HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:11 PM
Registered User
HELI-MECH's Avatar
Canada, ON, Dryden
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Would these work? Or do I need a threaded control horn to use?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...mm_10pcs_.html
I personally wouldn't use them, but see why other guys say, looks like there is no safety feature and has the possibility to pop off...
HELI-MECH is offline Find More Posts by HELI-MECH
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:37 PM
Registered User
HELI-MECH's Avatar
Canada, ON, Dryden
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
What is the biggest, lightest 4s battery for this plane? Is the zippy compact 4s 2700 35c a good choice? https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html
HELI-MECH is offline Find More Posts by HELI-MECH
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:43 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Nukiwi's Avatar
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI-MECH View Post
What is the biggest, lightest 4s battery for this plane? Is the zippy compact 4s 2700 35c a good choice? https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html
Don't see why not. It is only 45g more than the 2200 I am using.
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:48 PM
SportsSedanMan
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined May 2013
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Would these work? Or do I need a threaded control horn to use?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...mm_10pcs_.html
I bought some of those but did not end up using them. They would work fine though.

I used these:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0pcs_set_.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0pcs_set_.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2pcs_bag_.html

Photos on post #5340
Sportssedanman is offline Find More Posts by Sportssedanman
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:54 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Nukiwi's Avatar
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
578 Posts
Yes, use exactly the same as on mine.
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Last edited by Nukiwi; Oct 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:01 AM
I want just one more plane!
timwj1's Avatar
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
513 Posts
Battery choice

There are smaller and lighter than this one, higher discharge rate, but I prefer longer flight times and I've started using this one:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-4s-t.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI-MECH View Post
What is the biggest, lightest 4s battery for this plane? Is the zippy compact 4s 2700 35c a good choice? https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:16 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Hey guys,

Thank for all the valuable info!

I went back and read some other posts and saw where someone was having issues with the 42/38 and the Plush 60. I've already ordered the plush 60 before reading that.... any ideas? Should I just save that guy and go a different route with ESC or maybe get a programming card or something?
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:23 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Also, what bullets do I need for the motor/ESC? The page on the motor says 3.5mm but Ive read that its actually 4mm?
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2014, 09:02 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Nukiwi's Avatar
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Hey guys,

Thank for all the valuable info!

I went back and read some other posts and saw where someone was having issues with the 42/38 and the Plush 60. I've already ordered the plush 60 before reading that.... any ideas? Should I just save that guy and go a different route with ESC or maybe get a programming card or something?
Go with a different ESC. I tried (for hours ) with the programming card & got nowhere....
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:08 PM
Registered User
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
153 Posts
I seem to be fine with NTM 42/38 and Plush 60, so your mileage might wary. And yeah, the connectors on my NTM are 4mm.

I had some other weird problems. I originally ran the plane on 5v (from ESC) as I didn't have external BEC. Finally got my Turnigy BEC, but that's where the problems began. Basically my Savox 255 servos suck so much watts in a peak during power on, that the Turnigy BEC just heated and the receiver didn't even start. I debugged this for some time before really noticing that the servos caused this (finally with watt meter). First I thought it was problem with BEC and then also thought that my Spektrum telemetry caused this. Sometimes the system was capable of starting normally, but sometimes not. And this was evident on several HobbyKing BECs and ESCs. Eventually I decided to order Castle Creations BEC and everything is fine with it, no single glitch after switching to it.

The good point of all this debugging is that I replaced ESC and receiver with lighter alternatives shaving of extra weight from the plane.
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
Registered User
HELI-MECH's Avatar
Canada, ON, Dryden
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late99 View Post
I seem to be fine with NTM 42/38 and Plush 60, so your mileage might wary. And yeah, the connectors on my NTM are 4mm.

I had some other weird problems. I originally ran the plane on 5v (from ESC) as I didn't have external BEC. Finally got my Turnigy BEC, but that's where the problems began. Basically my Savox 255 servos suck so much watts in a peak during power on, that the Turnigy BEC just heated and the receiver didn't even start. I debugged this for some time before really noticing that the servos caused this (finally with watt meter). First I thought it was problem with BEC and then also thought that my Spektrum telemetry caused this. Sometimes the system was capable of starting normally, but sometimes not. And this was evident on several HobbyKing BECs and ESCs. Eventually I decided to order Castle Creations BEC and everything is fine with it, no single glitch after switching to it.

The good point of all this debugging is that I replaced ESC and receiver with lighter alternatives shaving of extra weight from the plane.

Damn... Just when I had the plush out of mind... Nice looking mods, well I guess I'll be rethinking the esc and going with maybe the plush.
HELI-MECH is offline Find More Posts by HELI-MECH
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:52 AM
I want just one more plane!
timwj1's Avatar
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
513 Posts
I think my Slick was suffering a bit from elevator blowback with my Hs65mg's so I decided to install a HS82mg I had on hand, I had to re-work the servo slot, it worked pretty well but it changed my battery position enough to where I couldn't balance it without losing a battery strap location, so I shopped around and decided to try a Hitec HS-70mg, added a CC Bec so I could run it on 6 volts and it now balances good and has much better elevator authority.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 02:25 PM
Registered User
HELI-MECH's Avatar
Canada, ON, Dryden
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
Anti-Rock Rudder

I went ahead and built the ANTI-ROCK Rudder before assembly of the plane. I'll start with this rudder right from the get go. Hopefully i gain a little performance with this mod, but it was simple enough to do regardless. What weight did anyone else get on this? I got about 13.3 Grams before covering of the new rudder.
HELI-MECH is offline Find More Posts by HELI-MECH
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official-Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick 32" Slickinsaneness Build/Fly Thread Tom K. 3D Foamies 1346 Nov 24, 2014 10:53 AM
Build Log The Official Raven 3M build thread has begun. Windependence Sailplane Talk 1560 Oct 25, 2014 12:58 AM
Discussion Official Hobbyking 720p HD Camera Thread jaskel FPV Equipment 529 Sep 19, 2014 09:06 AM
New Product HK DuraFly Micro Slick 360 2S - Official Thread will3d4food Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 873 Aug 16, 2014 12:36 PM
New Product Turnigy SLICK 3D 1.3M -HOBBYKING Official Build Thread will3d4food 3D Flying 1975 Jul 17, 2014 08:40 AM