HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:39 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,509 Posts
Im sorry but I think learning with a D60 will just end in tears, they are too fast and any mouldy will break when you crash too hard. Ive seen a few guys who were really good flyers try to learn ds with mouldies and they just ended up smashing all their planes. Seriously, if you're taking a week off work and paying to got there, at least get a bee and I'll teach you how to build a fast tough foamy that will survive long enough to learn how to ds.
Josh
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Im sorry but I think learning with a D60 will just end in tears, they are too fast and any mouldy will break when you crash too hard. Ive seen a few guys who were really good flyers try to learn ds with mouldies and they just ended up smashing all their planes. Seriously, if you're taking a week off work and paying to got there, at least get a bee and I'll teach you how to build a fast tough foamy that will survive long enough to learn how to ds.
Josh
Point taken i have the tipan but how do you think a "JW" using that blue foam would go and cutting our own?
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
R.I.P
Joined Jan 2010
3,509 Posts
Then it just becomes fragile like a mouldy again. It needs to be EPP to have a chance because it will bounce. I think a beevolution is about $85 posted, add some shoo goo and laminating film and a couple of servos and youve got a really good plane for under $150. If you supply the parts I can build it for you even or show you how. Im starting to get much more interested in foam again, because they go fast but there is so much less stress involved!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Haha fantastic, I love your enthusiasm!

I agree, no better place to learn than here. Well actually Weldon would be my pick of best place to learn DS but that cost a LOT more to get there
Don't really know why I have never tried. I first watch DS at camperdown about 12 years ago and every year since

I think I will start looking into a JW but after paying for the trip my aircraft budget is a little low. Birthdays comming up in September.

Also have a little hk foam parkjet ??that needs building. So even if my foam ends up broken (it wll) I should have a good range to fly on the front and when wind picks up and we start to see WR speeds happy to hold the gun.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,658 Posts
I will have a spare foamy or two. Just bring a spare receiver
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
I will have a spare foamy or two. Just bring a spare receiver
Thank alex i will have the bat and tipan but wife has told me no more planes. Guess if I do happen to purchase one at each site we visit while in NZ they would be a souvenirs.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:46 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,658 Posts
Lol just say you traded models
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
What happens on tour stays on tour
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:34 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,658 Posts
:EDIT: Posted in wrong thread
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
What would you bring over for december if you were me Alex?
I should be able to get back into building again pretty soon, with a big hot box on the way (made of expol under floor foam- cheap!) and this week is operation draft proof shed- so its worth turning on my heater.
Bringin the discussion back over to the correct thread.

Learning from my US trip, it was supposed to be the windy season over there when we went, but only had two real windy days when I was there over 2 1/2 weeks. If you look at my videos and the reports, we did often get some wind and almost always managed to get some DS in each day.

SOooooo looking at model terms, we mostly flew the Scratcho and BPV, even the DLG got more airtime than anything.

My reccommendation is that a great flying light air model will be your most important/valuable model to bring, followed by a medium weight (something for 20-30mph winds) as second most important, closely followed by a heavy model for going fast on a big day.

I packed heavy for the US with expectations of big wind. I only flew the K100 once, and Windburner twice. I wish I had taken a light-medium wind model like Andrew's BPV. My D60 had a few flights, and I would reccommend one of those

I am not saying there won't be a big day, but just avoid the the expectation as the dissapointment of not getting one in the US was a dissapointment
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:17 PM
R.I.P
Joined Jan 2010
3,509 Posts
Thanks Alex Will do
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,658 Posts
A nice light Scorcher, as light as you can, maybe try the PU foam for core material like Andrew just tried, would be perfect lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
A nice light Scorcher, as light as you can, maybe try the PU foam for core material like Andrew just tried, would be perfect lol
Josh, can you build light? Lol
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:48 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Josh, your Scorcher flew beautifully in maybe 10knots at Mt Black.
Just beef up the batteries

... and bring a spare fuselage.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
Josh, your Scorcher flew beautifully in maybe 10knots at Mt Black.
Just beef up the batteries

... and bring a spare fuselage.
It was luck to be 10knots but I think his current one is heavier.