HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:38 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Discussion
Altimeter - memorable flight thread

Thought there might be a few others out there who sometimes catch a memorable flight on the altimeter in the course of an event or practice.

To kick things off ......

Sunday was hot and humid in sydney, February weather. Still the thermals stayed welll hidden to me until about 10:30 am. After six succesive failures to do ten minutes the dog was due for a good kicking when I got home.

Flight seven seem just the same but then right on top of the field there was a little bubble at 25 metres which with tight circles was workable right out. Lots of fun with the 3.9 m Maxa, so much fun in fact that I ended up blowing the landing.

Anyone else?
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:09 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,740 Posts
At our NZ nats in January, I did a medium early shutoff in great lift. You can hardly tell when the motor was shut off by looking at the altitude data. I shut the motor off at 106 m, and the FAI altitude registered 10 sec later at 136 m. I was carrying 650 g at the time due to the wind. It was a really small thermal, as soon as I straightened out to leave it, I was in sink.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
Flight last August for our own RCG Monthly Soaring Contest,1 hour 21 minutes. It was a grand day with lift everywhere,had to deploy spoilers a couple times to keep her in sight. This was my second personal best with my best ever being around 1976 driving a string launched Legoin Air 140 to a flight of a tick over 2 hours. The graph track looks a bit wilder than the flight actaully was due to compressing the graph to fit the time span. Launch was to 200 metres as governed by a Soaring Circuits CAM and recording was on a Soaring Circuits RAM.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member