HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Discussion
How to set up my new AR6400

Hi guys,
Might sound like a silly question, but Ive just bought an AR6400, set it up with a brushless esc and motor, all works fine BUT - Im using a dx5e TX, (mode 2) the model is only rudder & elevator, so how can I set both servos to work on the right stick? rather than having rudder on the left and elevator or the right as it is now? My instructions dont cover this (if it is even possible).. Any help would be great! Thanks
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:54 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
I dont think the AR6400 can be reprogramed to do this, maybe so but i doubt it. thats why the aileron servo plug is there. I want to do the same thing but I will do it by mixing the rudder and aileron by the TRx. If it can be done it would be nice to use the little trz that came with my Blade heli.

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Hi Pete,
I see what your saying Maybe if I use a TX from a Parkzone model that just has rudder / elevator ? as the model Im going to put it in doesnt need any more than a basic TX anyway. Otherwise I need to get another servo.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
It's the brick that is the issue. The rudder servo is coded to the 4th channel (Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder) so the only way to get it to the right stick is a mix which neither a DX5 or the little RTF transmitter can do.

The Champ has a 3 channel brick with the rudder on the right stick but it can't run a external esc. I don't see a solution other than a better TX.

RePete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Rewiring the TX sticks is really your only option without a Computer TX.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Thanks guys,
I guess a tx with rudder / aileron mixing is the best way then?
Mark
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Yes. One of the best deals out there is this DX6i with a park flyer receiver and 4 servos for $145. http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...FStgMgodW3gAYg
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:05 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Rewiring the TX sticks is really your only option without a Computer TX.
There is a description for rewiring the sticks using a DPTC switch at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post14649426
See Post 667 and 672. I followed Andy2No's excellent advice and my Dx5e has worked perfectly on the AR6400 and other Rxs ever since. Of course, buying a Dx6i or athe new HK OrangeRx T-SIX Transmitter (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html) are options too.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
JT2
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
I just ran into this same problem on a Mountain models kit I just built. Used a 6400 and the rudder wanted to be controlled by channel 4, on the DX5e left stick.

Fortunately, I had a 'spare' dsm2 radio that I got with a Hobbyzone Champ RTF, so I opened that up, cut two etches on the circuit board and swapped the left and right potentiometers for rudder/aileron. When doing this the trim buttons stay where they were (i.e.rudder trim on left stick).

Perhaps post in the classified ads here looking for a cheap Champ DSM2 radio?
perhaps this one: (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573498)

If you do go this route, and need help with the mods, let me know, and I can take some pictures of the etch cuts and the jumpers added.
JT2 is offline Find More Posts by JT2
Last edited by JT2; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: addition of post