Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
none of you watched beyond 12:00 then haha

this thing not only flies awesome, its also tough as hell. not a single breakage yet and i really don't treat her well. I like fast flying or going through obstacles and reguarly crash it full speed into things. the 9958 is tough too, but not as much.
I did watch to the end and saw all the high speed crashes. Yes, the V911 is super tough ... I've crashed plenty of times and have never broken anything. Only thing that does happen is the swash plate starts to separate some as discussed earlier, and the tail motor can wiggle out of it's holder some. Just been pushing them back in for now. Key is to not crash.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
If you do decide to glue this... be very careful. My V911 is currently out-of-commission as the result of glue gone wild

For sure take things apart 1st, this will give you a better idea where you might need to apply the glue and you will reduce the risk of getting glue in the wrong places... speaking from experience.
Thanks for the tips!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine 50 View Post
Is this a fully stock heli?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Is this a fully stock heli?
Hard to tell if it is stock, probably is since there's no mention about mods.

Here's a nice video showing the V911 turned loose indoors (V911 flight is the 2nd heli shown, about the 2:59 mark)

Xieda 9958 & WL Toys v911 (12 min 23 sec)

Done by Mulder (here's the original link, less you think I can do this)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1340
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
44 Posts
Well, the loose swash plate is definitely an issue on my chopper. But the non-working servo action is what's making it unflyable.

It's weird: If I hold the controller in one hand and chopper in the other and watch the chopper as I move the control stick, sometimes straight forward works, sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes straight backward works, sometimes it doesn't. If I turn the control stick in a circle, everything seems to work.

Ugh. I didn't want to have to return this.
Flybynyte is offline Find More Posts by Flybynyte
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
Easy mod to get better precision:

The highlighted collar is meant to be situated so that the screw lines up with a hole in the shaft... but the hole is drilled too high and allows the shaft to move up and down when the servos push up and down on the swashplate. I've found it's enough to snug the screw up against the shaft at a lower position even though there is no hole there.

adjangs is offline Find More Posts by adjangs
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynyte View Post
And sometimes straight backward works, sometimes it doesn't. If I turn the control stick in a circle, everything seems to work.
Now you're making me wonder if there's a loose pot in your transmitter.. if circles consistently work that's weird and hard to explain.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjangs View Post

The highlighted collar is meant to be situated so that the screw lines up with a hole in the shaft... but the hole is drilled too high and allows the shaft to move up and down when the servos push up and down on the swashplate. I've found it's enough to snug the screw up against the shaft at a lower position even though there is no hole there.

My V911 has almost no axial play in the main shaft. If I pull up and down on the main shaft in the axial direction, I can feel just a hair (maybe 0.003") of freeplay.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
As a response to you idea in post # 1365.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1365

After looking closely at the collar with the 4 balls, and how it sits inside the inner race of the swap plate bearing, it looks like it would be easier to glue it in place when it's assembled. If you look at the bottom side of the swash plate bearing, you can see the lip of the collar protruding slightly beyond the inner bearing race.

I'm thinking that if you pulled the collar out of the race about 1/2 way, then put a very THIN layer of glue on the inner race diameter, then push the collar back in to fully seat, you would have a nice thin layer of glue around the interface between the collar OD and the race ID. There might be a hair of excess glue that pushes out on the bottom side lip, but if used sparingly it shouldn't get anywhere near the ball bearings in the bearing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
Here's a photo that may illustrate the technique that was recommended to me (after the fact). This is what I would try 1st and not actually try and glue the bottom to the bearing.

You are basically making the bottom piece (the piece that fits inside the bearing) a little larger, to insure a tighter fit.

Click Photo to enlarge
The real question is, why is this occuring on the v911? This was an issue with the mSR. E-Flite even includes a "calibration" tool that helps to reseat the swashplate. Kind of a lame solution IMHO.

The Solo Pro never has this problem. So why does the v911 swashplate, which is a clone of the Solo Pro, subjected to this problem? Odd.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine 50 View Post
I am going to compliment the person doing the recording instead. Well done anticipating and following your helicopter without too much camera shake or unnecessary operator induced motion.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:13 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjangs View Post

Usually, you can take out this play by pushing the main gear up and collar down. So basically push them towards each other. But leave a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of play so that the shaft can rotate freely. Like the poster above said. 0.003mm of play. LOL
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
have been to the park. there was nearly no wind but still enough to give the v911 a hard time. some pics:
<snip>
its quite hard to focus on this tiny thing when it zips through the air.
Wow, nice photos Mulder! Did you have Skully near-bye taking the candid shots?
What camera did you use, and what focal setting? nice DOF... didn't know you could snap those in action! I only have a Fuji HS10 Digicam, I doubt if it's as capable as your camera.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Usually, you can take out this play by pushing the main gear up and collar down. So basically push them towards each other. But leave a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of play so that the shaft can rotate freely.
Exactly. My 2 had much too much play when the screw was seated in its intended hole: about 3mm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
The loose swashplate isn't a problem on mine. 40 flights and as many crashes and I only had to snug it up once. Even then it wasn't all the way separated.