SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, GA, LaGrange
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Cool
Great Planes Patriot converted to electric

After doing much research, I pulled my crashed Patriot out of the attic and went to work rebuilding it to convert it to electric. I had taken a hit on the old 72mhz back in '03-'04 and it nosed in on landing right over the paved runway tearing about 8 inches of the right side fuse off. Luckily, did I not only pick up all the pieces, I actually kept and found them in the attic, which made the rebuild drastically easier. Anyway, after rebuilding, I had to pick my poison. After doing much research online, I wasn't finding much on Patriot conversions so I went at it on my own. Since this was an experiment, I tried to keep it reasonably priced knowing that I could spend some dough on a very good motor later. Using Motocal, I ended up going with the Great Planes Ammo inrunner 36-88-1280, swinging an APC 9x6 prop, Castle 100A ESC, and will be running on two parallel 6S 3000mah batteries. I also pulled the mangled Hobbico mechanical retracts(remember, I was landing when it went in) and replaced them with a set of RC Lander electric retracts and a set of suspension struts. Due to the Ammo motor, and coming from nitro, I enclosed the right side of the cowl, had to lengthen it buy about 3/4", and made an intake on the bottom side for cooling air. I also had to make a custom motor mount for it, one that would be narrow enough for the cowl, but long enough also. I have everything installed and am just waiting on my spinner to come off back order to test this thing out. It came out to 5lbs RTF, minus the batteries, which I thought was pretty good, and according to MotoCal, this setup should push it to 110mph at full throttle.We will see on that when I get to test fly it. Should be fun.

This was it in '03-'04 on an O.S. nitro with a tuned pipe. Yes, it was complete with missle rails and missles.......

and this is it now on clean electric power........
CJRAY is offline Find More Posts by CJRAY
Last edited by CJRAY; May 21, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, MS, Starkville
Joined May 2009
119 Posts
That's gonna scream! Keep us updated
jmd87 is offline Find More Posts by jmd87
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd87 View Post
That's gonna scream! Keep us updated
I hope so! Will do.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
started another thread for this post....
Last edited by CJRAY; Apr 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
just make sure if you ditched the old 72mhz system for a new 2.4ghz system, that the new system is up to it. beware on these quick planes that cover a lot of ground in a hurry. 2.4ghz range is... half or less than decent 72mhz ever had.

just be very sure to do a good range check on it.

looks baller. love the blue.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
just make sure if you ditched the old 72mhz system for a new 2.4ghz system, that the new system is up to it. beware on these quick planes that cover a lot of ground in a hurry. 2.4ghz range is... half or less than decent 72mhz ever had.

just be very sure to do a good range check on it.

looks baller. love the blue.
Yeah, I'm flying Spectrum now. Gave the old 9C a rest. It would scream before, just wondering how it's going to do now. Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Well, I still need a watt meter, but I ran it up to about half throttle, and it has some power.....WOW!
Old May 01, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Just FYI, on 6s power, I was getting 14500 rpm at 50% throttle! I remade a 6s pack with a bad cell into a 5s for this thing, that will slow it down but still has very, very good power. I borrowed a watt meter from a fellow club member, but noticed that it's only rated for 100A and I should be pulling more than that, at least with the 6s, and I don't want to cook someone else's meter. It's a Watt's Up. Any suggestions?
Old May 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
figured it out.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Old May 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
perhaps its LVC with the 5S ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old May 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
perhaps its LVC with the 5S ?
Maybe, but it should be pushing plenty with a 5s, doesn't mean it is though. I don;t have a watt meter that will cover the amps I'm pulling to check it so.....
Old May 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
LVC is not related to amps.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old May 11, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
LVC is not related to amps.
Yeah, shouldn't have said that, I wasn't thinking. It's been a bad week. Don't think 18.5v is enough? The motor is supposed to run on 5s or 6s. It's not a big deal, I'm going to run 6s, but thought I might be able to run both.