Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,227 Posts
Avidemux in Vista - 2 Pass with 3D and Sharpness Filters

Hey Tom,

Yup those setting worked!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1332

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1333

The video looks the best yet. You're correct about how it looks. The blurring is still there but better, the "slower shots" look REALLY good.

I will be interested to see my results once I get outside but I am seeing my videos looking as good as those posted here earlier!!!

Thanks again for the help "Obi-Tom Kanobi" !!! You were my only hope !!!!

I have some others here that are asking about these cams and I now have a simple set of options now that I can recommend and not have to babysit each set up. Cool....

I can't get back to the gym for 2 weeks but I will be reviving Underdog to do some cam sorties. He carry's 2 mounts and flys much slower with the cams more isolated from vibrations. Speed of Lightning and the Roar of Thunder !!!

Never fear the HD Cam Underdog is here !!!

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Tom,

Yup those setting worked!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1332

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1333

The video looks the best yet. You're correct about how it looks. The blurring is still there but better, the "slower shots" look REALLY good.

I will be interested to see my results once I get outside but I am seeing my videos looking as good as those posted here earlier!!!

Thanks again for the help "Obi-Tom Kanobi" !!! You were my only hope !!!!
Joe
Considering how light and "flimsy" the indoor birds are and the lighting, your vibration and motion blurring is really pretty minimal, I'd say.

When you get outside in brighter light, if your camera is like mine, I think you will find that the colors "bloom", or get very rich and over-saturated with contrast also increasing. The colors on mine look most natural when the light is not real bright. If you find that is also the case with yours, you should first apply the "Mplayer eq2" filter in the "Colors" category. This is a very useful filter for color correction. I tone down my color saturation setting to about 65-75 and decrease the contrast down to a 90 setting. For my camera, this makes colors look more natural, but in the process, it improves the detail in darker shadow areas, and seems to also minimize the "hot spot" effect in the center of the video. Play with the settings to see what works best for your camera. You will probably find that the de-noise filter is not needed in brighter outdoor lighting.

The order in which the filters are applied can make a difference in the results, too. I try to apply color correction first, then noise reduction if needed, then sharpness, and finally any rotation or resizing that might be required.

Glad you got things working to your satisfaction!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Has anyone found the best wide angle lens to use on the HD version of this keycam?

I used to use both the .67x lens, and 180degree lens (put links at the bottom), with great success with the old standard def keychain cam. They worked great to widen the field of view, and still remain sharp. However my experience so far with the HD cam is that although they do widen the field of view, the edges end up very seriously blurry.

I'm no lens expert but, I've been analyzing these lenses. I'm thinking its because the old keycam had a narrower field of view to begin with that shoots right through the good part of the lens and then gets widened. Ending up with a nice wide image that is crisp all the way to the edges (but plagued with distortion, timestamp, and dropped frames) But the HD keycam has a slightly wider field of view that ends up shooting through the sides of the lenses more which appear to cause the blur. So although it performs better stock with no lens, I really want to find a inexpensive way to get a wider field of view.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...l-phones-14953

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/15mm-de...-cameras-39814
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:10 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,477 Posts
It might be better if you can get the WA lens closer to the camera lens, if that's possible???
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
It might be better if you can get the WA lens closer to the camera lens, if that's possible???
Potentially could be possible, I did think of that, but it would require really butchering both the lens and camera with a dremel. Only way to get it closer would be to cut out much of the plastic off the keycam, and carefully grind off about about 1-2 millimeters from the rim of the lens. I'd possibly do it if it was known and well documented to work good, but don't think I want to try just for an expiriment.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:24 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,477 Posts
Maybe could test out of the case, unless someone can suggest a better way. I would not get the Dremel to work until confirmed either. Even taking the cam out of the case has some risk, maybe not worth it.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:55 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
After having the camera for a while, I finally worked up the courage to try and remove the time stamp and, guess what? Worked just fine!

Thanks for all the great info, guys.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
I just did some pretty accurate tests of the new HD camera's field of view with various lenses, as well as the old #3 camera's field of view for comparison, using a protractor setup.

I tested them stock, with the .67x lens, and with the 180 fish eye lens, and here are the results.

HD cam
wide ------------ tall
54 degrees ____ 32 degrees _______ stock, no lens
77 degrees ____ 45 degrees _______ .67x lens
129 degrees ____ 67 degrees _______ 180 fish eye lens

#3 cam
wide ------------- tall
37 degrees ____ 28 degrees _______ stock, no lens
53 degrees ____ 39 degrees _______ .67x lens
77 degrees ____ 57 degrees _______ 180 fish eye lens

A couple other things to note, the HD cam definetly had better low light performance (I did these tests indoors under a CFL bulb, and could definetly see a drastic difference in quality in the difficult lighting condition.

Also based on my limited experience so far, when using the .67x lens or 180 lens on the HD cam, it seems to cause some very considerable blurring on the edges. It seems to affect distant objects to a much greater effect than close objects (trees while flying will be very blurry, close objects while pointing around your porch or something not as much). That doesn't happen on the #3 camera. However you notice the HD camera basically has roughly the same field of view just stock, as a old #3 did with a .67 lens.

Also using the 180 fish eye lens on the HD cam most definetly causes a serious fish eye effect and lots of distortion. In my opinion the distortion is so great you wouldn't want to ever use it unless you are actually specifically wanting the fish eye effect, or really need a super wide angle. The #3 camera however can use the 180 fish eye lens and it looks pretty good, like a normal wide angle lens, without a drastic fish eye effect (but granted not nearly the same field of view.

tags (in case anyone needs to search for these results later): keychain keycam hd #3 camera field of view test , fov test, lens test, angle test, .67x, 180 fish eye
Last edited by carl1864; Feb 05, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:05 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Ordered mine!
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:37 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
This thread is a great resource, especially with Tom's "index" up front. One thing I haven't found an answer to, however, is whether or not these are sold anywhere here in the States? Is eBay, via HK, the only way you can get them?

Thanks -- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did I understand you correctly, you were using a standard USB cable connected to your PC for this test? So the recording did not continue after the 20 minutes stop and save function.

But, this is not quite identical to a standard generic wall or car charger, because they typically have no data lines connected, whereas your PC USB cable would and could communicate with your camera.

Do you have a wall wart or car generic USB charger, such as for a cell phone, that would not have the data line signals present to repeat this test? That is what we really want to know for sure. It could be that the camera detects the USB data lines when it stops after 20 minutes of recording, and THAT is what stops the "continue" portion of the sequence.
Yes, I used a standard USB cable. Unfortunately I don't have a wall wart or car generic charger, so I can't test that.
I experience the same "problems" other users reported with the emergency charger when trying to use it to prolong the recording. I, too, find it strange that it works with car charger.
Can someone with the test equipment and greater knowledge have a further look into this? E.g., what is the voltage output from the car charger?

Also I'm trying to do the pin4-modification (with data lines absent) on a standard USB cable for use at the PC, but I don't get it to work (no charging at all). May be my limited soldering skills/equipment.
Has anyone done this successfully?
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
This thread is a great resource, especially with Tom's "index" up front. One thing I haven't found an answer to, however, is whether or not these are sold anywhere here in the States? Is eBay, via HK, the only way you can get them?

Thanks -- Gary
Yes. As of now, there are no other sales sources for these. There was reportedly some kind of US "exclusive rights to sell" deal being discussed with a "big US retailer", but so far this has not materialized.

But those who have purchased from the first four eBay stores I listed have gotten excellent service, so I would not hesitate to order from them.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 05, 2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:40 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yes. As of now, there are no other sales sources for these. There was reportedly some kind of US "exclusive rights to sell" deal being discussed with a "big US retailer", but so far this has not materialized.

But those who have purchased from the first four eBay stores I listed have gotten excellent service, so I would not hesitate to order from them.
Okay, thanks. I placed an order, but I'm trying to find out if I can get expedited shipping. So far all I've received is an auto-replay saying they are gone until after the New Year holidays, so no response until then, I guess.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Also I'm trying to do the pin4-modification (with data lines absent) on a standard USB cable for use at the PC, but I don't get it to work (no charging at all). May be my limited soldering skills/equipment.
Has anyone done this successfully?
Can answer this myself now: successfully done.

I first tried to solder on the Mini-B plug of an USB cable I didn't use anymore, which was kind of difficult for me to get good access to. I broke off pins while trying to remove the "adhesive" around them. I also struggled with the smallness of the plug.
This time I disassembled one of the car chargers because I knew the Mini-B plug is already modified. I then soldered the +5V and Ground cables on an old A plug which for me was far easier to do.

Emptied the internal battery of the cam by letting it run. Plugged the modified USB cable in the PC USB slot. No LED comes on; I waited a few seconds, then turned on the cam (yellow LED), recorded for about 10 minutes, manually stopped it. Turned the cam off (yellow LED disappears), while its still connected to the PC via USB. No LED can be seen. So far same behavior as with the car charger in the car.
I will next test the close-and-continue function.

UPDATE:
Close-and-continue works with the modified USB at PC. Just recorded 2 hours 10 minutes (7 files) on a 8GB Kingston card after using Jantares method to switch to the 7Mbps mode and with the internal battery empty. File sizes on the 6 20-minute-files are not 1.03 GB each but vary between 1.044.402 KB (smallest file) and 1.311.888 KB (biggest file).
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Last edited by deepinside; Feb 05, 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: additional information
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:56 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Does someone noticed that some #11 cameras has a malfunction with the exposure levels and I think also with the white balance in the center?! As s result of that there is ... I don't know how to call it - red/pink bright spot appearing.

Some random sample images:
1) Eagle-Eye post #1319:

2) feath3r post #1191

3)feath3r post #1166

4) ShinG0 post #1103

I googled the problem and I found - that malfunction appears with other devices too:
1) iPhone 4 has green spot in camera
2) Nexus One Camera Issue Same as HD2

ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Last edited by ShinG0; Feb 05, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Closed Thread