Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Balsa Jodel from Glow to Electric

I have picked up a Balsa Model of of a Jodel today. It has currently installed a 40 Series Motor made by SAITO with a 11x4 Prop and I would love to convert it to Electric as my local flying field wont allow Nitro Planes. Here are some pics, and some pics of it after I have taken a few things off....

I have removed the engine and ballast and the whole thing inc. the wings weights 1835g

The Servos currently installed are Futaba FP-S148's I think they are.

I have never done anything like this before so I haven't a clue what I require at the moment as in spec wise.

There is a story behind this plane, I so wanted this as I want to make it a tribute to my late father and the Jodel me and him used to go up in at weekends when I was younger. I think this model is based on a Jodel D117 and my Dad flew a D150 but i think I can certainly make it look something like. Here are a couple of pictures of my dad's old Jodel since he sold it that I have found on the internet (it's still the same colour scheme as when he owned it!)....

The main differences that I can see are the Tail and rudder shape, the canopy and a few other cosmitcs like aerials, undercarriage cowling, etc.. I don't and hope it wont be a massive job to get this looking something like G-BHEG as like I said, this will be homage to my dad.
stundies is offline Find More Posts by stundies
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Do the following, please:

1. Weigh wing, fuse, cowl, engine and a full fuel tank
2. Convert to pounds
3. Multiply by 150

This is the number of Watts your motor will need to pull.

Tell this number to us and we'll continue from there.

By the way - I suspect you will need a 35xx or a 42xx series motors (chinese models) or a 28xx AXI model, but this is speculation at the moment.

M
mixerfix is offline Find More Posts by mixerfix
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
engine displacement in ci * 2000 = equivalent power via electric motors.

so if you want to to scoot just as much as that saito .4*200=800w.

if you dont fly glow, you shouldn't probably sell the engine (ebay, forum), and if you want it spotlessly clean before selling it you can let it sit in a container of hot antifreeze overnight (like a crock pot you're NOT going to cook in anymore)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jun 08, 2014, 08:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nuneaton
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Dimensions of the Jodel

Hi.

I have just bought a similar version of this plane which I want to restore, mine has a 72" wingspan with a fibreglass / balsa fuse and built up wing. Could you please tell me the dimensions of yours?

Mine is missing the cowl and I am searching the net for one...
emulsifier12 is offline Find More Posts by emulsifier12
Old Jun 09, 2014, 12:31 AM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
i think so,This is the number of Watts your motor will need to pull.thanks
sleepsolater is offline Find More Posts by sleepsolater