HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
I use those exact same esc on 3 of my naza builds and have had no trouble with them. as a matter of fact they worked a lot better than the original dji opto in responce and power. I would not use the dji opto esc ever again after seeing the diff in responce time between the 30a blue series and the dji opto.

what did dji say when you called there customer service? I am sure after all this trouble you have at least called them

usually a quad copter wont lift up until about half throttle and at half throttle all motors are spinning like they should correct?

and i cant tell from the video but the esc ports on the naza are pointing to the nose correct? and the led thingy is pluged in the rear in respect to your quad direction.
That's what I thought - others are using these exact ESC's with no problem.

No call to DJI yet, I'll call my dealer first, he's a good guy. Since this is my first multi-copter, I want to make sure it's not me (I have TRex 450's and other heli's and 3D airplanes, so lots of RC experience).

Yes the ESC ports are facing forward (away from camera) and the LED is plugged into the Naza, just above the receiver plugs, and I get the correct 4 green flashes, and it flashes yellow when in ATT mode and no flash when in Manual mode. The Naza Assistant is configured for Hexa Y (not Hex IY), thus forward is between the 2 arms. I put a piece of yellow tape around the rear arm. In the video, forward is away from the camera (tail towards me).

Does anybody know about the 1520us versus the 700us travel midpoint?

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
175 Posts
I tested the simonk flashed rctimer 30a esc. Tested all of them and they work fine. Set it up in my Quad controlled by NAZA FC. When i try to take off it just plunge into the air suddenly at 50% throttle( Does not take off when i slowly increase the throttle). The esc does not seems to have a throttle range that I can take off slowly. If i lower the throttle it just cuts early somehow and the craft will just free fall down. If I lower the motor idle speed to from the recommeded, the quad flies but does not stabilize.

The same Naza controller works fine with my Turnigy Plush 18A with the same motors.

Is there some issue with the firmware?
shadowless is offline Find More Posts by shadowless
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post

Derek
as far as i know these esc's have the higher operating range
allowing them to set a midpoint at 1520us like needed for the MC
it is the operating range of the esc is how i understand it. with a midpoint of 1520us your esc usually hase a range from 1000us(no throttle) to 2000us(full throttle)
i am sure someone will give the tech reasoning but this is how i understand it.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
I tested the simonk flashed rctimer 30a esc. Tested all of them and they work fine. Set it up in my Quad controlled by NAZA FC. When i try to take off it just plunge into the air suddenly at 50% throttle( Does not take off when i slowly increase the throttle). The esc does not seems to have a throttle range that I can take off slowly. If i lower the throttle it just cuts early somehow and the craft will just free fall down. If I lower the motor idle speed to from the recommeded, the quad flies but does not stabilize.

The same Naza controller works fine with my Turnigy Plush 18A with the same motors.

Is there some issue with the firmware?
did you calibrate the throttle range for each esc? (turn on Tx and place at full throttle. Plug in ecs to battery wait for tones to stop and one single tone to indicate full throttle range set. Then put to min throttle and wait for all beeps to stop. it should now be calibrated)
if that has been done it could possibly be fixed with the throttle curve.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
did you calibrate the throttle range for each esc? (turn on Tx and place at full throttle. Plug in ecs to battery wait for tones to stop and one single tone to indicate full throttle range set. Then put to min throttle and wait for all beeps to stop. it should now be calibrated)
if that has been done it could possibly be fixed with the throttle curve.
Did all that. Is anyone using these rctimer 30A esc with SimonK tgy firmware?

What should the throttle curve be? Doesn't make sense if it esc can't work right and need throttle curve to compensate.
shadowless is offline Find More Posts by shadowless
Last edited by shadowless; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazar View Post
Hi, Simon. How can i gert bs.hex file with latest changes to avoid sync loss with my AXI 2814/22?

Thanks
really dont uderstand how can i use this code, and dont understand if it hels me..

help pls, wanna fly on my new copter with axi
Mazar is offline Find More Posts by Mazar
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, FL
Joined Jan 2010
22 Posts
Problem: Motors stopping at 75%-100% throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
I'll try a different motor to see if it still does this and also try same motors with another flashed HK12A. No funny noises; motor just stops. Move throttle back to zero and it resets and runs again. No props were fitted during testing.
Hi Simon....
I think bs_nfet.hex can't/doesn't go into calibrate mode with the full throttle signal from the servo tester... (I flashed 3 more and got the same results).. I dont get the beep at full throttle when trying to calibrate.
If I cal @ 80% or so I get the cal beep like normal... but not @ 90 to 100%.
After the motor stops @ <FT, I can back the throttle back down to 80% and the motor runs normally again.... It seems that it's not comprehending the high throttle signal to cal or run.
Servo tester is the Turnigy..set @ 1520uS... Turnigy 760LV-HV Dual Pulse Width Selectable Servo Tester

Next...I suppose I'll connect the tester up to a FC and find out what pulse width it's putting out in the WiiConfig display....

Thank you.....

BG
BeerGoggles is offline Find More Posts by BeerGoggles
Last edited by BeerGoggles; Sep 11, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2010
11 Posts
One more ESC to the list. This is SAKER 30A SBEC, flashed and tested.
30A
Atmega
row pads
ext osc yes
FETs P/N
FW file kda.hex
rcjuampa is online now Find More Posts by rcjuampa
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought - others are using these exact ESC's with no problem.

No call to DJI yet, I'll call my dealer first, he's a good guy. Since this is my first multi-copter, I want to make sure it's not me (I have TRex 450's and other heli's and 3D airplanes, so lots of RC experience).

Yes the ESC ports are facing forward (away from camera) and the LED is plugged into the Naza, just above the receiver plugs, and I get the correct 4 green flashes, and it flashes yellow when in ATT mode and no flash when in Manual mode. The Naza Assistant is configured for Hexa Y (not Hex IY), thus forward is between the 2 arms. I put a piece of yellow tape around the rear arm. In the video, forward is away from the camera (tail towards me).

Derek
Derek I have a F550 and have tested with flashed Plush 30As
The motors starts in a strange way sometimes as yours, but it flies perfect as soon as it leaves the ground. Give it a chance to fly.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Unless you are using a modified build, the ESCs will default to 1520s (actually 1460s) "center". You can build the code with "UltraPWM" defined, and/or change the endpoints, and then it will work with 760s (or whatever) center point. It's possible to actually calibrate it either way, but the issue is that you cannot enter calibration mode unless the signal is higher than 1460s with the default settings. But once it's calibrated, it doesn't matter what the code settings are. I was using a servo tester last night with 760s mode, but I had to set UltraPWM mode to calibrate it. If you have any better ideas for allowing calibration for any input, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
Did all that. Is anyone using these rctimer 30A esc with SimonK tgy firmware?
Yes, many are. The issue is that you are probably calibrating it to a wider range than the Naza is putting out. I wish DJI would at least document the range they use, or actually add an ESC calibration mode. What battery, motor KV, and prop size are you using versus your AUW? It typically doesn't start so strong that it takes off, but if the Naza is jumping up to ~1200 or ~1300s and your ESCs are calibrated to start much lower than that, the duty cycle could be high enough.

The problem with the RCTimer and similar ESCs is that they have no external oscillators, so the actual range will vary between boards and batches, unless you calibrate it out. So, you _have_ to calibrate it, but you have to calibrate it to something that actually matches the flight board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
Hi Simon....
I think bs_nfet.hex can't/doesn't go into calibrate mode with the full throttle signal from the servo tester... (I flashed 3 more and got the same results).. I dont get the beep at full throttle when trying to calibrate.
If I cal @ 80% or so I get the cal beep like normal... but not @ 90 to 100%.
After the motor stops @ <FT, I can back the throttle back down to 80% and the motor runs normally again.... It seems that it's not comprehending the high throttle signal to cal or run.
Servo tester is the Turnigy..set @ 1520uS... Turnigy 760LV-HV Dual Pulse Width Selectable Servo Tester
Hello! I have the same servo tester and already had to extend the default upper range from 2200s to 2400s to be compatible with it. Maybe you have an even wider one that is going off the end of the valid input pulse range? The setting in the code is MAX_RC_PULS. Do you have a way you could measure the pulse length coming out of the servo tester, like a digital 'scope? If not, you could maybe build the code with higher MAX_RC_PULS and see if it helps.

In prior releases, I was hesitant to raise MAX_RC_PULS much, because the higher it is, the higher the chance that a failing connection (wire falling off or yanked out, leaving the pin floating high for a moment) will make the ESC go full-throttle. Recent changes should make this much safer, though, since it should time out within 128ms. However, it still seems silly to go much beyond 2400s...
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpb View Post
Hi, I'm using SimonK bs_nfet.hex (latest version) with F30A, for my multiwii-tricopter, it's perfect. But it's hotter a bit, and consume more 20-30% battery than the stock firmware. Does anybody see the same problem?
I haven't noticed this, no. I have reduced timing slump in newer versions that might help a bit. Are you comparing with the 16kHz PWM setting in the stock firmware? This is a mostly-hovering tricopter? I will compare old/new code and with stock.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
256 Posts
I flash 4 HK bs-12a last week and I also having problem to calibrate the esc. When calibrating the esc the esc beep ok and I can throttle normal and start ok. But if I cycle the Naza power the esc will not start like throttle not calibrated. After afew hours of trying. I giveup and went for dinner. And try calibrating after dinner again and this time it's ok and save the setting.
emadine is offline Find More Posts by emadine
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
vpb
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
I haven't noticed this, no. I have reduced timing slump in newer versions that might help a bit. Are you comparing with the 16kHz PWM setting in the stock firmware? This is a mostly-hovering tricopter? I will compare old/new code and with stock.
Oops, I compare the 16kHZ PWM F30A with previous Plush 30A. I flashed all the F30As right after I bought them.

The newer version with timing slump reduced, will I find that in the download sections? (the newest package is updated 3 months ago).

Thank Simon!
vpb is offline Find More Posts by vpb
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
11 Posts
Simon I just did a good measure of DJI ESC range with a digital scope for you.
When throttle is going up the motor starts at 1167us, when throttle is going down it stops at 1117us, there is some kind of hysteresis. Full throttle is achieved at 1908us.
I have calibrated a flashed ESC with my radio and then compared radio range and calibrated ESC range. I noticed there is about 70us of tolerance in each end point. So I have calibrated manually again with a range of 1050us to 1980us, to get an actual range of 1120us to 1910us to match DJI ESC.
Will test tomorrow with Naza and post results.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
F-20A back in stock... better be quick
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933