HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Help!
What do you re-enforce the Wings with on a GWS Beaver...........

from what I have read, this seems to be their weak point.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
The Pico stick, Slow stick and Beaver wing can be reinforced with carbon fiber.
You can either glue a rod along the leading and trailing edge or on some of them, I have layed 12K carbon fiber tow right under the leading edge and wet it out with 30 minute epoxy.
heres a pic of a Pico stick wing.
Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
from what I have read, this seems to be their weak point.
I used some 1/8 square spruce as a spar at the CG location (one on each side from the center out), and to eliminate the wing flutter (which happens in high speed dives, even on the stock setup) I also put a spruce strut tapered into the base of the existing bamboo strut and clipped into added struts mounts made from spare GWS parts. It is plenty stiff and has been through a lot as a buddy box trainer for my friends and some spirited flying by me. The Strut even works now as a camera mount (with a balance weight on the opposite wing strut). The Beaver is a sweet plane once you do a few simple reinforcements.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:26 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Thanks guys the pics helped out tremedously. I Build ship models as another hobby of mine and have a load of small oak, walnut & mahogany round and square stock. I will give it a whirl and see how it works.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:44 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
While I had a Beaver I simply ran a diagonal of strapping tape as suggested in one of the early Beaver threads. That plus making sure the struts stay together (as they are functional) by pinning the clevises to the bamboo struts, was quite sufficient.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
Do not go gentle
Black Hills of South Dakota
Joined Mar 2004
558 Posts
Mike: There is a treasure trove of build information on the GWS Beaver at this site http://www.parisjunctionhobbies.com/gwsbeaver if you need it.

The forum Canada's Latest Beaver here on RCGroups under Parkflyers is full of guys and gals that can help you out with anymore information.

Just letting you know. Happy flying.

golddigger
golddigger is offline Find More Posts by golddigger
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:50 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger
Mike: There is a treasure trove of build information on the GWS Beaver at this site http://www.parisjunctionhobbies.com/gwsbeaver if you need it.

The forum Canada's Latest Beaver here on RCGroups under Parkflyers is full of guys and gals that can help you out with anymore information.

Just letting you know. Happy flying.

golddigger

Thanks a lot Golddigger, this site is just what I'm looking for. What great information they have.

Thanks,
Mike