roll and pitch "P" at 4.7
Yaw "P" at 5.5
TPA-.25
looptime at 2900

all other settings default:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlt8WgDW9XM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
First...I think your Roll P is to high...possibly the Pitch P too. Also, in my experience, the Yaw P on a tricopter is WAY lower than normal in a quad/hex/etc. I'd start by dropping your Yaw P to 2.5 for now. Then drop your Roll P .5 at a time to see if it'll settle down. You can then match your Pitch P to match the Roll P. After that you can play with the Yaw P some more. If the Yaw P is to high you will get lots of yaw wag in flight. Also a quick check is to just flick the yaw motor. If the Yaw P is to high it'll start wagging the motor side-to-side and not want to settle down until you hold it. Lower the Yaw P until it doesn't do this. Also, what ESCs and firmware are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
20amp quadrysteria esc's with simonk- I believe they are the most recent version and not the high kv (5-15-13)

I had the pitch P all the way down to 2 at one point- pretty much the same but I didn't match the roll P and I ended up going back to defaults and working on increased PID's.

As you can see- it seems like 2 issues- a motor sync with that popping and the obvious poor tuning as the thing is unstable.

T'was the night before and all day Christmas- as the familiar tale should have read. (but that version would go over like a balloon full of lead)
While the kids were snug in their beds- visions of a tuned tricopter danced through Hiway's head- He barely took notice as the jolly old elf passed because that simple build was kicking his a$$.
PID's at one point were all the way to the 6.5's while the multirotor bucked around in the sky. He dropped them down to the 1.9's, and suddenly things seemed almost fine.
Raising the looptime to 4000 improved things a lot; that helped to smooth the pod racer pop- but not in a crunch- it would get weird if you gave the throttle a punch.
Dropped them some more- just a tad you see- 1.7 and 1.8 on the R and the P (with yaw matcing that on the P) and gave it some TPA to see where it may lead.
I found a bit of solace- the motors sounded better; but now the tri fluttered back and forth stuttering like a feather.
So rather than gripe and groan, and come in here to vent- off to do some celebrating- belated but content- unfortunately there is a multirotor synapse that tries to present all manner of ideas to interrupt my merriment- so back I come- heck the holiday is now spent, looking for that invaluable suggestion in the form of your 2 cents.

Why would I need to go to 4 grand on looptime?
Is that a symptom of another problem? ESC?
I get that I have been chasing poor tuning at those higher gains- but is there a huge change from just a hundreth, or tenth of a point in value I may be missing by adjusting a full digit? (ie- from 3.0 to 2.0 versus just to 2.8 for example) I ask because while there are problems when tuning a miniquad- once you find that range where it will live, there is only very subtle changes from my perception when moving .5 units of value)
TPA is now at .25 with the PID on R,P, and Y all around 1.8 plus or minus a single value. I can hear the popping come back into the motors as I raise the PID's. This thing will not fly stable like I know it can- in many ways- this should be like a rock in the sky with my hands off the sticks- the naze is super tight on alt hold with the baro- especially now that the naze is in a case- very impressive even despite the poor tuning- the darn thing will hold it's position as it wobbles across the sky in the backyard... sometimes with a yaw direction change with no inputs. (slow- not a snap)
Are there any documented or anecdotal incidents using the simonk with lumenier motors? I mean these things are so nice when that pop is out or reduced down to minimum.
How about I and D? they are right near the defaults... by the extreme drop in P, am I creating a separate issue by not adjusting those in conjunction?
Lastly- any suggestions on a great and stable FC for a tricopter as an alternative would be appreciated- not because I don't like the Naze, but because I may have to accept that I cannot do it on this build. and I am not giving up the tri so I have to have a Plan B.
Hiway is offline Find More Posts by Hiway
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Jan 2009
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD View Post
I am not sure if 10dof actually makes it better, but it should work with base flight or clean flight.
hi..what is 10dof compared to the conventional one ?
pinoydad is offline Find More Posts by pinoydad
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
661 Posts
KK seems good on tris. David Windestal even uses it on his tris.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
Dirty Side Down.......o~^o
United States, MD, Sharpsburg
Joined Mar 2014
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
KK seems good on tris. David Windestal even uses it on his tris.
Since it is David's tri I am working on here- and since I can only get him to document a KK set up (he keeps promising to do a Naze video but I suspect everyone is having the same issues or similar as I still cannot find any definite videos or examples of a tricopter this size on a Naze flying locked in (I am sure there are a few- I hope)

So Ron at Quadrysteria just got an order for a KK- the latest and greatest- with stevis firmware preloaded- I know nothing of that FC but must have a rock solid stable tricopter.
Hiway is offline Find More Posts by Hiway
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Hey guys,

Can anyone link me to some information where I will find out how to setup the Naze32 to be used with 6 channels on a Spektrum Satellite only? I think I've seen it done somewhere but am really not too sure!
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2011
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydad View Post
hi..what is 10dof compared to the conventional one ?
I went through the specs I think they consider 3 axis mag and Baro as +4 degrees of freedom
But basically it's the same as naze32 specs
CoolD is offline Find More Posts by CoolD
Old Today, 12:01 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
661 Posts
Quote:
Since it is David's tri I am working on here- and since I can only get him to document a KK set up (he keeps promising to do a Naze video but I suspect everyone is having the same issues or similar as I still cannot find any definite videos or examples of a tricopter this size on a Naze flying locked in (I am sure there are a few- I hope)

So Ron at Quadrysteria just got an order for a KK- the latest and greatest- with stevis firmware preloaded- I know nothing of that FC but must have a rock solid stable tricopter.
It is a pretty good stable flyer tbh. Not much the bells and whistles like the Naze (frsky telemery in mind) but it is really easy to work on. I have Stevies 1.16 on mine and my 450 flies rock solid. A big advantage I think the KK has is the beeper, it works fantastic. I sometimes think the Naze's beeper has flu. You can hear the KK2 low voltage beep up to very long distances. With the Naze, I just hear a 3 toned cough! I just rely on my taranis on the Naze and keep the beeper as a lost model alarm. Another advantage is it is fool proof. On the 2.1.5 you can wire everything backwards and it will not fry.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Today, 03:13 AM
Quad User
Australia, VIC, The Basin
Joined Aug 2014
99 Posts
Quote:
T'was the night before and all day Christmas- as the familiar tale should have read. (but that version would go over like a balloon full of lead)
While the kids were snug in their beds- visions of a tuned tricopter danced through Hiway's head- He barely took notice as the jolly old elf passed because that simple build was kicking his a$$.
...etc....
Mate, I have to say it, though I'm sure you've been told:
The gift of your rhyming is absolute gold
daveracer is online now Find More Posts by daveracer
Last edited by daveracer; Today at 03:23 AM.
Old Today, 03:23 AM
Quad User
Australia, VIC, The Basin
Joined Aug 2014
99 Posts
Hiway:

Forgive me if I haven't back-tracked enough, but which ESCs are you using?
daveracer is online now Find More Posts by daveracer