SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2014, 07:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Help!
Help with 86 Tamiya Boomerang motor

I have recently acquired a vintage Tamiya Boomerang and I am looking for a new motor for it that wont tear up any of the parts.

Does anyone know of any decent motors that wont tear it up or maybe know what motor originally came with it?

Note: This is my first real RC vehicle so I'm new to the hobby.
recordguy234 is offline Find More Posts by recordguy234
Last edited by recordguy234; Jun 07, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:14 PM
The Master of Disaster
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Apr 2014
84 Posts
What type of motor comes with it; it's it brushed? Also, what specs does it have (kv, turns, etc.) Based on that we can determine a safe motor for it.
SlimBreaky is online now Find More Posts by SlimBreaky
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:37 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,230 Posts
Not many of the brushed motors left. I know I had a Reedy modified in mine. It flew for it time.

Might look at one of these.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...urn-motor.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...550-12t-1.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-540-type.html

Buzz
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:51 PM
Good Ole American Bad Az 4real
Joined Aug 2012
516 Posts
This is Original motor also a super stock 23T was in those..search this ..
Tamiya 53689 RC 540-J Motor
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Last edited by tntpoof; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:58 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2014
270 Posts
that link is for an optical sensor you used to respond to the dyno thread
AJ450 is offline Find More Posts by AJ450
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:05 AM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Thanks for the help guys however I finally found a decent hobby shop that wasn't trying to stick it to me and actually wanted to help.

However now that i have the new motor installed it now wants to drive all by itself basically and i have no clue what could be causing it. It wasn't doing that before the motor change.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:20 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Does this car come with mechanical speed controller, or electronic speed controller? If you have the first, maybe you accidentally changed the neutral setting or link of the servo controlling the speed controller?

Or do you mean the car starts to loose control as the motor turns, with twitching servo etc? If so, it might be the new motor doesn't have proper suppresion capacitators installed. What radio gear are you using? Good ol' AM stuff perhaps?

And what motor did you end up with? Most cars of that time came stock with a basic Mabuchi 540 motor, which wasn't too fast.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:33 AM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
The new motor I got is a Axial 27T AX24004 remote is a Futaba FP-T2GS ( I'm guessing its the one that was originally installed. ) Im guessing its a mechanicle speed controller mainly because its old.

Name: DSC03981.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 945.6 KB
Description:

Name: DSC03983.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 739.6 KB
Description:

Name: DSC03985.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 1,012.7 KB
Description:

Heres some pictures hopefully it helps
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:45 AM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
It is most definitely the motor causing it. I left it unplugged and the car off for a while and turned it back on and everything worked fine until I plugged the motor back in and it started freaking out again.

Is there anyway of still using this motor? Or do i have to return it and get a different one? Or do I have to install the suppression capacitors? Can I use any value suppression capacitors?
Last edited by recordguy234; Jun 08, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:35 AM
Good Ole American Bad Az 4real
Joined Aug 2012
516 Posts
it is the throttle trim adjustment /on left side there is a calibrated slide adjustment next to stick throttle control,, slide that up or down until car dont move..
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Last edited by tntpoof; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:40 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
I would replace the MSC (Mechanical Speed Controller) with an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) to get better control. What an MSC does, at least with most from that era, is basically divide throttle into 3 steps. 1/3rd throttle, 2/3rd throttle, and full throttle. So when you apply a little throttle on the transmitter, it jumps from 0 right to 1/3rd. With a proper ESC, the throttle goes gradually up from 0 to whatever you set the throttle stick at. Better for your motor, gears, and it drives much more smooth. Also, you will have a proper brake, really locking the motor, whereas with an MSC you brake by slamming the motor into reverse. Try that with a real car...

Adding noise suppression to the motor will also help, but there may be another thing at hand here. If the new motor is much stronger than the old one, it may cause the voltage of the battery (also old perhaps) to drop below the threshold where it can still supply enough voltage to power the receiver. As a result, it will start glitching.

As for suppresion, this site has some excellent pics showing what cacitators to use (make sure you use ceramic ones, and no elco-type, as these will blow on reverse!) and how to neatly install these: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...apacitors.html

@tnt: please try to type things a little more clear, with some punctuation marks here and there. It tends to make it hard to understand what you are trying to say, and thus makes your answers less helpfull than these can be.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
First thing I did actually was buy a new battery (NiMH 3000Mah.) I also don't have the money right now to switch to an ESC. So for the time being I'm going to stick with my MSC.

I'll try the capacitors on the motor and see how it goes and let you know.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:42 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
A new ESC need not be that expensive, Hobby King has a well working one for about 10 dollar ex shipping. But if money is that tight, you should indeed try the capacitators, and check if the MSC is really in neutral with the throttle stick neutral.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Just got done with the capacitors and I'm putting it all back together now to see if it all works out. Already got everything in neutral as well.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined Jun 2014
7 Posts
Just tested everything a little bit of twitching in the steering and no more twitching with the MSC.

Thanks for the help I'm going to charge the battery back up and go have some fun.

Thanks again !