection (soldering the wire back to the battery pack). Can I change the whole wire with another one? Does it will affect the Tx?
Yes you can change the wire but you will also need the connector. Once crimped, the terminals of the connector can not be reused (recrimped). You do not list your location in your profile so I can not give you advice on where to get the pigtail (connector with the wires already crimped).

I'd still recommend that you get rid of the battery holder and get a rechargeable pack, preferably made of Eneloops or other brand NiMH Low Self-Discharge cells.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Those battery holders are about $5 to $10 for the real JR product, I would suggest getting a new one. It will come with the correct plug on the end to just plug into your radio. Alternate would be to buy a rechargeable pack for that radio, a little more expensive but again it should come with the proper connector attached.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
After looking around it seems the AA holders for these older radios are pretty much gone. Next best bet would be to buy a generic holder from Mouser or Digikey and put the correct connector on the end.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Naim,

From your picture I see two or even three possible issues:

1. The battery holder itself. It seems your is of low quality and might have contact issues.
2. Bad soldering job to the battery holder.
3. The red wire next to the connector - where I put the yellow arrow pointing at it.
what do you mean by no. 3 issue? it is in correct position right?
naim is offline Find More Posts by naim
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Yes you can change the wire but you will also need the connector. Once crimped, the terminals of the connector can not be reused (recrimped). You do not list your location in your profile so I can not give you advice on where to get the pigtail (connector with the wires already crimped).

I'd still recommend that you get rid of the battery holder and get a rechargeable pack, preferably made of Eneloops or other brand NiMH Low Self-Discharge cells.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, the connector is the problem if i change the wire. I dont know how to find it in Malaysia as the tx is very old one. Peoples now moved on 2.4ghz transmitter. I think that I should do that too but I'll keep this Quattro. =)
Again, thanks everyone. I'll try to fix it.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
After looking around it seems the AA holders for these older radios are pretty much gone. Next best bet would be to buy a generic holder from Mouser or Digikey and put the correct connector on the end.
I got bad solder and it melt my battery pack. So bad.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Quote:
what do you mean by no. 3 issue? it is in correct position right?
On your picture the red wire seems damaged approximately 5 mm from the plug - where the yellow arrow points.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Yes, the connector is the problem if i change the wire. I dont know how to find it in Malaysia as the tx is very old one. Peoples now moved on 2.4ghz transmitter. I think that I should do that too but I'll keep this Quattro. =)
Again, thanks everyone. I'll try to fix it.
That connector is more popular than you may think - every old and current JR and Spektrum radio uses it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
There are two kinds of JR connector: old black and newer white.

Just looking at the fuse isn't good enough. It needs to be replaced or at least tested with an ohmmeter.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
I'll try to fix it. Thanks guys for the advice.