HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Modified Carbon Cub AS3X with Hitec Servoes

I Decided to try a Hyperion 450mah 2s in it and it works great. it fit verry snug.
Got 15minuts just cruising it around. it was more stable too.
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
I Decided to try a Hyperion 450mah 2s in it and it works great. it fit verry snug.
Got 15minuts just cruising it around. it was more stable too.
Awesome man!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,174 Posts
what can you guys say is the best overall mod for this UMX?
thanks
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:50 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
thanks
The only thing I would do is cover the tail feathers with extreme clear packing tape. Oh yeah, and bigger wheels if you need it where you fly.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,174 Posts
awesome, thank you for the feed back
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
thanks
Best depends on what you're trying to accomplish!

I only wanted to improve the scale looks, so big wheels a must.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:07 PM
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jun 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer View Post

Stoked that there is a mod thread for this little guy! Just joined the RC world, glad to see others are modding their CC's.

Out of the box I slapped some bush wheels on, I then got a little carried away with ideas and made some new parts

I made some aileron spades from balsa and a business card, they work and look great! A few other things include adding paint to the spinner and prop tips, also the gear fairings came off on my 2nd flight so I made my own from balsa, painted them red and hot glued them on. I also made an exhaust coming from the bottom of the cowling. Other than the spades everything I modded was just for aesthetics! I have read horror stories about these planes failing, I have had some amazing fun flights with no issues! I'll post a video soon!
what do thoes "spades" acualy do i have no clue as i was checking your plane out My first C.C. "that i brought back" because of flap servo B.S. was that issue only with it,. "they" replaced it with a new C.C. the new one has been %100 reliable and excellent/fun to fly
B.C.NEWFIE is offline Find More Posts by B.C.NEWFIE
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:03 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
what do thoes "spades" acualy do i have no clue as i was checking your plane out
"spades" are devices used on full scale aircraft to do one of two things.

1. They help counter balance the control surface.

2. The air flowing over the spade assists the control surface in its movement. (This gives the control a much lighter feel in the air, and makes the control easier to actuate.)

Its all aerodynamics 'n such. But on a scale this small, they will have no appreciable effect on flight at all... They just look really cool

P.S. you mainly see spades on aerobatic planes.. ie. Christian Eagle, Decathlon, and Extra's/Edge's.

This might be helpful.. or it might not.

-Colin
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
I just put a Rimfire 200 motor in it with a 6030 prop and love it. Its a lot quieter and way smoother than eflite motor. will upload video one day.
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
thanks
Given that 'best' is a highly subjective term, there is rarely a single "best mod" for anything. Such things are usually highly dependent upon the particular use conditions.

Beefing-up the tail is a great idea. So is installing a set of tundras if you fly from unprepared surfaces. If you're looking for more power - simply installing a 5030 prop & using a high-performance 2s pack will allow the plane to hover.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
give me a list of the best "uprgrade" lipos please... im not sure which are the best for this plane... ie size/weight/cost.... which lipos wioll give me the best performance?
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
give me a list of the best "uprgrade" lipos please... im not sure which are the best for this plane... ie size/weight/cost.... which lipos wioll give me the best performance?
RCBabbel's lightweight TP 325 mAh 65c UMX packs provide the highest thrust-to-weight of any plug & play pack that will fit the battery compartment & still allow one to obtain an acceptable CG. They're also designed for 12c charging, and TP claims 600 cycles before they start to fade away. The new Hyperion 400 mAh 35c UMX pack is the second-best-performing plug & play pack. Hyperion packs are designed for 5c charging & they usually last for 300 cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade away. The Hyperion 240 mAh 25c UMX pack is a great choice for flying in tighter spots, and there is still plenty of power on tap for everything except hanging on the prop. The new Hyperion 500 mAh 35c UMX pack is an excellent choice for endurance flights. The Hyp 500 is also an excellent choice for flying in windy/turbulent conditions.

RCBabbel also sells lightweight versions of the popular Hyperion UMX packs. They're great for those who want an extra edge in overall flight-performance with the least increase in weight.

I get my factory Hyp packs from All e RC, and I either make my own lightweight packs or buy them from RCBabbel. His workmanship is so excellent that I rarely bother to roll my own UMX packs anymore.

Miniaviation's UMX packs are a good choice for those who live in the UK. Many people also report good performance from the latest Turnigy Nano UMX packs.

See my blog for a number of UMX motor, prop & pack static RPM tests, comparison flight videos, and links.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
given that 'best' is a highly subjective term, there is rarely a single "best mod" for anything. Such things are usually highly dependent upon the particular use conditions.

Beefing-up the tail is a great idea. So is installing a set of tundras if you fly from unprepared surfaces. If you're looking for more power - simply installing a 5030 prop & using a high-performance 2s pack will allow the plane to hover.

Joel
+1!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Stump puller? Nearly Hover?

Not quite my experience. It's more like full throttle or die!!! Sure it slows down to a walking pace for perfect landings, but full throttle seems like 5-10 mph. I have the complete UMX line, and of course I expect this one to be the least aerobatic, but I dare not fly in ANY wind unless I want the plane to travel backwards. Just tried the 5030; which has noticably improves the others (sbach, beast, Geebee), but there was no noticable difference with the CCub No way would I even attempt aerotow with the ASK-21. Is it possible I have a bum motor? My packs are hyperion 240 25c. They perform amazing in all the other umx planes.
Gator187 is offline Find More Posts by Gator187
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
I'd say you have a power plant issue, gator. Have you checked that your throttle isn't limited in your radio program. With full throttle and a 5030, fresh battery, mine climbs like a banshee.