SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:06 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
new Wal-Mart RC plane - sky (not air) surfer...

Just saw a new (I think) RC plane at W-M, called a Sky Surfer (not the infamous Air Surfer). Its a single foam flying wing with two motors embedded in the wing; the props actually stick through slots in the wing. Has a two-channel, two stick "authentic looking" radio. And get this, its $18! Anyone tried this thing? Thinking of getting for my young son. He had his hands on my Moth's controls today, but he's not quite ready for a real plane (he's only six). Made by Turbo Tec of Hong Kong, couldn't find it on the web. It was in the front of the store past the checkout near the doors - they have a stack of stuff like telescopes, guitars, etc up there. There was also another odd looking plane with a canard and a pistol-grip control. It was closer to $50.
tnkenyon is offline Find More Posts by tnkenyon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:40 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Quote without comment

....... from November 1977 Model Aviation.

"Star of sunday air show was 5-year old Chip Hyde of Yuma, Arizona, who flew RC Ugly Stick unassisted except for advice from his proud dad. The crowd loved it. Chip has been flying RC for the past year."
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:25 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
Could this be the "Stealth" ?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Sep 01, 2003, 07:30 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
Nope - it looks like one of the wings of the air surfer, foam, boomerang-like, painted yellow with black "flames". Would be quite a deal if it actually works!
Old Sep 01, 2003, 10:29 AM
ProBro #1404
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Aug 2003
450 Posts
well, if you dont know if it flies or not, then buy it and test fly it (since its only 18 bucks). if it flies, great if it doesnt, make a new airframe for the equipment!!!
flying4fun is offline Find More Posts by flying4fun
Old Sep 10, 2003, 05:00 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
It is Wal-Mart. If it dosen't fly, return it..
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2003, 07:35 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I'll go tonite and try my hand at finding one. its 30 miles from here but need to go there soon anyway
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Sep 10, 2003, 07:57 PM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Be a good dad and buy your son that 1/3 scale extra 300!
Skysailor is offline Find More Posts by Skysailor
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:19 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
I saw this too, It looks like an air-surfer wing without a fuse. There is a post in here somwhere on how to do just that. I think he also made a 4 foot wingspan model for indoor flying.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:50 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2003
255 Posts
Yup, saw that. Trying to wait til my son can "afford it himself" or his birthday arrives next month rather than just buying one. If anyone trys it let me know. Of course, I may just follow Skysailor's suggestion and bequeath my Moth to Junior....

As I said, there is a second plane for about $50 that is a very odd design with a high-wing canard. Might also be interesting for a cheapie, different looking anyway. Neither appear on the website. Also saw that Estes/Cox sky rangers boomerang jet thing. Anyone know if that flys?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:16 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
Couldn't resist....

I just plunked down my $18 and got one. I am a sucker for flying wings of any description, and especially wingletless ones.

This is a 26" span, two-motor differential thrust flying wing. Weight is, I am guessing, 2 - 2.5 oz AUW. Thrust control is not proportional. You have forward, right, and left, and glide.

I first noticed that it is powered by a 3-cell Nimh battery (very small, probably about 200 mah max). I immediately thought LiPo mod! A single cell should do the trick.

I tried to fly the plane a few times. First the wind was up a bit, which is a no-no for any plane controlled with differential thrust control such as this one. It didn't really do too well. I think I finally got it trimmed out but it seemed underpowered. I was able to get about 5 seconds of flight.

After dark, I put the battery on the Triton to get a true peak charge. I doubt the included charger (just a jack on the back of the tx) does anything close to a full charge in the 5-minutes or so that it goes on a cycle. Plus, the battery probably wanted some cycling before giving peak performance.

I then played around with it in the front yard. It seemed a little better with no wind and a peak charge. I really didn't have room to adequately maneuver the plane. It remains to be seen if it can climb and turn with any authority. I put a 1s qualcom cell in it to see what would happen. Seemed a bit too heavy. A lipo of , say 700 mah or less would probably work well.

I'm modding some GWS 3x2 props to go on the plane as well, to see if they're any better than the stock ones. They will be cut down to about 2.5" or so.

I would say the plane has potential as an indoor flyer or early morning parkflyer. I'm hoping some other people get one and help me get mine flying good.

John
jms336 is offline Find More Posts by jms336
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:18 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
Underside. Canopy should hold a small lipo nicely.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:47 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
I love little planes like this.

I have a Stealth which I modified with a GWS receiver and 2 speed controllers with their BECs removed.

This would be an even better candidate.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:05 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
I'll get a chance to fly it early tomorrow before the wind is up. Should be fun. I'll try both a li-ion (provides about 1.7 amps and 3.8 volts = 6.5W and the stock batt provides about 3.4 volts and 1.4 amps = 4.8 W)

I also made some cut-down GWS props to try. Hopefully it won't be underpowered with some combination of batts and props.

John
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:04 PM
Deland FL
Joined Jan 2003
284 Posts
It flew this morning! Conditions were dead calm. The sky surfer flies nice and slow, probably about 6-8 mph.

It was controllable and I was pretty consistently able to fly it in a 100' diameter circle to a hand catch. Each charge is good for about 2-3 such circuits. The plane will only climb with a really good charge on the batt.

My suspicions about the included charger seem founded. After a charge from that, the Triton put in another 50 mah, about a quarter charge. This is critical since it really won't fly on less than optimal charge.

It wouldn't climb with a 830 li-ion cell. Oh, well, need something lighter that is good for 1.5 amps.

I got a chance to weigh it : 2.0 oz AUW. Batt is about 0.4 oz. All weights +/- 0.2 oz (cheap scale)

I think I'll get a better li-poly and see what it can do. Then the mods I 'm thinking of:

1. Stock electronics, but make it a pusher with driveshafts to the rear. Should help the flight performance, I think alot of the lift gets killed when the motors get switched on due to them being in the middle of the airfoil. Probably go to GWS props with this mod, possibly move motors outboard a bit for more turning control.

2. Upgrade to RFFS with a single IPS pusher (driveshaft). I've never seen a RFFS plane, so I don't know how to go about this. Elevon mixing, I guess.

Anyone else get a sky surfer yet? Only $18!!!

John