HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2010
234 Posts
Discussion
Template material?

Hi all,

I've just started to cut my own foam cores but I'm getting poor results. Now some of this I'm sure is my own tequnique but probably not all.

I think I could give myself a better chance with some better materials. Currently I'm making my aerofoil templates from 1/16 ply. It's east to work but hard to get a good finish on and the hot wire easily snags causing hills and dips in the foam.

I've heard Formica is a good material, but I can't seem to find a source on the net in the uk? Are there other materials that I should be considering?

Cheers

Tom
Sarboy is offline Find More Posts by Sarboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:43 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
583 Posts
http://www.topclasscarpentry.com/mak...ate%20Samples/

Buddy of mine lives in London buys his as samples and offcuts from Top Class.

T.D.
T.D. is online now Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:04 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Whichever material used, work hard to achieve a glass-smooth edge.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:21 AM
Liempde, Netherlands
Joined Jul 2007
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Whichever material used, work hard to achieve a glass-smooth edge.
I used to sand the guide surfaces of the ply very smooth, sometimes paint it with a lacquer to fill the pores, then apply a thick coat of carbon (with a carpenters pencil) for the wire to slip over. And go easy on the wire-pressure (downwards). Had good results this way.
ron gijzen is offline Find More Posts by ron gijzen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:31 AM
Harrington N.S.W. Australia
Joined Jul 2006
121 Posts
Hi Sarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
Hi all,

I've just started to cut my own foam cores but I'm getting poor results. Now some of this I'm sure is my own tequnique but probably not all.

I think I could give myself a better chance with some better materials. Currently I'm making my aerofoil templates from 1/16 ply. It's east to work but hard to get a good finish on and the hot wire easily snags causing hills and dips in the foam.

I've heard Formica is a good material, but I can't seem to find a source on the net in the uk? Are there other materials that I should be considering?

Cheers

Tom
Try thin Aluminium sheet 1/2mm thick works great for me..
John
john mc lucas is online now Find More Posts by john mc lucas
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:20 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,357 Posts
A good option for"disposable" templates is 2mm cardboard from an arty/crafty shop.Sold as backing board.It cuts really well-with a good sharp exacto and a spray glued paper pattern it's possible to cut in one pass.The knife blade leaves a polished surface.
A good way to get a smooth surface on a ply template is double sided tape and thin strips of aluminium(kitchen)foil.Works a treat.
Do some trials- I like the carbon from a pencil idea,I'll probably give that a go.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:27 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,082 Posts
I have used 1/16 ply with good results. I sand the edges with 400 grit paper then soak the edges with thin CA. After that I polish again with 400 and 600 paper until it I can run my finger nail along the edge without it hanging.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Feb 2010
132 Posts
thick cardboard, soaked in thin CA, then sanded with 400 grit, another pass of thin CA and re sand.
Good thing with cardboard is you can cut it with a stanley knife accurately, so I have found that it is the most time efficient way to get templates cut.
You can re use them as well - probably not indicated for heavy usage but I have had no problems re using the same set 4/5 times which is probably enough for most of us
leleopard is offline Find More Posts by leleopard
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Try brass once you have the foil shap and design you want. The resign being that brass has a natural lubricity to it, also take some 300 grit sand paper to the aluminum or brass and polish the edge and you should get a real nice cut. Thats just my two cents.
ian murdock is offline Find More Posts by ian murdock
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:32 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Polish the ply with 400 grit, then CA if you want as shown above. Last (important) step, take a pencil and completely coat the surface that the wire will touch. You'll find that the graphite lubricates the ply very well and wire will NOT snag again.

Construction pencils (the big ones at HD or Lowes) that have rectangular lead are great for this and stupid cheap.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2010
234 Posts
New templates with new front design and using dremal in a piller attachment to sand. This allowed a high degree of control in the sanding process. I then coated them in pencil lead/graphite. This has now produced much better cores. Here are some pics.

Old template design.

Name: image.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 189.8 KB
Description: Old template design.
Last edited by Sarboy; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
234 Posts
The new templates. I know this is quite a common shape but until I'd made a couple of cores I hadn't appreciated the advantages.

Views: 56
Size: 245.0 KB
Description: New template. Notice how the front of the template allows smooth transition around the leading edge.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Mar 2010
234 Posts
Here you might be able to see the carbon/graphite coating.

Views: 54
Size: 243.9 KB
Description: Graphite coated top surface.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Mar 2010
234 Posts
And the core this all produced. It's a vert stab.

Views: 59
Size: 195.4 KB
Description: Vert stab for DLG.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:12 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
I recoat mine every few sets of cores. I've been cutting cores since the 80s using 1/16 ply and graphite... Always make your final sanding pass by hand chord wise so you take off any micro bumps or ridges you can't necessarily see.

Good stuff! What foam are you cutting?
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004