SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
You are in good hands here, just prepare for some frustration. And get yourself a decent soldering iron.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
I rang both ur mobiles, ur home and ur voip!
Bugger again. I just had a sleep for a while. I am still slack with my mobiles and leave them in the car. Might get better with only one after I retire. I can not see any missed calls on my mobiles.

VOIP should have worked.

EDIT: Just checked all the phone numbers I emailed the other day and they are correct. My wife has been sitting next to the home and VOIP lines and they did not ring. (She is checking for a cheap flight to Hawaii but not much left for this year.)

Guess I'll be indisposed tomorrow night with retiring tomorrow.

Are you still up?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 12, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Yes! North Coast Hobby Center in Lismore
Ordered in the arvo, had it the next morning
Nice guys too...

+61 2 6621 3956

May only have 10c?? youll have to call
any idea how much... i am looking into head tracking and the obvious choice is futaba, my jr x2610 has got me 4km at 600m altitude with no gliches but i think that full immersion feeling will be worth at least 600 bucks... BTW i plan on using it with the 9ch corona syntheside receivers I LOVE EM 25 bucks and 4km range with only a dodgy antenna mod... I think i will be able to make 10km with a 4.04m antenna on it. So if anyone knows where i can get a second hand one or one in a package without paying for a receiver which is massively overpriced i would love to know.

btw i am looking into a fast agile based platform for fpv in my local park and i am finding it really hard to get my hands on multiplex gear (i.e. stryker) anyone have any localy (not to expensive) substitutes for some stunt flying... the stuff trappy is doing looks like enough challenge to keep me interested for another 6 months
nathan089 is offline Find More Posts by nathan089
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan089 View Post
any idea how much... i am looking into head tracking and the obvious choice is futaba, my jr x2610 has got me 4km at 600m altitude with no gliches but i think that full immersion feeling will be worth at least 600 bucks... BTW i plan on using it with the 9ch corona syntheside receivers I LOVE EM 25 bucks and 4km range with only a dodgy antenna mod... I think i will be able to make 10km with a 4.04m antenna on it. So if anyone knows where i can get a second hand one or one in a package without paying for a receiver which is massively overpriced i would love to know.
What receiver are you using to get 4KM with your x2610? And have you modded the x2610 at all?

I upgraded to the DX7, and still have the x2610 sitting in a box here. Now that I want to get into FPV, i'm thinking of pulling the x2610 out and giving it a go. Not happy with the receiver i've got (RS77S). I got a lot of gliches with that, even when flying only 50m away, so thinking of getting a corona one (RP6D1).
stergiopilus is offline Find More Posts by stergiopilus
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,216 Posts
Hey nathan,

These antenna extensions you mention, are they just extended lengths of the normal antenna wire on the receiver?

If so do you support it or let it dangle?

Do you extend the Tx aerial at all?
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stergiopilus View Post
What receiver are you using to get 4KM with your x2610? And have you modded the x2610 at all?

I upgraded to the DX7, and still have the x2610 sitting in a box here. Now that I want to get into FPV, i'm thinking of pulling the x2610 out and giving it a go. Not happy with the receiver i've got (RS77S). I got a lot of gliches with that, even when flying only 50m away, so thinking of getting a corona one (RP6D1).
hey

i am deffinately no expert on the topic but i will give you the info i believe is correct.

As with all frequencies there are corrosponding wave lengths. In the case of the 36mhz wave length there are 1.01m, 2.02m (1/4 wave length) and 4.04m (1/2 wave length)

once again i am not sure of the physics but by exactly matching the desired wave length you can dramaticaly increase the sensitivity of your receiver/range.

I generally let the antenna just dangle from the rear of my plane.

I am not 100% sure.. but i think IBCRAZY might be able to supply some more factuale info (he seems to be a bit of a guru at RF and antennas)

Having said all this i sincerely believe that by simply extending you rx antenna you will be remarkably impressed by the results.

a peice of warning however (this is third or fourth hand info) some rc RX;s have a "coil" built into the RX which is meant to compensate for the shorter RX antenna.. I have heard in some cases that this must be bypassed for the extension to work properly but in the case of the coronna 9ch i can deffinately vouch for the antenna mod.

I was previously acheiving 1.5 - 2 km and am now acheiving easily 4km without any gliches (my setup is a little too heavy and i do not have enough battery power to get any further safely) but i have often heard of reports of 10-15km with the antenna mod of 4.04m

as far as i know it does not matter the type of wire you use to extend you antenna, but i believe a safe way to be sure is to closely match the existing wire.

How can you loose ... it costs maybe $4 to buy cable and maybe 10 mins and a soldering iron to extend it.

I understand my explanation is a little unclear but i really hope i can save everyone some money and time as i have for myself.

Cheers

Nathan
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2010
88 Posts
Thanks for that explanation. I use a small helicopter (trex 450), so can't dangle the end out the back. I will give it a go with wrapping it to the end of the heli and back again.

How much warning (with glitches) do you get when you start to get out of range? Is it plenty of warning to turn around? I don't want the heli to fall out of the sky.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stergiopilus View Post
Thanks for that explanation. I use a small helicopter (trex 450), so can't dangle the end out the back. I will give it a go with wrapping it to the end of the heli and back again.

How much warning (with glitches) do you get when you start to get out of range? Is it plenty of warning to turn around? I don't want the heli to fall out of the sky.
I come from a heli background and what i have found is that heli's are HEAPS more senistiive to gliches. I think this might have to do the ccpm mixing. For Heli;s providing it is possible i have had the greatest succes with 2.4ghz.

With regard to planes however I have my camera on the rudder channel for panning... when i notice this starts to "twitch" i start to come home. If however you do experience severe dircetional changes i would try to return to home ASAP as you might be receiving interference from other flyers on the same channel.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2010
88 Posts
Ok, may give it a go with the 2.4GHz system first (DX7 and AR7000). I'll have to find somewhere to do a decent ground range check first. Thanks alot for your advice!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:34 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
I just got a ASW28 EPO Electric RTF Plug-n-Play Glider from hobbyking that I ordered 4pm last Sunday. Not bad delivery time but was EMS postage.

Just thought I would get a RTF one while putting together the Easy* and EasyGlider. It is a bit of a light fragile plane and probably there would be a better RTF to buy.

Like someone said no more RTF's after getting this one.

I'll try it tomorrow. I suspect I'll be all right. Might be a bit fragile for someone learning.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 13, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:22 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I have one of them thar ASW28. Yup, very fragile, but a fun plane to fly. keep speed up until you have altitude, coz she doesnt mind tip stalling. Easy to land, although she is very flighty in gusts... last flight a wind gust drove her nose in, just on flare for touchown. Plane is fine, but broke the prop. I have no idea on what to replace it with, but I would like to fly her again sometime. I had cut away a lot of the ails foam hinge, and used Du-Bro hinges for rudder & elevators, made a big difference on surface travel, also dialed in more throw eg- servo throw at something like 130% for the elevator. Easy hand launch, with all surfaces neutral, mine flew almost dead straight.
Make sure the CG is correct.

I hope the winds are favourable tomorrow for you... I might have a play with my pusher prop for fun

Good luck with the ASW- enjoy!
I just checked and the weather looks good for tomorrow in Brisbane. I'll do something with those hinges now as apparently the servos have a tendency to die and it is probably the hinges are too tight.

Looks like you really need a receiver with the pins on the end instead of standing up. Did you get the cowl to sit on with the LiPo in? I have a 1250mah two cell and it is a bit long.

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: :-)
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:17 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Ive just got back from a fly, so you've prob already gone flying, gorgeous morning...

My batt's a 1000mAh, fits in perfect, & with this batt and everything pushed as far fwd as possible, the cg seemed good for mine.

See how you go afer your maiden, I mixed a little rudder with my ails to clean up aileron turns.

I hope she went well for you
I think the 1000MAh would fit in better. It is ARF but almost means you still have to check things. We checked the control surfaces before throwing it and one of the screws was not tightened on the servo arm.

I flew it no trouble with a perfect landing (no wind). It is a bit light and underpowered for my liking but I must remember it is a glider for thermals. Before flying it again I'll sort of the LiPo etc under the hood as it would be easy for a servo arm to catch on a loose wire.

I must remember to screw up the screws in the wings next time. I put tape to hold the wings on just in case.

If someone in Brisbane made a reasonable offer I would get rid of it and buy a dearer one. That's because I have a couple of powered gliders and just want better all the time.

So at the moment not overly impressed but I did not really trim it out properly on the first flight either. I hope I get "more impressed" in future flights.

I have never sat down and worked out mixing controls but must do that soon.

Thanks for your info.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 14, 2010 at 01:49 AM.