HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:58 AM
Lancaster, CA.
Joined Aug 2009
308 Posts
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday...

a few people are heading up to Weldon tomorrow. Bruce, Allen and possibly myself if I'm not sick will be up there early Sunday morning. Widns look good 25 to 30 but with a 50 percent chance of rain. We don't plan on our planes getting wet because we have been flying around the raindrops at high speed. It's just a givin. Come on up everybody

Tim
HiDesertFun is offline Find More Posts by HiDesertFun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:02 PM
Lancaster, CA.
Joined Aug 2009
308 Posts
Weldon was downgraded early this morning. Sorry...
HiDesertFun is offline Find More Posts by HiDesertFun
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:19 PM
In Foam We Trust
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
That has been the theme all season long, good luck up there today. It will probably get good for about 2 hours.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:07 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
Hey... 2 months to go!!!
Does anybody have news about the Int DS week?
How many or who will attend the event?
I wonder if I should rent a 4x4 car to go Weldon and probably other spots

André
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decones View Post
Hey... 2 months to go!!!
Does anybody have news about the Int DS week?
How many or who will attend the event?
I wonder if I should rent a 4x4 car to go Weldon and probably other spots

André
Andre

Weldon will require 4 wheel drive, a jeep (or something like a jeep) will have no problem. A subaru will do fine too.

Parker you can make it up with a 2WD truck/SUV or some other high clearance vehicle. There are a few spots with you might scrape a bumper so high clearance is needed. Those same spots might cause you to spin a tire but just back up and take another line (or back up and floor it ).

Vincent will need a true 4 wheel drive jeep (toy, chevy, international) kind of car for the last 50-100 yards to drive down to the flying spot. But if you stop at the top of the hill next to the block house you can walk down the steep part and you wont need 4wd. The block house is accessable by any 2WD SUV/truck.

Norco will need a true 4 wheel drive jeep kind of car, something with a hi/low transfer case. Its a steep hill and you want to go slow. You could walk up but its a hike.

At weldon and norco if someone is at the top they can see you at the bottom and you could work something out for a ride up if all you have a 2wd.

Have fun on your trip.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:01 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,703 Posts
Andre I never saw a Subaru for hire ... they would be my choice if possible. If you have a few guys you need something big. The hire companies don't guarantee you a particular vehicle so you have to pick a category and hope you get something good. They call everything that looks like an SUV an SUV, whether it has 2WD or AWD or 4WD. I've had good luck with Thrifty both visits - prices were good and service was excellent. In 2011 we started with Jeep Cherokees which I thought would be good but they were hopeless at off road. We later swapped to the Jeep Liberty, and it was excellent.

Do your search through an online system such as rentalcarrepublic or netflights and usually you can book a Thrifty hire through them sometimes for half the price of going to Thrifty direct.

I would never drive up Norco! Those Californians are missing a vital chip in their brain so they are able to drive up there unaware of how close to death they are! Not for mere mortals.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:43 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
Thanks guys,

The fact they can't garantee you a specific car is killing me, you just chose a category vehicle and pray... I simulate hiring some SUV, there's almost none 4WD car . The main target for sure would be a car with High and Low options for 4WD, I would love bring my own Suzuki
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:19 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
Should I bring my Steigeisen F3K to socal trip?
duno,... maybe we'll get a flat lazy day...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,235 Posts
If you bring it, it will be too windy. If you leave it at home, you'll wish you had brought it...
So please bring the DLG and winter jacket and leave your sunglasses and kite at home

Looking forward to your trip! Let me know if you need any help with arrangements...

Spencer
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:37 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
Thanks Spencer... another one, is that snowboaring googles a mandatory gear for Weldon Season?
I think it helps a lot when you have 40mph in the desert

I just have a oakley standart sunglasses

Andre
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:25 AM
In Foam We Trust
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
Most use standard sunasses or no glasses. Bring what you think will protect you. I would bring the goggles so you don't get grit in your eyes. If the wind is 50+ mph sand starts blowing.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:52 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Most use standard sunasses or no glasses. Bring what you think will protect you. I would bring the goggles so you don't get grit in your eyes. If the wind is 50+ mph sand starts blowing.
Will bring my swiming googles
A snowboard one maybe no the way...
and sunblock as well
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:38 AM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Hi guys. I lurk this forum mostly but I'm inclined to help those in need of a proper high-clearance rental vehicle. I travel a LOT which means I rent a LOT of cars and here is my system when i want a specific type of car.

1 - Make multiple reservations at different rental car companies you can afford. This is the most important tip.
2 - The day before or the day of (several hours prior to arrival) try to contact the on-site rental office and try to talk them into the vehicle you want. Sometimes they will oblige you, sometimes they will claim they can't.
3 - When you get to the airport, you can "shop" the cars and pick the best one that suits your needs. Trust me, this works. You may even notice that you got upgraded for free.

You can usually score if you go for a pick-up truck as most of the ones the rental places use are 4-door pick-ups.

My favorite is Enterprise Rental. They seem to have the most flexibility and I've been able to call and talk with them to see what they can "save" for me.

This system has worked for surf trips and snowboard trips so I'm sure it will work for a DS trip.

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:48 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Nick and I have gone through this a few times flying into LAX, and generally found
the rental agencies to be utterly clueless. They don't know if their vehicles have 4wd, low
range etc so often no point in calling them first. Heck, I didn't even know that Nissan
made a 2WD version of the "no nonsense" Xterra until we discovered it in SoCal.
Do try to find some place that'll let you choose from their selection of SUVs in
the lot, as there is usually a 4x4 somewhere in their fleet. I forget what we used
last time but they had a good selection. I don't think it was one of the big three. Maybe
National or Thrifty. Maybe Nick will remember. I do like the idea of reserving with multiple agencies,
but make sure they don't require a card to place the reservation, or you may face a cancellation fee.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:18 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,135 Posts
These tips will help for sure, I'm checking the options at the website, Hertz, National, etc...none of them garantee you will have a real 4WD car bummer!

Ian, will you come for the socal Int meeting? I know Nick will...
If yes, what's your arriving date?...we coud arrange or share something.

André
Last edited by decones; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM.