HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
If you enjoy this size of model, perhaps another Mini sized model of sub 1 meter span/ I'm finding that I really like this sized model for most park sized flying areas, I've started collecting these minis, I also have HK Kinetic800, HK Vector 850, HK Mini swift, and they are all very enjoyable as well!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
...snip... I also have HK Kinetic800, HK Vector 850, HK Mini swift, and they are all very enjoyable as well! ...snip...
Well, drat. I really liked your Kinetic 800 suggestion. But it looks like HK discontinued it earlier this year. I'll give the Vector 850 some thought too (it's still available)... it looks like a nice step up from my Easy Trainer 800 in terms of power. As for the mini swift... *that* might be a nice fit for a smaller park near my home. All food for thought -- thank you!

Some day, when I grow up, I hope to graduate into a Zephyr V70... what a ride. I keep telling myself, tho, one step at a time.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
Well, drat. I really liked your Kinetic 800 suggestion. But it looks like HK discontinued it earlier this year. I'll give the Vector 850 some thought too (it's still available)... it looks like a nice step up from my Easy Trainer 800 in terms of power. As for the mini swift... *that* might be a nice fit for a smaller park near my home. All food for thought -- thank you!

Some day, when I grow up, I hope to graduate into a Zephyr V70... what a ride. I keep telling myself, tho, one step at a time.
BTW, BH has another new sub 1-Meter model coming very soon:

http://www.bananahobby.com/spirit-rc...0094-prd1.html
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Olde:
Since you've got the 800 dialed in and like it, you might try it's big bro - 1280. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Last edited by NorCal; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Add addresse name
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Double T: "IN STOCK TODAY"! http://www.bananahobby.com/spirit-rc...0094-prd1.html

I just ordered 2 ARF's. Man, 2 motors & I get to use my own rec'vr & DX8. Don't have to pay for a cheesy rec'vr & trans. This is the deal of the day!!!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Double T: "IN STOCK TODAY"! http://www.bananahobby.com/spirit-rc...0094-prd1.html

I just ordered 2 ARF's. Man, 2 motors & I get to use my own rec'vr & DX8. Don't have to pay for a cheesy rec'vr & trans. This is the deal of the day!!!

Awesome!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Think i'm all over the Easy Trainer. The Freewing Spirit looks like a great plane, but too fast. (Scoped 3 videos - nobody has flown the thing slowly, or just let it glide. Lol.) This will be my first "real" plane. (Been flying 2 channels for a few years.) I know bigger is easier, but I don't have a field nearby - just a park. A larger sized glider will scare people. Admittedly, as the pilot, it would scare me too, having limited room. I welcome any suggestions...such as a better motor. Seems this one might be underpowered. (It's either this or the Champ. But kinda want a glider. Pusher, that is.)
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Btw, is it possible to take the RX out of an RTF and stick it in another PNF or ARF?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Cram, the 800 should be an "easy" fly for you. You can take the RTF RX anywhere you want to go w/ it,,,,,just don't forget,,,,you've got to use the TX that came w/ the RX. I'd like to have the 800 but in a ARF or kit. You might find the 1280 just as easy to fly.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Hi Norcal,
Think I'm going to give it a shot. The 1280 would probably scare people at the park, even if they should be more scared of the 800...they don't know that. The Spirit looks great, but a bit fast. But something tells me that all those crappy 2 channels I flew were good training. Some were pretty tricky, especially the small jet configs which were relatively quick to their size, and I'd manage to get the hang of them and keep them well in the air. Can't wait to see what it's like to have elevators and decent range that doesn't dip when below full throttle. And also a glider - love the gliding aspect. Also have plans for lights...there's something I want to try. Meanwhile, thanks to you and everyone for all the great info on this thread and others. HUGE help, granted, I can tell you guys are basically a bunch of lousy influences waiting to happen to a guy like me...

But such is life.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
... I welcome any suggestions...such as a better motor. Seems this one might be underpowered. ...
Earlier in this thread I detailed my experience with the ET800... and some of the experimenting I did with it. After a lot of tinkering, I think I can sum it all up in one thought:

Simply remove the stock prop and substitute a GWS 5043 trimmed down to a 3" diameter (watch the balance). The extra pitch is just what it needs... and, in my experience, wont over-stress the ESC. Without this... it *is* a little underpowered. But with the prop change, it is an excellent little plane.

Everything else I did with it was either distraction or fun stuff.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Cram, sometimes a "bigger" version ie. 1280 is more "floaty" & easier to control, not to take anything away from the 800. In either case, 1st flights should be flown in an area free of obstacles ie. trees if possible so's you can concentrate on plane. Trees are NOT your friends, except for shade when it's over 100deg!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Heya Norcal, Yeah, I know. I been eyeing that Bixler 2 because it floats so well. But I got a good sized park...pretty big...trees only around the edge of it. And I've flown there a lot...all my crappy two channels. I have one plane that's a tree finder. Hit this one post with it...twice...that I could never hit if I tried. Think I'll be ok. I'm not a great pilot, so am a very cautious one and know (how) to do just wide circles. I'd love to get this in RTF, and then that Dolphin with some experience under my belt with 4 channel.
Oldeman - thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind if I learn to balance a prop.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
And again, a bigger plane would probably freak out the parents at the end of the park - a baseball diamond next to a soccer field - where their kids play in the playground. An 800 is less intimidating to them...and me...even though they're easier to fly.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
So... I'm about "tinkered out" on this one... it's dialed in and flying beautifully. Now I'm starting to wonder, what should I buy next?
I have no experience on this Easy Trainer 800. Have you tried up-rating the motor/ESC to go for some inverted flying? How about a tight figure 8, loops and rolls? As for the next step, there are plenty of options!
Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale