HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which rules do you believe should be modified? Post how and why.
1. An FPV-equipped model must be flown by two AMA members... Change. 23 82.14%
2. The operational range of the model is limited to... Change. 18 64.29%
3. The flight path of model operations shall be limited to... Change. 13 46.43%
4. The model weight and speed shall be limited to... Change. 14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:50 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,607 Posts
While I am still worried about what the FAA may do in enforcing rules against beyond VLOS flying, I am encouraged that attitudes toward FPV in the broader model aviation community do appear to be gradually changing for the better. For example, a year ago when I was living in Virginia Beach, I flew with a group of regular RC flyers who had a sort of informal club that met on Saturdays to fly at a local elementary school. When I first started doing FPV they were helpful and encouraging, but when they saw I was intent on pushing my limits and flying beyond line of sight they grew increasingly uncomfortable. Then after I had a couple bad crashes fairly close together due to faulty equipment, they decided I was a menace to society and basically ran me out of the group. At the time, they thought that any BLOS FPV was inherently dangerous and called me stubborn and unteachable for insisting that it could be done safely. A year later, almost all of them are regularly flying BLOS FPV themselves.

Looking back I could have handled things a lot better with them and I think there was a major element of personality conflict involved. I'll also freely admit now that I was pushing too fast and should have taken a more gradual approach to expanding my limits, taking time to thoroughly test my equipment and make sure it was reliable before flying long distances in places where I could be a risk to others. I made a lot of mistakes and I know that, but they were mistakes that any new FPVer could make; and they are ultimately solved by experience and guidance from other FPVers who respect what you are trying to do and are willing to help you see what you're doing wrong rather than just criticizing everything you do. Ironically, the other flyers back there are now pushing their boundaries and making some of the same mistakes I did (one of them recently crashed right near where I crashed one time).

So while I wish I had handled things better with those people and they probably still think I'm a nutcase, I am encouraged to see even people as turned off to FPV as they were now doing it themselves a year later. Even the most closed to FPV can have a change of heart once they have the chance to experience it for themselves.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:48 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk View Post
Abel,
I agree it is a well written and easy to understand document and thank you bmschulman for posting it. I would point out that one of the original purposes of the subject petition of the original post was to "Eliminate or relax the visual line-of-site restriction". If anything, those restrictions appear to have been tightened with well founded reasoning as to why.

Regards
Frank
Frank,

There is little to lose by asking for more than one expects to get, but rarely is more granted than asked for. I think OP understands that.

Documenting the well founded reasoning, and I think the committee wisely did so, leaves open the opportunity for removing restrictions when and if it can be demonstrated that risks perceived as requiring them can be/have been mitigated. Much better situation than facing rules that exist for arcane reasons ala "because Mommy says so."

Abel
abel pranger is offline Find More Posts by abel pranger
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:08 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
I think the FPV community should be more afraid of ignorant local government than worrying about AMA not supporting their chosen hobby segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ygoJoVk_qSo

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...alation-grows/
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I think the FPV community should be more afraid of ignorant local government than worrying about AMA not supporting their chosen hobby segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ygoJoVk_qSo

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...alation-grows/
You got a point but it isn't only the FPV guys that have that problem with ignoramuses...they are everywhere there is any position of authority to aspire to...its what ignoramuses do...and what they do best! They feed on apathy and stupidity and are usually quite fat!
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
Snorts updraft recklessly
United States, WA, La Center
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
I have got to stop spending time reading through 6 month threads; my wife is starting to wonder what I'm up to....

but, several days ago I thought I had reasonable knowledge of the issues surrounding FPV. The common sense survey theme of this thread, and the articulate, provocative perspectives presented respectfully throughout, has served to broaden that knowledge base (and FPV interest overall) exponentially. My compliments, on an exemplary conversation.

Now to click on the survey....
Youngbird is offline Find More Posts by Youngbird
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:42 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Some of the most interesting uses for FPV have yet to be filmed and displayed, it will be interesting to see how things play out.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:22 AM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbird View Post
I have got to stop spending time reading through 6 month threads; my wife is starting to wonder what I'm up to....

but, several days ago I thought I had reasonable knowledge of the issues surrounding FPV. The common sense survey theme of this thread, and the articulate, provocative perspectives presented respectfully throughout, has served to broaden that knowledge base (and FPV interest overall) exponentially. My compliments, on an exemplary conversation.

Now to click on the survey....
Youngbird,
Thank you for the kind words on the thread. For another point of view check out the pilot comments in the thread 'Drones: More Questions Than Answers' below;

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A...omments=1#read

This is not just an AMA issue. The core questions that needs answering is;

"When does a sophisticated RC model become a UAV? And what determines that? Is it altitude? Speed? Autonomy? Sensors? Some combination of these? And if so, what combination? Will you need a license to operate it? How about a flight plan? Can anyone fly these things anywhere?"

I think the AMA has answered some of those questions with it's newest update to First Person View (FPV) Operations 550.pdf

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 AM
AMA 951 since 1958
USA, FL, Newberry
Joined Nov 2000
1,420 Posts
[QUOTE=littlecrankshaft;24132391]You got a point but it isn't only the FPV guys that have that problem with ignoramuses...they are everywhere there is any position of authority to aspire to...its what ignoramuses do...and what they do best! They feed on apathy and stupidity and are usually quite fat!

How true.
Red Scholefield is offline Find More Posts by Red Scholefield
Last edited by Red Scholefield; Feb 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Snorts updraft recklessly
United States, WA, La Center
Joined Jan 2007
61 Posts
Frank, thanks for pointing me to the eye-opening conversation about the bigger picture; I was stuck in the two dimensional low res screen of an FPV receiver, relatively clueless about some of the other stakeholders in the evolution of drone policy.

I agree the revised document is a good effort on trying to keep what we do in a responsible, safe-as-possible arena for it's continued protection in whatever happens in that bigger picture down the road. Good Job, AMA. Come to think of it, that's why I joined....
Youngbird is offline Find More Posts by Youngbird
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbird View Post
Frank, thanks for pointing me to the eye-opening conversation about the bigger picture; I was stuck in the two dimensional low res screen of an FPV receiver, relatively clueless about some of the other stakeholders in the evolution of drone policy.

I agree the revised document is a good effort on trying to keep what we do in a responsible, safe-as-possible arena for it's continued protection in whatever happens in that bigger picture down the road. Good Job, AMA. Come to think of it, that's why I joined....
As technology progresses it will allow FPV to be essentially zero threat to NAS... We just need to keep from killing it now with the endless rhetoric we are perpetuating.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft