HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:50 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,007 Posts
Build Log
Shop Built DLG

I have been lurking on here on the groups and I am really impressed by the amount of great information and spirit of sharing. last spring I started flying handlaunch with a old scratch built glider that I scored at a swap meet. Talkng to the builder(Dang) got me yearning to build my own.

So I started with wings and tails. But I really wanted my own fuselage. I recently completed my first mold and have spent the last couple of week learning how to use it efectively. I think I have a handle on it now so I am starting on 2 new molds.

My fuse is a bit on the large side but it is quite strong and has loads of room. no problem at all standing 4 servos up in the nose (3114, JR285, HS55). Looks like the weight will be pretty consistent at 50 grams+-. I have one built out for testing with an old wing. This week I will try and buld out a nicer one with a new wing.
killercando is offline Find More Posts by killercando
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Nov 2008
277 Posts
Nice Job !

What is your layup for your fuselage ?
The wing is vacuum bagged or molded ?

Olivier
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:59 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,783 Posts
Nice to see guys are still putting the build in building

I bought my first brand new DLG last month [a moldie] I have literally owned about two dozen now. [bagged stuff]

Its really cool knowing you have built every part from chunks of foam and rolls of fabric.

Your fuse looks great
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:30 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,779 Posts
Great start. Stick with it... the building side of this hobby can be as rewarding as the flying.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Gents:
Apologies for the n00b question ... from what material are the bladders made?
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,386 Posts
Some use "clown balloons", some use thin plastic drop cloth, welded to shape with a soldering iron. I am sure a search for bladders will bring up lots of data.
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Gents:
Apologies for the n00b question ... from what material are the bladders made?
I have used both clown balloons and home made poly [1mil] bladders.

You can sandwich poly between a rag and use a soldering iron to melt a seam together.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,007 Posts
Leroyo- Bagged tails and wings. Carbon in the tail, Kevlar and/or glass in the nose. Right now I am using 2 layers only in the boom with a couple of extra renforcment pieces. I am also doing some heavy Layups for a Crossover slope racer.

Tom - It is true , building is a lot of fun! I can't wait 'till next the next contest season. Finishing in the middle of the pack with my own scratch built ship will be fun.

Cap n Dave - Twisting ballons are cheap and easy for this sort of shape.

More to come...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Lee,

Looks good. Sigh, I'm envious.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
543 Posts
Lee,

Great work! This is a long way in a very short time from those first couple of 'Taters! You're really making me want more hours in the day... I look forward to battling for the middle of the pack with you and your hand-crafted beauties.

-John
jbarnhardt is offline Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Lee,

Great stuff. I'd heard the rumors about the fuse, awesome work. Prepare to get your brain picked when we get a little closer on this side of the lake.

Did you cut out the mold?

So you and John are gunning for my middle of the pack honors, we'll see about that!:

Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Lee,

Did you use a curved parting plate?

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
367 Posts
I'm very impressed with the progress Lee has made. Every new part he makes just keeps getting better and better. So are you going to kit it?
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:31 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,075 Posts
Like that canted nose look Lee, good job dude!

Are your next molds going to be from the same plug, or are you going to change things up a little?
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:10 AM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
1,007 Posts
Did somebody say airplane?

No seriously, thanks for the Kudos guys. I just have to thank all the people on here that openly share there ideas, techniques and mistakes. I stll have a lot of leasons to learn and keep striving to learn this craft.

John -Don't forget all the hours in the night when you are wasting time sleeping.

Rick - I hope you don't believe all the rumors. I hand shaped the plug and pulled the mold off of that. It is quicker when starting from scratch to go this route but takes quite a bit of knack to get it shaped straight and symetrical. I am more than happy to help you guys out any way possible, John too. I can hardly wait for another contest and may have to head for Arizona or SoCal this Winter.

Gary - The parting plane breaks and angles about 10* an inch or so ahead of the wing LE.

Dave - That would be so cool. I would like to trade some parts and or complete planes for some money or other usefull things. All I have to get rid of at the moment is some tails and a bunch of blemished fuselages.

Ploof - I like the drooped nose to. One of the new molds will be off of this plug but with the nose a little pointier and the boom slimmed down and transitioning to round behind the stab. I hope to save 6-8 grams without losing any structure. The second mold s for a 2-2.5 meter slope weapon.