HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
New Product
Spektrum DSM2 Module for Futaba Micro Trainer Port (Back in stock, ready to ship!)

Hi All,

I will be offering up for sale a Spektrum Module for Futaba Micro Trainer Port conversion boards.

What exactly is that you may ask yourself? Well, in short it is a small circuit board that when combined with a Spektrum Radio Module and an Integrated Radio Case can be used to control any Spektrum DSM2 model using a Futaba radio. The connection is made through the trainer port so this works with any Futaba radio that has micro trainer port (the rectangular one), even those without a module bay.

First of all, props go to IVANC from whom I got the design of the circuit, you can check his blog post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556607

Your next question probably is, why can't I just make one myself? Well, the short answer is yes, you can make one yourself. What I provide is the convenience of having a circuit that has been proven and allows you to put together the module without the need to do any soldering. All you need to do is some small modifications to the module and the case, plug it in and assemble the case, in about 20 minutes you have a fully working module with a minimum amount of effort.

So what does the process entail? Well, I'm glad you asked, in short here is a video showing what it takes to put it together:

Spektrum Module for Futaba Trainer Port. Fly UM, UMX and Blade BNF models (18 min 46 sec)

In the interest of total disclosure, I have currently only tested this module on the following radios (though I feel confident that it will work on any radio with a micro trainer port)
  • 8FG
  • 7C
  • 6EX

I have now made modules for the following radios as well, although I haven't actually tested them myself no one has contacted me to let me know that they don't work so under that premise I will assume (until told otherwise) that they do work.
  • 12FG (requires student to be turned ON for your PnP model program!)
  • 8J
  • 6J
  • 14SG
  • 14MZ (requires the powered module & for student to be turned ON for your PnP model program!)
  • 18MZ (requires the powered module & for student to be turned ON for your PnP model program!)

Some more details on what you will need to put it together:
You will need the actual DSM2 module found here...
You will need the integrated module case found here...
Thats it! Everything else you need you probably already have in your toolbox.

So how much will it set me back? Ah yeah, the quintessential question... Well in this case (and in all other cases for the foreseeable future), the plug-in board, shipped within the continental US, is available for $35.

I have now also added a Plug And Fly option. Please scroll down to post #10 for more details.

In addition I have added a an assembly option for Orange PNF module. For details on this option and how it works please check post #100.

Thanks to my friends at Wire-Keeps I have added an on-line order form here. If you are ready to order just fill it out, if you have questions send me a PM.

Feel free to ask any questions or post any comments below. If you want you can also post on my blog or send me a PM.

Is your bind button sticking? See post 36 and post 80 for some helpful hints.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Dec 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added Order Form
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
126 Posts
I want one for a futaba 8fg
dbar101219 is offline Find More Posts by dbar101219
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Forgot to mention, payment will be via PayPal. If you are ready to pull the trigger then send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will contact you via e-mail with all the details.. I have now added an order form, details in post #1.

I put these together on order so I will put a couple together this weekend and they should be ready for shipping early next week.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added Order Form Reference
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
126 Posts
ok I haven't pm anyone on here help
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbar101219 View Post
ok I haven't pm anyone on here help
You did just fine. I just sent you an e-mail.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
126 Posts
i have a ?? when using this module is futaba 8fg fully functional endpionts, subtrim, wing types, all mixes just like with a fasst reciver and can you setup different models with multiple DMS2 reciver?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
i have a ?? when using this module is futaba 8fg fully functional endpionts, subtrim, wing types, all mixes just like with a fasst reciver and can you setup different models with multiple DMS2 reciver?
Yes, full programming (everything you mention above) is still available with the exception of two things:
  1. The module only supports the first 8 channels (think 8 channel receiver).
  2. There is no model match (just like any other module).

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2011
126 Posts
I got it today, but it will be Monday before it the module and the case come in. Do you think this will work with the new Futaba T6J??

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
I got it today, but it will be Monday before it the module and the case come in. Do you think this will work with the new Futaba T6J??

Thanks
Hi Dale,

I do not have a T6J to test with but I tried to do some research so here goes:

Interestingly enough (though not surprising) the manual for the T6J doesn't show a picture of the back but looking at this one here I have a couple of observations:
  1. Voltage is 4.8 - 6 V so it's lower than either the 6EX or the 8FG. However, as far as I can research the DM8 works on 3.3V so there should be no issues with the lower voltage.
  2. The module port is the mini trainer port (not surprisingly) but as opposed to the 8FG it is the right-side-up version ot the up-side-down version that the 8FG has. For this reason I would recommend a module with the long trainer cord adapter, this will allow you to mount it in the back with the antenna pointing up and the cable looping around to face the correct direction for the port.

All this being said, I believe that it should work with no issues but as mentioned above, I have not tested it. If you do have a chance to test it then please let me know if it works so that I can add it to the list of the confirmed transmitters.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
I will be providing Plug And Fly Modules

Hello,

So I've had some inquiries about providing Plug And Fly modules and at first I had been a little resistant to the thought as it's a big investment in time and effort and in the past I have had bad luck where I have come out behind on the transactions (i.e. stuck with a receiver I have to find a customer for).
Nonetheless, due to interest, I have decided to offer complete modules ready to plug-in and use.

These modules will be offered under the following conditions:
  • They will be built to order, I do not stock the DM8 module or the integrated case.
  • I will place the order for these two components after I have received payment for the module, this way I won't have to tie up my own money in the process.
  • I will ship the module together with the AR7010 receiver that it comes with. It will be the buyers to do with as they wish. This receiver has a street price listed by Horizon of $90 though the average price on eBay for one that is not in retail packaging (as this one will be, not in retail packaging that is) is $50 - $65.
  • I will not ship the entire retail packaging and components from the module and case. I will instead ship in a small Priority Mail Flat Rate Box with Delivery Confirmation. This box will contain the completed module, the manual for the module, the AR7010 receiver & satellite and the bind plug. All other pieces I will keep though they will most probably be discarded.

The best price that I have found for the module and case are here:
This means that the cost for the entire plug and fly module would be:
  • DM8 Module: $110
  • Integrated Case: $12.50
  • Adapter Board: $35
  • Assembly and additional shipping charge: $11.50
  • Total: $169

That's it; if anyone is interested you can post on my blog or send me a private message or just place an order through my order form here.

Regards,

- Birger

P.S. I have made a small change to pricing to keep things simpler for me and because it is taking me more time to assemble these than originally expected. Assembly will be increased from $10 to $11.50 thus making to total $169.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Sep 17, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
I also wanted to post a note letting everyone know that I have enough materials to make 2 more adapter boards. Once these two are sold there will be a 2-3 week wait as I wait for new printed circuit boards to be delivered.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
You are right. Actual cost of the Spektrum module is about $20 to 35. It comes with a $90 receiver. If you want the receiver, the module costs $20. If you don't want the receiver, buy the $110 package and sell the receiver for $75. Module costs you $35. That is what I did. I had all the receivers I needed. I just wanted the module.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
You are right. Actual cost of the Spektrum module is about $20 to 35. It comes with a $90 receiver. If you want the receiver, the module costs $20. If you don't want the receiver, buy the $110 package and sell the receiver for $75. Module costs you $35. That is what I did. I had all the receivers I needed. I just wanted the module.
Right, except the Spektrum module only works with a handful of radios out of the box. With this mod it will work with most (if not all) radios through the micro trainer port. All the details can be found in the first post.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Right, except the Spektrum module only works with a handful of radios out of the box. With this mod it will work with most (if not all) radios through the micro trainer port. All the details can be found in the first post.

- Birger
Let me restate what I was saying.

If your package is 167 shipped, less $90 value of the receiver, that makes your net price $77 for a system that will allow virtually any radio to fly a spektrum receiver or BNF plane. That is not bad!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Let me restate what I was saying.

If your package is 167 shipped, less $90 value of the receiver, that makes your net price $77 for a system that will allow virtually any radio to fly a spektrum receiver or BNF plane. That is not bad!
Thanks for that!

Just to be clear, I don't want anyone to say that I was deceptive later.
Most - if not all - Futaba radios with a micro trainer port.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member