HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2014, 04:33 PM
Funtimegrandpa
United States, SC, Moore
Joined Jan 2014
129 Posts
Discussion
Small GPS Tracker

I have been using a GPS Tracker on my Multi-Rotors with a lot of success. From time to time when it is out on a flight I will call the tracker to see if it is reporting back correctly. I know how difficult it was for me to figure out just what I needed, where to buy things and most of all not have a monthly fee.

I have put together a small video showing 2 of the trackers that have worked well and some how to guides. I will also be testing another very small tracker in the next few weeks. I am no expert on this so if I can not answer a question don't get upset. I just know how important it is to have some extra resources should you loose your Aircraft.

Nothing is fool proof, but it does give you one extra chance to hopefully find your equipment should it disappear out of sight. If the tracker reports back to you correctly you should be able to get within about 20 ft of where it is resting. I added a Bluetooth quarter size StickNfind tag on the side of my multi-rotor so when I do get close I can make it beep and make the final recovery!

Hope this helps some of you who worry as I do about loosing your Aircrafts. And please if you know of any other sites to post this, feel free to copy it over. Nothing worse than that sinking feeling when your controls don't work!

Grandpa Jake
GPS Trackers (9 min 36 sec)

Here are some instructions if the above link does not take you to my Funtimegrandpa grandpa jake site

Start out by going here http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans

This will show you the Pay As You Go plan. This is what you want.

Now at the top of the screen choose SHOP and select Bring You Own Device

Select the sim card to the left. That is the standard size card

You have a choice between Phone and Mobile Internet: Choose Phone

Then click on Add To Cart and it will then display T-Mobile Sim Activation Kit

Click on Purchase you items. It will bring you to Review My Cart.

Click on Add Accessories which is just below the picture of the Sim Card

Scroll down to $10 Prepaid Card and select Add to Cart

The rest should not be a problem. Once you get the card or during your purchase you can call the following numbers 1-877-746-0909 or 1-877-334-7151

You have to remember you don't have a display on the tracker so you will need them to help activate it once you install the tracker. Or you can take the tracker and sim card to a T-mobile store and have them set the account up there. I suggest that you don't change any of the passwords on the tracker as you can have a lot of problems. You don't have to worry as no one will have your tracker phone number but you.

Here are a few links that will help with the TK102

http://nyomkoveto.top5.hu/sms-parancsok-list.pdf

http://solidgoldsecurity.com.au/tk10...-instructions/

As for the Smaller LDW-TKW19G I have a pdf file or word doc and if you need the file Let me know and I can always email it to you
Funtimegrandpa is offline Find More Posts by Funtimegrandpa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:01 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
221 Posts
Very informative. Excellent Video.
You are dead on about the setup being the hard part. I've looked into trackers several times, and even called several service providers. Nobody could give me a straight answer like you just did. The "Octo tracker" seems to be the hot tip, just the display, which I'd exect helps with testing/setup/battery monitoring is enough to make me sway toward that. Add in it's size, and tolerance of obstructions, and it seems a good deal.
Now if we can add a "jump out of the tree" option, everybody will want one.

Now for the questions,
Who sells the Octo-tracker?
Will it work with a plain old cell phone? Does it verbally read off the Lon/lat or do you need a app in a smartphone to interpret the callback? I've got a mid-range Trac-phone. Wonder if they offer the service. I'll report back on that. The t-mobile deal seems good to me though.

I've had good luck recovering my FPV planes by typing the last reported Lon/Lat into my car GPS (Garmin Nuvi) and it takes you right to the tree your plane is in. (yeah, my pain is showing - I've had a plane in a tree somewhere all summer) This would be the ticket for any planes not already equipped with a GPS downlink. Cost is reasonable too.
Scott594 is offline Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:14 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
221 Posts
Found Octo :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-GSM-GPRS...sh=item3ce0d82

There a lot more tracking devices out there since I last looked. A lot about the size of the Octo, only pager style, and running about 20 bucks on average. A common one has a block figure on it. If one of these works as well as the ones you tested, it may save $50 on the inital investment. - or replacement of the one in the tree, which you know exactly where it is, but can't quite get to....

Maybe build in a servo operated lanyard release so it can drop the tracker? With my luck it'd go in the next branch down. Gotta move to the desert.....
Scott594 is offline Find More Posts by Scott594
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:07 AM
Funtimegrandpa
United States, SC, Moore
Joined Jan 2014
129 Posts
Where to get the Small Tracker

Scott, I know what you are saying when something it far up in a tree, I call my grandchildren when that happens! I have been luck for a long time but don't want to say that too loud !

Anyhow the person in China that I bought the small tracker from was Marissa qsmmarissa@gmail.com just mention the model number and she can help you order one. I have not seen any on Amazon or any other place to be honest.

I will be testing this one from Banggood.com as soon as it come here. Might be easier to order if it works the same. http://www.banggood.com/V16-Mini-Per...-p-927565.html

looks to be about the same size and is just 1oz also ! I wanted to try it before I recommended it.

The TK102 works great, just a bit heavier

Let me know if you need more help and when the other ones comes I will post what I find.

I may be out of things for a few weeks as I am having my knee replaced on in about a week :-( not looking forward to that! but maybe after I can climb those trees again lol
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:31 PM
Funtimegrandpa
United States, SC, Moore
Joined Jan 2014
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimegrandpa View Post
Scott, I know what you are saying when something it far up in a tree, I call my grandchildren when that happens! I have been luck for a long time but don't want to say that too loud !

Anyhow the person in China that I bought the small tracker from was Marissa qsmmarissa@gmail.com just mention the model number and she can help you order one. I have not seen any on Amazon or any other place to be honest.

I will be testing this one from Banggood.com as soon as it come here. Might be easier to order if it works the same. http://www.banggood.com/V16-Mini-Per...-p-927565.html

looks to be about the same size and is just 1oz also ! I wanted to try it before I recommended it.

The TK102 works great, just a bit heavier

Let me know if you need more help and when the other ones comes I will post what I find.

I may be out of things for a few weeks as I am having my knee replaced on in about a week :-( not looking forward to that! but maybe after I can climb those trees again lol
Scott, forgot to answer your question about it working with a standard phone. What you need is a phone that can text and also have internet capacity if you want to search at that moment. Once you send a command to the tracker, it will respond with Longitude & Latitude if you have a smart phone you can just click on it and it should load a map showing you where it is. If you only have text ability, you would need to type what it sends back into your computer on the address bar and it will also load a map for you to find. Hope that made sense?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Yateley
Joined Feb 2014
160 Posts
Are you still happy with the results and accuracy of this unit?

ANDREW (UK)
adchesney is online now Find More Posts by adchesney