SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,121 Posts
As a Glow man from years ago and recently restarted using glow ... more interesting than plug and go electrics !! _ I can say this ..

a) Inverted engines prefer to be started right way up - it's to do with crankcase pressure and fuel draw for initial start.
b) Once started, revved a few blips to clear over-rich starting condition - should be fine to flip model over upright.
c) Inverted engines can be more sensitive to needle setting - so careful adjustment to prevent the spitting / cough on opening throttle etc.
d) Tank placement often is poor for inverted engines unless model is designed for inverted.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my hobby room otherwise I would have quickly put the parts together for a picture.

Here's what I did.
I took a piece of wooden dowel and slipped it into a piece of brass tubing (tight fit) glued it so it would not move. Leave a space and add a second one.
Now what you have is a wooden dowel with two brass rings on it. Make one only about 1/4 to 3/8 long and the other one somewhere around 1 1/2" or longer.
This is the part that moves. with the throttle servo.

Take the next size bigger brass tube and cut a couple of lengths. Solder the wires form your on board glow battery to these parts and attach them to a plywood base. with 3/4" or so space between them.

How it works is when your throttle servo moves to idle the long brass tube that is on the wooden dowel bridges the space between the (one size larger) brass tubes that have the wires on them.

When the throttle is advanced the circuit is open when the brass tube bridging the to rings separates.

The reason for the short 1/4"- 3/8" That appears to do nothing is only to act as a guide to keep everything aligned.

You could use nyrod instead of a wooden dowel

The idea is to space the two parts far enough apart that the throttle servo movement is accounted for. Then the long movable brass tube need to be long enough to bridge the gap.

An EZ connector provides a simple way to adjust for the turn on point.

I'm going to be about another week or so before my hobby room shop is back together. I can cobble something up for a photo shoot if you would like a bit more explanation.
Rick

I like your Idea.. well engineered!

Not trying to shoot it down.. but with a programmable radio there HAS to be a way to program that in...

some kind of MIXING of two channels. and on is just an 0 or 1 choosing when it opens has to be the hard part.

the 61 never did run well upside down.. I flew it a couple times still did not transfer well after an idle.. O|SO I switched back to my Sig53 Aviastar (now that I finally got it back after Sig "repaired" the carburator) it seems to run pretty well. it is mountd semi upside down, head at a 45deg downward. so I am going to stick with that setup for now,.

The FOX miracle plug seemed to help out so I am sticking with that.. My onboard glow driver from HK did show up. I have not tried it out yet.. gotta figure out how to program the TX once I do i'll stick it in.. I might just hook it to a free channel and when I decide i want to idle for a while in air... flip the switch.. but automatic would be nice!
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:32 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
I like your Idea.. well engineered!

Not trying to shoot it down.. but with a programmable radio there HAS to be a way to program that in...

some kind of MIXING of two channels. and on is just an 0 or 1 choosing when it opens has to be the hard part.

the 61 never did run well upside down.. I flew it a couple times still did not transfer well after an idle.. O|SO I switched back to my Sig53 Aviastar (now that I finally got it back after Sig "repaired" the carburator) it seems to run pretty well. it is mountd semi upside down, head at a 45deg downward. so I am going to stick with that setup for now,.

The FOX miracle plug seemed to help out so I am sticking with that.. My onboard glow driver from HK did show up. I have not tried it out yet.. gotta figure out how to program the TX once I do i'll stick it in.. I might just hook it to a free channel and when I decide i want to idle for a while in air... flip the switch.. but automatic would be nice!
I've played with "E" power for the last couple of years. When I did the on-board glow it was quite a few years ago and before I had a computer radio.
With todays radios and programing it could be set up to a switch on and off with a mix and have a panic on switch.

Now with my interest being bigger airplanes. and gasoline engines all the way down to 10cc's And a big selection of 20cc engines for the 120 size glow airplanes I'm starting to look more at the smaller end of giant scale.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell