SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2003, 11:32 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Tiger Moth wood struts

Last night, it was too windy to fly, but I did anyway......you can guess where this is going. Anyhow, i was having fun playing with the wind, keeping the moth at a safe altitude to compensate for the downdrafts, but my battery started running out right when the gusts picked up, and I figured I'd better land with some reserve power. Cut to 1/2 power on approach, got above my 'runway' about 8' high, and the plan just STOPPED. It hung there, i gave full throttle, it hung for another second, then just DROPPED straight down to the ground in a level attitude and turned 180 degrees just before impact. I must say, it looked REALLY cool. Unfortunately, it actually broke the plastic on one cabane and one interplane strut in such a manner that I couldn't find a good way to reinforce it. So, using the plastic sheet thy're stamped from, I scratched out a set last night. They look something like the pic below. The butt joints on the cabanes are reinforced with a doubler with a lap joint to strengthen it. My father, who's TM is about as rigid as silly putty yet never breaks informs me that he thinks it will be too rigid. I don't know that I agree, but what do you guys think? I suppose I could get a new set of struts at the LHS, but I figured I've got nothing to lose trying this.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2003, 11:45 AM
FJR
Holly Springs, Georgia
Joined Jan 2003
192 Posts
Buzz,

My moth has balsa struts and flying wires and it is rigid. I've dorked mine a few times with little to no damage. I have had the down burst effect happen on occasion and it does look cool as long as you can keep flying.

FJ
FJR is offline Find More Posts by FJR
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:00 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Who says a TM can't fly in wind? The same thing happens at our field, when it so windy everything is grounded someone will put up a Tigermoth, which usually results in one or two more coming up to play. Besides being fun it's good practice.

Mine started out with thin cf rods on the leading and trailing edge of all four struts. The rigidity was fine for flying. But I am using sticks instead of screws to hold the inner struts and when removing the wing it was tough to get the rigid struts off the sticks without some flexibility somewhere, either the strut has to bend or the wing to strut joint. If you're using screws it wouldn't matter.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:14 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
BC-

Actually, before the fateful last flight, I just switched over to 3/32 steel rod and rubberbands for the cabane attachment. That's the part that worries me now. Instead of epoxy I may open up the bottle of probond and see if that leaves enough flex in the attachment to work well. The wind - I fly in a small pasture behind my house, on the north face of a slope, surrounded by trees. I'm sure you can imagine what kinda funky wind currents we get. I suppose it's what I get for being too lazy to drive the measly 10 mile to the nice open club field.
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:16 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
I suppose I should add that my TM now has full-span two-way stranded packing tape leading edges and an eps100 with a 9x7 3-blade prop on seven cells. So, when it drops to the ground, the impact involves a little more inertia than usual