HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
Build Log
Hank Cole smoothie for the Complete a Project Build Off

So, this is my build log for Hank Cole's smoothie.

I'm building from plans on The plan page

This is the first time I'm building anything this complicated or this big. This will also be a slow build.
korale is offline Find More Posts by korale
Last edited by korale; Jan 12, 2014 at 06:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 07:31 AM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
first pics

I've finished building the tailplane, it needs to be sanded down to shape, interesting construction, no spar just a covering of 1/32 sheet of about 1/3 of chord,

not show is the prop that is half carved, halfway through I realised that I have not left enough width and that I had carved it too thin. I will carve another one to use.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,536 Posts
Great start! Should be a beautiful model. Good luck and many soft landings.

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old May 25, 2010, 07:53 PM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
The fuselage is off the board.

When I started this build I knew that is was going to ne a learning expereince and what I have learned so far is that I dont yet have the skills to build two identical halves of a keel and former fuselage.

there are some differences between the two sides, nothing too critical but next time I have to build a keel and former fuselage I will use a jig for sure.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korale View Post
The fuselage is off the board.

When I started this build I knew that is was going to be a learning experience and what I have learned so far is that I don't yet have the skills to build two identical halves of a keel and former fuselage.

there are some differences between the two sides, nothing too critical but next time I have to build a keel and former fuselage I will use a jig for sure.
It looks pretty good, the Smoothie is one of my favorites.
I am thinking that you are making it easy and I might have a chance at building one too

I have the same plans file, how did you print your plans?

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old May 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
I'm not very happy with the state of the fuselage, but I'm almost out of 1/32 and I'd rather keep building than throw this one away. if it still looks bad after asembling and sanding I might make another one .

the plans from the plan page are good enough to build from, It was quite tedious to cut all the half circles out by hand as I'm only getting 2-3 hours of building time a week.

I printed out the cad (dwg) drawing using a freeware CAD program because I could not get the image files to print to the correct scale. also the dwg file contains a full size side view, wing and tail plane outlines that you can build on.
Old May 27, 2010, 01:51 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
The plans page......

Quote:
Originally Posted by korale View Post
So, this is my build log for Hank Cole's smoothie.

I'm building from plans on The plan page

This is the first time I'm building anything this complicated or this big. This will also be a slow build.
Wow, I went on the link you put out there, saw the listing for Earl Stahls stuff, & found the landing gear for a P-39 on the first page! Very cool indead, as I have a lazer cut short-kit from Bob Holman www.bhplans.com that is sweet, 42 WS, but no landing gear shown (belly flopper).....

That link is a great resourse!
Sorry that this post is a little off subject, & by the way you are doing fine, the only thing that could be potentially bad is if the Fus. keel is bent to the side, as long as thats straight youll bee just fine......
......& you havent lived until you do a stick & tissue!

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Last edited by Laramie; May 27, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
web resources

the plan page is great ,

There are lots of other sites that are usefull as well they can all be found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229423
Old May 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,789 Posts
Oh man, I love that fuse......absolutely gorgeous

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Smoothie Notes

Korale, I built a Smoothie from the Plan Page too. I ran into a few problems that may be of interest.

First of all, it turns out I have 3/32" fingers. I break 1/16 stringers just looking at them so after I got the Smoothie out of the tree, I replaced all the stringers to 3/32.

The other problem is gliding the model with the twin fins. I have tall weeds, not grass, and the tail would take a beating on every landing.

Biggest problem of all is getting it to fly. If you go to the 2008 page Coles Stratosphere is there and it is very helpful to read what he has to say about power.

"On the side view the position of the center of grainy is shown: it must be in this position or slightly to the rear in or­der to obtain the best glide. The original ship was powered with 16 strands of 3/16" brown contest rubber. With this motor the prop run was about 1:15 minutes. On the second model 20 strands of 3/16" brown contest rubber, 32 inches long, was used. The motor run was slightly under the minute mark, but altitude attained was much greater than with the first motor. When lubed and stretched five times its length, 700 turns can be packed into the motor."

This thing needs lots of power. My problem has been getting it to climb. After locating the CG just behind where he calls for it and adding 3/32" negative incidence to the stabilizer, it finally climbs. But note that he talks about a 1 minute more or less motor run. The motor needs to be over 3oz or it is not big enough.

Besides looking great, this model is good for windy days because of its speed and dihedral.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old May 31, 2010, 08:54 AM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
Thanks for the tips Authur,

I wonder if the smoothie needs that much power because it has a low pitch prop ?

so far I have managed to break only one stringer in the fuse but that was probably due to blind luck.

I have a question about joining the wings, when you joined them did you have any trouble sheeting the front half of the wing ? the 1/32 sheet needs to butt join on the center dihederal break and there is a single 1/16 rib there, I was thinking of replacing that rib with a 1/8 rib to give the sheeting (and the LE and TE) more area to glue onto.

I see that we do share a some common taste in models, along with the smoothie the sportster in you avatar pic is in my 'must-build-someday' list.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:45 AM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Smoothie Wings

Hi Korale.

I checked the wing and I did as you suggested, then covered the joint with another layer of 1/32" balsa, top and bottom. That joint looked a little week to me as well.

I would like to use a prop with less pitch, but to keep it SAM legal I'm using what is called for on the plan. I have double checked the decalage on my smoothie and it always comes out exactly as called for on the plans. The glide is really long and flat. It took 3/32" negative incidence in the stab to get a stall to show, but it also started to climb better.

In the Free Flight Quarterly "The Great Gollywock Saga" (a must for every rubber power enthusiast) Simmons is quoted as wanting the decalage to be fairly flat. He insisted on adding weight if necessary and hated it when people would move the wing back. He also said that this allows for lots of power in the Gollywock. Most guys use 16 strands, but I use 20 and the Gollywock turns into a rocket.

So I believe the same kind of reasoning applies to the Smoothie. He has about 3º positive wing incidence, but wants lost of power for fast steep climb.

I consider this a work in progress for me.

My avatar is Tuxwell's Sportster (also from the plan page). I love golden age designs with all the curves even though the builds drive me crazy

Arthur
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:02 AM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
landing gear

Arthur,

Got another question for you about the landing gear, I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, does the weight of the model keep it in down until it ROG's ?

If thats the case I would think that the tension in the rubber band that 'retracts' the wheel would be critical, how did that work out for you?

I've been playing around with the idea of building a modified 1/2 scale version of the sporster for rubber power after I finish the Smoothie. does your sportster have a removable lower wing?

korale.
Last edited by korale; Jun 01, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:27 AM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Smoothie Landings

Hi Korale, I forgot the mention the landing gear. It basically drove me crazy. The motor would always get caught in the "eye" of the landing gear. I did it exactly the way it showed on the plans.

So I dumped that idea and did it my way. The pictures show the details, but basically the rubber band is on the outside and the landing gear snaps back upon release.

If you tackle the Tuxwell Sportster I would recommend considering the biplane option and the standard tail. I did not do this because I loved the looks of the bobbed tail and "V" stab. With electric R/C there was a serious dutch roll problem which I solved by moving the CG back and dramatically increasing the size of the fin.

Another option for this style of model is the Ladybird Special, cir. 1947. It is a British design and flys really well. Here is my Youtube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/user/crankart#p/u/10/k5oP_gj40z0 The end of this video shows how I solved making twin rudders out of fixed twin fins, a common configuration for these early designs.

Arthur
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:51 PM
novice
Melbourne
Joined Oct 2005
25 Posts
Landing Gear

I've been thinking about the landing gear and I will probably fly without it first and fit it later.

Been a bit busy and have not had the chance to get a lot of work done on this, hoping to have the wings framed up in the net two or three nights