Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,467 Posts
That cat video is the funniest damn thing I have seen in a long time. I was losing it! And then with spooking the cows, priceless... that's what happens when you have bth RC and taxidermy as hobbies!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:02 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,551 Posts
Having a blast with this little quad. Nice not to have to tinker to get something work perfectly. Wired up LEDS already on all 4 corners using a hobbyking LED controller.

My MQX came with the big 500mah 1s batteries. The label on the package said not to charge more than .7 amps for 500mah. I tried to charge one of the 3 discharged 500mah's after some flight time, and it caught fire at the end of the charge. It was sitting in a lipo bag and my dog barked before I noticed. Got it put out and in a metal bucket for now.

Besides dropping the charge rate which I did, what could be going wrong?

I'm using this charger:
http://www.gensace.com/Charger

One battery puffed another time. I charge my MSRX batteries all the time with the same charger. what gives?
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:13 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Having a blast with this little quad. Nice not to have to tinker to get something work perfectly. Wired up LEDS already on all 4 corners using a hobbyking LED controller.

My MQX came with the big 500mah 1s batteries. The label on the package said not to charge more than .7 amps for 500mah. I tried to charge one of the 3 discharged 500mah's after some flight time, and it caught fire at the end of the charge. It was sitting in a lipo bag and my dog barked before I noticed. Got it put out and in a metal bucket for now.

I'm using this charger:

One battery puffed another time. I charge my MSRX batteries all the time with the same charger. what gives?
I'm guessing you set the wrong charge rate. Why not just use the stock charger?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:35 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! it is a heli.cat.purr
My only question is: Is it capable of 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQHHObgnSg

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/m...-1226383126494

I'll bet it always lands on its skids.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Simon, I had the same problem when I first got my MQX. I couldn't even hover it over my pool table for more than a minute or so without losing control of it. It really makes a big difference when you have more space (outside) to get used to the controls. Now I can fly it around the house, through doorways, etc.. but it's still WAY more fun outside.
BTW - I used the RTF TX for the first few months I had it and got very used to it even with full rates. Since then I have bought a DX6i and it actually took a while to get used to using it verses the stock TX. Now that I have the hang of it, I love messing around with all the settings, trying different things.
Anyway, keep at it and you will love the MQX in the end.

Ok thanks for the inspiration, i'l post back after some stick time in the back garden - (Or back yard as you guys call it )
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Ok thanks for the inspiration, i'l post back after some stick time in the back garden - (Or back yard as you guys call it )
Hi Simon, by 'outside' I mean something the size of a football pitch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:21 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post

I'm using this charger:

From what I have read in various RCgroups threads, Eflite batteries do not have the best of reputations (Hyperions seem to have a good reputation). My own experience with Eflite batteries was just the one that came with my mQx, and it puffed up on its 5th charge. The only other battery that has puffed on me so far is one from Esky (for an Esky coax heli).
In my small experiences with lipo batteries, I have had better experiences with Hyperion and Kong Power batteries. Currently I am running my mQx on some 2 year old Hyperion 1s240mah's (what I had on hand after the Eflite battery puffed).
The 1s240mah's do not fly for very long, but I have been flipping and rolling my mQx using them (but I do start my flips and rolls up at about 30 to 75 feet high).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
From what I have read in various RCgroups threads, Eflite batteries do not have the best of reputations (Hyperions seem to have a good reputation). My own experience with Eflite batteries was just the one that came with my mQx, and it puffed up on its 5th charge. The only other battery that has puffed on me so far is one from Esky (for an Esky coax heli).
In my small experiences with lipo batteries, I have had better experiences with Hyperion and Kong Power batteries. Currently I am running my mQx on some 2 year old Hyperion 1s240mah's (what I had on hand after the Eflite battery puffed).
The 1s240mah's do not fly for very long, but I have been flipping and rolling my mQx using them (but I do start my flips and rolls up at about 30 to 75 feet high).
By contrast, I've never had a single problem with any of my many small Eflite lipos expiring before their due time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Hi Simon, by 'outside' I mean something the size of a football pitch.
Ok, i do full size gliding so i could take it up to my local airfield, although the problem with airfields is they tend to be quite breezy.
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
I found that the carbon fiber arms tend to split, and then twist more freely. When that happens, the MQX gets sloppy. Grab opposite motor ends and twist a little. Then the other two opposites ... you can feel if they are twisting more than they should.

Thanks, I checked them and they seem ok. A buddy has a friend that sells these at his LHS and he said there have been motor issues where they wear prematurely. I only have maybe 5 hours of flight on this and would expect them to last longer than that. He said Horizon has replaced some of them as good will.
I may contact them regarding mine.
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
Thanks, I checked them and they seem ok. A buddy has a friend that sells these at his LHS and he said there have been motor issues where they wear prematurely. I only have maybe 5 hours of flight on this and would expect them to last longer than that. He said Horizon has replaced some of them as good will.
I may contact them regarding mine.
So, a buddy of a friend, thinks they have motor issues, and you don't think 5 hours on a tiny, over worked motor is enough?
Maybe you should look back a little further in this thread.
Ron
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,267 Posts
I haven't replaced any motors since the original CCW motors. I think they changed something. However, 5 hours is still pretty good for a brushed micro motor.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
One of my motors just stopped spinning out of the blue. I thought it was the motor but I plugged the "dead" motor into another socket and it worked fine so it's that particular socket on the board that died on me. Darn it, I knew I should've bought two.

Update! I reseated the plug and made it as tight as I could and yes it's working again! So false alarm. My mQX lives.
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Last edited by Sudsak; Jun 11, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
Another mQX vid...

Blade MQX in the Backyard (5 min 23 sec)
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,522 Posts
Is this of any interest to anyone?

Cable-tie feet extenders are good for softening landings and also allow 'driving' along hard floors, with minimal friction.

In theory, the longer and thicker they are, the taller you can make them - up to the point where weight and stability would be a problem. These 4 inch ones works fine for me though.

A bit of electrical tape works well enough to hold them in place, but you could glue the ends on if you prefered. They can spin a bit at the loop end after a heavy landing, so check them before you take off or you'll get the trim wrong.

If you're interested in trying a way of attaching an 808 camera as in the photos, it's explained here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1669856
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan